• Show
Clear All
  • abbi'sdad
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2007
    • Texas
    • BT3000

Which should come next

Ok for christmas my wife bought me a really nice grizzly cabinet saw. And now i'm considering going to a fully blown woodshop instead of shop/garage. well i have some smaller benchtop HF type tools such as thickness planer and small OLD jointer but could possibly have the opportunity to get a really nice upgrade to one of them or a drum sander. My question is In everyone elses opinion which should come next A 15"-20" planer, a 8" jointer, or a nice drum sander. Just trying to start doing research.
    Thanks for input
  • conwaygolfer
    Established Member
    • Jun 2008
    • Conway, SC.
    • BT3000

First you have to build the fully blown woodshop. Then start filling it with new toys. Does your wife have a sister? Any age, any size - MUST have money....

Conwaygolfer

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

What you get next depends on the work you're planning to do. However, sooner than later, you're gonna need a dust collector.

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

A camera.

So you can show us what you get. Starting with this nice new saw... !
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I wouldn't buy a big stationary planer or an 8" jointer unless I could get both at the same time. In fact I'm not sure I'd buy a big stationary planer at all, unless I had unlimited room and/or money. The better "lunch box" planers are really good nowadays, and their depth-of-cut and ~12"-13" widths are all most people need unless they are doing a LOT of rough lumber surfacing (as in, turning the machine on and running it all day).

Most people find that a drum sander is a tool you didn't realize how much you needed until you got one into your shop. I was no exception. I anticipated using mine a fair amount; what I didn't realize was that I'd turn to it almost as much as any other tool in the shop excepting the table saw and, possibly, the miter saw. If your existing jointer and planer are any degree of adequate, I'd give some serious thought to a drum sander.

However, what other tools do you have? Band saw? Drill press? The dust collector that UC asks about? I'd put all of those ahead of a drum sander. But as has been mentioned, it all depends on what you're planning to build.
          Larry

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

most of us, instead of a 20" planer OR a 8" Jointer
            would buy both a 12" planer and a 6" jointer for the same amount of money as either of those individually.

If you can afford the bigger tools, you really need both at once.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JR
              The Full Monte
              • Feb 2004
              • Eugene, OR
              • BT3000

Presuming this is a legitimate question, as opposed to a stealth gloat on the Griz (as it would be if I was posting it!), I'd think you could defer the drum sander purchase.

Table saw, jointer, and thickness planer are all fundamental to working wood. A drum sander is very helpful, but not mandatory, IMHO.

As has been mentioned, you need to start planning for proper dust collection. Even shopping for bargains it'll cost you several hundred dollars.

JR
              JR

Comment

• crokett
                The Full Monte
                • Jan 2003
                • Mebane, NC, USA.
                • Ryobi BT3000

I concur with the recommendation for a smaller jointer or planer unless you have the room to keep them stationary. And by 'room' I mean the 8' or so on each side of the tools to feed stock through. I would start with getting dust collection first. I wish I had started there way back when.
                David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Not much to add beyond another mention that if you already have a decent lunchbox planer, and jointer, then you really need to be considering dust collection... I know guys with big planers, and they never plane anything that my 13" benchtop unit won't handle... An 8" jointer might be nice compared to a 6" model, but cheap and easy to build sleds will let you face joint stock as wide as your planer will handle. So no real need for an 8" model over a 6"... Yes going right over a planer instead of using a sled is quicker, but how often do you run out of room on a 6"? I have, once...

If it were me, budget not restricted, building a new shop I would...

#1. Building. If you can afford to, get a building in place, insluated, heated / cooled, and powered up first...

#2. Table saw. You already have that.
                  #3. Lunchbox planer. You already have that.
                  #4. Jointer. Not sure what you mean by small. But you say HF type tools. If you have the HF floor model 6" jointer, that is a decent machine, maintain it, perhaps put a helical head on it if you want to, but run the snot out of it.
                  #5. Good router and router table, or router wing for table saw and fence...
                  #6. Drill Press. You need good, straight holes. While I like my Northern Industrial DP, I really would have liked a Ridgid DP1150 as a minimum. You really should go for a DP with a 3 1/2" quill travel... Preferably 3 3/4" or better...
                  #7. Dust collector. By now you are making a LOT of dust...
                  #8. Band Saw...

You get the idea...
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Hoover
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2003
                    • USA.

Dust collector-Harbor Freight has a good 2 hp(?) floor model. Also if you already don't have one, you need a good work bench. Either store bought or build it your self. An old solid core door on top of 2 sawhorses is a start. Good luck with your new shop!
                    No good deed goes unpunished

Comment

• abbi'sdad
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Oct 2007
                      • Texas
                      • BT3000

Thanks for everyones response so far, sorry I guess I left a little info out that I could have shared. I do already have a dust collector, a nice drill press, a 4in old rockwell jointer and a HF 12 1/2 " planer. I prolly could understand upgrading to a better lunchbox planer and possibly a 6in jointer I've just always heard if your gonna upgrade a jointer better go with 8in cause once you get the 6 you'll want the 8. As far as what I'll be building prolly more cabintry for now but love building furinture also. And yes I have a camera and will try to post pics of the saw when I get a chance. Again thanks for all the input guys.

Comment

• drumpriest
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2004
                        • Pittsburgh, Pa, USA.
                        • Powermatic PM 2000

I would recommend a jointer upgrade first, if you are not having major issues with your planer. The reasoning is that at 12 1/2" you are actually doing quite well unless you want to plane glue-ups (which can be helpful, don't get me wrong).

Unlike JR, I find my drum sander to be indispensable, I could not do the work I do without one, but I tend to do quite a bit of playing around with veneers.

Have you considered something like the Jet combo machine? 12" jointer and planer in one machine. Takes up less footprint than having the 2 separate machines, but it's less convenient because of the switching back and forth.

For reference, I have an 8" Jet jointer and the 13" Dewalt planer. I fine the planer to be lacking from time to time, mostly in knife quality and power, but the jointer is just fine. Buy industrial if you can afford it. I like the long beds on my 8" jointer, and I do face jointing from time to time, especially for cutting veneers.
                        Keith Z. Leonard
                        Go Steelers!

Comment

• annunaki
                          • Jan 2008
                          • White Springs, Florida
                          • 21829, BT3100, 2-BT3000(15amp)

Easy One

Wet Bar !
                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileodecahedron.gif

Comment

• abbi'sdad
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Oct 2007
                            • Texas
                            • BT3000

lets see if i can get the pics uploaded right

if it works right u should see the grizzly 1023sl i got an incra ls really cheap and built the mobile base for it and a nice lil set of drawers for some extra tool storage.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• radhak
                              Veteran Member
                              • Apr 2006
                              • Miramar, FL
                              • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Oooh...nice setup! Now we are talking!

Great drawers - are those also mobile?
                              It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                              - Aristotle

Comment

Working...