X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BenW
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2007

How do you file/store manuals & docs?

I'm trying to make my tool manuals a usable (or at least tidy) part of my shop instead of a heap of recyclables gathering sawdust.

Bought a planer from a guy a while back & he plucked the manual out of his shop's filing cabinet & gave it to me, no fuss. Wish I'd asked him his organization method, because every time I try to decide on one I get conceptually crossed-up.

My plan is to do as he did, filing cabinet with hanging files. And will keep the spare parts/loose tools in the file with the info. Probably purchase & warranty info, too. I guess my real question is, do you...

(a) File at all? (If not... what?)

(b) Organize by...
    - manufacturer? (that's not how I generally think of my tools)
    - tool type? (was it "saw" or "circular" or "Skil... wait, that's a manufacturer)
    - categories/sub-categories? (finish tools, air tools, air finishing gun... hmm)
    - chronological by purchase date? (my current stack method)

Thanks for any input before entropy completely takes over.
    --Ben

p.s. Same question can be asked of intended/completed project info. I'm not to a critical mass of that yet. But if you want to share some thoughts, I'm interested.
  • JimDantin
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2009
    • Prospect, KY
    • BT3000

I tend to store manuals in either expandable file folders (the kind with dividers) or in rigid filing boxes like this

The key for me is to keep them in one place, not organization. The house-related manuals stay in one folder, shop stuff in another. The kitchen appliances are all in one flexible folder that's in the bottom of a drawer in the kitchen.

Comment

• pelligrini
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2007
      • Fort Worth, TX
      • Craftsman 21829

There's a stack on the open shelves in my shop attracting dust, mixed with drawings I've printed. There's a couple piles in my office. There are several upstairs in a woodworking mag pile. I'm sure there are more in a couple "ought to hold onto that" boxes in my office closet. The file folders I got for them a couple years ago are still empty.

There are PDF manuals on my shop laptop and on my office computer in no particular places either.
      Erik

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

I bought a small plastic hanging file box with lid and handle from office depot - files about 10" deep. Hanging folders about 10-12 in number labeled A-B, C-D etc,
        I file by machine type, e.g. band saw stuff goes in B, Table saw in T, Compound Miter saw in C, etc.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I staple the receipts to the inside of the manual and file them in a filing cabinet.
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

I keep owners manuals in Pendaflex folders together, but in alphabetical order. Drawings are something else. Clients folders (11"x17") are kept individually in Pendaflex files, alphabetically. Rolled plans are kept on a deep shelf with an index label referencing the file folder for that client.

Tool and material catalogs that are punched or can be punched are kept in three ring binders.

Comment

• charliex
              • Mar 2004
              • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
              • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

I'm with Loring & Jim.. File box in shop. Categories are large machines, small pwr tools, hand tools, etc. Only takes a few seconds of searching to find what I need. I staple the sales receipt inside the front cover of each manual.
              Chas

Comment

• HarmsWay
                • Nov 2003
                • Victoria, BC
                • BT3000

In binders by manufacturer. I enter everything in a database (update about once a year) to aid searching. The database has everything for the house - not just the shop - but the shop binders are separate. There is also a binder in the shed for tools like mowers, chain saws, weed eaters, etc. The database tells me which binder stuff is in and makes it easier to search. It can also print out tables of contents for the binders for a hard copy version. I also use the database to record information for insurance such as serial numbers, purchase price, etc. I was going to put photos in but I haven't yet.

Bob

Comment

• RAFlorida
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2008
                  • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Got a metal filing cabinet in the shop,

with hanging folders. Keep 'em organized by the type of tools. All the lawn equipment, the well with motor and tank, so on and so forth. The shop tools' manuals are in there and it makes for easy and quick finding when necessary. Years ago I would keep those manuals in the house in the other filing cabinets, and that made for unnecessary trips back and forth to the house-workshop.

Comment

• twistsol
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I have a file cabinet in the office by my shop. I keep everything sorted brand. This typically leaves me with at most 10 manuals in any one category.

Receipts are all scanned and maintained in NeatReceipts/NeatWorks on my Mac and it lets me add serial numbers into the database. I can search by a number of keywords, date, vendor, and all receipts are are run through OCR.
                    Chr's

Comment

• sparkeyjames
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Redford MI.
                      • Craftsman 21829

I open the file cabinet drawer that is specifically reserved for manuals and such. I toss it in close it and wipe my hands. No organization just a big ol pile of manuals and such in there. When it reaches the top I'll organize with file folders and put them on the built in hangars (the drawer is deeper front to back than it is top to bottom) There are years worth of room left in that drawer.

Comment

• Pappy
                        The Full Monte
                        • Dec 2002
                        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 (x2)

File?????

Mine are all around here somewhere's. Shop, workroom, file cabinet, on top of my drawing table....

but they are here....

I think.....
                        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                        Fools because they have to say something.
                        Plato

Comment

• jabe
                          • Apr 2006
                          • Hilo, Hawaii
                          • Ryobi BT3000 & Delta Milwaukee 10" tilting Table circular saw

Metal file cabinet with hanging folders in no particular order. Manuals that I used often will be on a shelf in a 3 ring folder. Also staple a copy of the sales reciepts in the respective manuals.

Comment

• smorris
                            • Apr 2003
                            • Tampa, Florida, USA.

There is a drawer in the workbench devoted to manuals. It's getting kinda full so maybe I need to get a box to dump them into. I can always find what I need in a few minutes of rummaging in that drawer. Some I use a lot, like the dovetail jig, those are on a clipboard hanging on the wall.
                            --
                            Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• cwsmith
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2005
                              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                              • BT3100-1

I started off years ago, by keeping them in open pocket folders (the rust red type).

I now place each one in a plastic bag (made for documents) and place those in a large plastic folder with velcro fastened flap.

However, I make it a point to download PDF copys for every tool that I have. For the old 70's tools, I have scanned them and made PDF files for them. For me, it's much easier to locate and to view... as I can blow them up on the screen if necessary.

I also scan all the receipts and even those little partial page instructions that you often receive with some tools, electronic items, etc. My scanner has become a very important tool and I use PaperPort software to enhance and make the PDF files. I also keep a database on all my tools, which includes the brand, model, serial number, purchase date, price, and basic stuff like RPM, amps, hp, etc.

CWS
                              Last edited by cwsmith; 11-17-2009, 12:53 AM.
                              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...