• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
    Less walk. Seems like an improvement to me (on my feet an average 14 hours a day). Thanks
    except you have an equal chance of tripping either the near one or the far one. And a good chance of tripping both... You won't be saving any walking. And like i said, you shouldn't be tripping them that often, if you do, then you need to fix the problem and not depend on the safety device.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• master53yoda
      Established Member
      • Oct 2008
      • Spokane Washington
      • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

I have found working in the field that when using the corded GFCIs plugged into a GCI circuit that I got nusance triping of the GFCI circuit. I can't tell you why unless it is the added capacitor affect of the extension cords, If a boost transformers at the end of the run is used it trips them quite often.

I wouldn't add one if it was me but that is only opinion.
      Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• JSUPreston
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • Montgomery, AL.
        • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

The addition on my house has two GFCI in series. One is in the laundry room with the washer plugged into it. After it, 2 interior outlets and then an exterior GFCI outlet. The exterior I believe is the end of the series. If it isn't then there is only one additional interior outlet that may be on down the line.

I went several rounds with the contractor and electrician over this setup, but since I rent the house and don't own it (in-laws own it), I couldn't really put my foot down. On the exterior outlet, I told them I wanted it in a waterproofed exterior box. "It's under the carport where water will never get to it. You don't need the box because its GFCI."

Wrong. Had some water on the slab splash up on it (slab slopes down towards the house!!!!). The water tripped the outlet, plus the one inside. A little while later, I tried to reset the exterior outlet and smelled burning plastic. The upstream GFCI tripped again, thankfully.

So, $40 later and a trip to Lowe's, I now have a new GFCI outlet INSIDE a color matched waterproofed box for the carport. Now to get FIL to caulk around it to make sure it is watertight. He's better at caulking than I am.

Long story short, you can put GFCI in series, and in my situation it is a very good thing that I am set up that way. In my shop, when I add the GFCI's, I'm going to put them first in series as close to the breaker panel as possible.

Also, since I get water in my shop so frequently, I trip all the breakers in the shop panel when I lock up for the day.
        "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• reddog552
          Established Member
          • Dec 2006
          • Belleville Il.
          • Bt3000

GFIs in series

Most of the inspectors Ive delt with will fail a job with 2 or more GFIs in a series.It creats more problems than it helps,also looks like you dont know what you are doing.
          The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of low cost is forgotten!

Comment

• ragswl4
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Winchester, Ca
            • C-Man 22114

GFCI is required by code for garages in California. Remember that one GFCI when properly wired will protect downstream outlets as well. Most GFCI outlets have a line and a load connection that can be used to protect other outlets.
            RAGS
            Raggy and Me in San Felipe
            sigpic

Comment

• tseavoy
              Established Member
              • May 2009
              • Nordland, Marrowstone Island, Washington
              • Older 9 inch Rockwell Delta (1960?)

Generally anyplace where you may be standing on a grounded surface, or have any part of your body touching a grounded surface even though the path is through water or dampness, you should have a GFI. I am an electrical engineer, not an electrician, and I don't have access to the latest NEC (as modified by local code), so take that into account. GFI's work by sensing the difference between the hot wire and neutral wire current, and if different, assumes that you are carrying the difference through your body and trips before you have enough current through you to do harm.
              I grew up in the days of knob and tube wiring. These niceties were not required or available then.
              If you want to make sure it's right, use a licensed electrician.

Tom on Marrowstone

Comment

• JSUPreston
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2005
                • Montgomery, AL.
                • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Originally posted by reddog552
                Most of the inspectors Ive delt with will fail a job with 2 or more GFIs in a series.It creats more problems than it helps,also looks like you dont know what you are doing.
                With the idiots I was dealing with, I'd believe it. However, given that both plug location are where I could be standing in water, I like the idea of the GFCI close by.
                "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• parnelli
                  • Aug 2004
                  • bt3100

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                  Make sure your GFCI outlets are rated for the amps you may use at those outlets.
                  Here's an interesting one- bought a handful of P&S GFCI's a few weeks ago. Mostly 15a but a few 20a. Get home and as I'm installing them I notice that the faces on the 15 are the same as the 20 (that extra slot thing) and that the UL sticker says 20, and that the model number molded into the plastic is the same on the 15 and 20.

If it weren't for the cardboard box they came in saying 15 they were exactly alike.

If I had had the time I woulda returned the 20's for 15's and saved like 3 or 4 bucks a piece.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by parnelli
                    Here's an interesting one- bought a handful of P&S GFCI's a few weeks ago. Mostly 15a but a few 20a. Get home and as I'm installing them I notice that the faces on the 15 are the same as the 20 (that extra slot thing) and that the UL sticker says 20, and that the model number molded into the plastic is the same on the 15 and 20.

If it weren't for the cardboard box they came in saying 15 they were exactly alike.

If I had had the time I woulda returned the 20's for 15's and saved like 3 or 4 bucks a piece.
                    dang, just like buying a BMW325 and finding its the same car as a BMW 535.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Tom Slick
                      Veteran Member
                      • May 2005
                      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                      • sears BT3 clone

Originally posted by parnelli

Did they all have the sideways "T" for one blade? That would make them 20amp no matter what the box states.
                      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Tom Slick
                        Did they all have the sideways "T" for one blade? That would make them 20amp no matter what the box states.
                        yeah, he said they had the extra slot (for the 20-A sideways blade)
                        and that the face was exactly the same as the ones in the 20-A labelled package which to me means the slot pattern is identical.

Probably marketing finds that tehey can charge a few bucks ($3?) for the 20A, and industrial customers placing large orders will order to specification.
                        Then manufacturing said, if we make all one style intsead of two styles, we can make them for mcuh cheaper (large volume pricing) so they just decided to lose a couple of profit bucks to those who figured it out and pack the same items in both packages.
                        Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-08-2009, 05:59 PM.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

Working...