• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Lumber Rack - How Much Weight

does it have to carry? Or is that like asking how deep a hole is?. I did some searching and found Loring's design.

This forum is the place to post photos of your completed projects. Please try to limit pictures to 540px wide or less so that is is viewable to all. Off-topic threads in this forum will periodically be purged so as to keep it "clean".

I will do something similar with 2x4s counterbored and lag screwed to one of the walls. I am surprised he used PVC for the arms. I understand the dowels reinforcing them but didn't think PVC was strong enough for that.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

You'll know how much weight the rack will not hold when it fails. Since you're fastening it to a wall will help. As for Lorings design, I would worry about it being tipsy even with sheet stock on the back side.

In one of my shops I used 2x4's vertically on the wall, and used 2x4's for the supports. I dadoed them into the sides of the 2x4's (glue and lags). They projected about 16" and could hold some decent weight. I would guess 200-300 pounds each level.

Comment

• headhunter636
      Established Member
      • Jul 2004
      • Federal Way, WA
      • Ryobi BT 3000

I made a rack very similar to the one by Loring but I rested the bottoms of the 2x4 on the cement ledge of my garage and lag bolted the support 2x4 directly into the studs. At one time, I had it filled up pretty high and never had an issue with strength. I like the mobile idea but I am with Cabinetman on the stability of it all.
      Dave

BT3000

"98% of all statistics are made up"

Comment

• poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

David,

This thread about shelving loads a "how much wood weighs" may also help, or NOT

This forum is devoted to discussions about shop setup, layout and design. Topics here include wiring, wood and tool storage, floorplans, dust collection, and basically all the infrastructural stuff not directly related to specific projects and tools. Pictures of members' shops are welcome and encouraged.
        Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
        techzibits.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

i didnt use PVC, I used EMT conduit. The PVC was just a sleeve so the conduit didn't leave stains from the galvanizing (needless worry?) See post 24 in that thread and also Read the details http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=36523. I think I also estimated the weights.

I gave a lot of design details and how I arrived at them. Read carefully, follow all the links.
          Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-14-2009, 06:37 PM.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• crokett
            The Full Monte
            • Jan 2003
            • Mebane, NC, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3000

Thanks Loring. I missed the part about the EMT and was thinking you hammered dowels into PVC conduit. I will look into using the EMT. I might already have some laying around. I might also price out black pipe. That would be plenty strong and I know I already have some laying around. My lumber rack also isn't going to be nearly as big as yours.
            David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by crokett
              Thanks Loring. I missed the part about the EMT and was thinking you hammered dowels into PVC conduit. I will look into using the EMT. I might already have some laying around. I might also price out black pipe. That would be plenty strong and I know I already have some laying around. My lumber rack also isn't going to be nearly as big as yours.

EMT was by far the cheapest metal tubulars i could find, including black pipe.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Photojosh
                Established Member
                • Aug 2009
                • Washington (the state)

I gotta tell you, I thought about doing the pipe thing. But for the cost and trouble, I just went with rack system from Grizzly. Same as the ones offered at the other woodworking places, just cheaper:

Grizzly Industrial, Inc. is a national retail and internet company providing a wide variety of high-quality woodworking and metalworking machinery, power tools, hand tools and accessories. By selling directly to end users we provide the best quality products at the best price to professionals and hobbyists.

Went together in an afternoon.

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

I had some 1 1/4" wood dowel fall into my lap for free so I will use that for the lumber rack. I will drill the holes then put the dowel in then pin it with a screw.
                  David

Comment

• footprintsinconc
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2006
                    • Roseville (Sacramento), CA
                    • BT3100

if you read this thread, you will see what i did. primarily i did what loring did, except that i put it on the wall. i placed the stud at every stud location and drilled multiple holes so that i can have different combinations of shelving available and control the load coming to the wall studs.

in fact i did some calcs, with the roof load on, i can load it to approx 500lb each wall stud to max the moment capacity of a douglas fir spruce stud in the strong direction.

Comment

• billwmeyer
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2003
                      • Weir, Ks, USA.
                      • BT3000

I built my lumber rack basically the same way. My 2X4's rest on the floor and used metal conduit. I added angeled 2 X 4 supports under a 3/4" piece of plywood to make a bench for some storage with pegboard above it. So I have lumber stored under and over the bench. I have never had a problem with the strength of it. The Bench is rock solid.

Bill
                      "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

Working...