• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • os1kne
    • Jan 2003
    • Atlanta, GA
    • BT3100

GFCI in the workshop

My "shop" is an attached garage. I'm planning to add 2 outlet circuits for tools using 12/3 and double gang outlet boxes (common neutral wire). My thought was that I would be able to use 2 high amp tools simultaneously (TS or MS and shop vac) without a problem and if I ever want/need a 240 outlet, it would be easy to do so.

Due to the fact that my driveway slopes toward the garage doors, a couple of times/year I get about a 1/2inch of water on the garage floor. (There is a "bump" at the garage door threshhold that minimizes this, the water runs straight to the floor drain - it's never been a big problem and we will probably be moving in the next 2-3 years, so we probably won't put in a grated trench.)

So, back on topic, I've been thinking about having the 1st outlet for each circuit be GFCI as a precaution - is this a good/bad idea in a shop environment?

Thank you.
    Bill
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

In your case, what with the standing water and all, it's probably a good idea. Make sure your GFCI outlets are rated for the amps you may use at those outlets. One other alternative is to use GFCI breakers at the breaker box, which might make things easier to install, and easier to test and reset, depending on what you end up stacking in front of those outlets...

Comment

• Ed62
      The Full Monte
      • Oct 2006
      • NW Indiana
      • BT3K

I can't think of a downside to it, but it could prove very beneficial.

Ed
      Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

I am not 100% certain, but I think GFCI is required by code for garages in most areas as it is considered an "outdoor" space...

Even without code, they are an excellent idea. I have GFCI on mine and it has already saved my bacon twice... (safety tip, check your extension cords!).
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LarryG
          The Full Monte
          • May 2004
          • Off The Back
          • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Dave is correct: it's not only a good idea, it's code. The NEC stipulates (roughly: don't have a copy immediately at hand) that all outlets in garages and buildings used as shops which have their entrances at grade have ground fault protection. There used to be exceptions for outlets that are not normally accessible (i.e., on the ceiling for a garage door opener, or behind a freezer, for the dedicated use of said freezer) but even those have been eliminated now.
          Larry

Comment

• os1kne
            • Jan 2003
            • Atlanta, GA
            • BT3100

Thank you.

Would it be possible to have a 240V outlet downstream of the GFCI outlets? I know how to do the wiring, but I don't know if a shared neutral downstream of the GFCI would cause problems.

Thanks again.
            Bill

Comment

• JBCrooks
              Forum Newbie
              • Feb 2006
              • Seneca, SC

You may want to run 2 12/2 wires instead of sharing the neutral on the 12/3. GFCIs can be very picky about the neutral load even upstream. I know it should work, but it doesn't.

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

FWIW, you might consider adding a GFCI breaker instead of the outlet. Would fulfill the code requirement, and I believe would work with 220v but somebody with more electrical experience than me should speak to that...

I only knew about the requirement for GFCI in garages as it applies in Galveston County. When I bought my house they were not required, I put the house on the market in 2004 with the idea of moving out west (that fell apart) and GFCI was at that time required to sell the house...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• JSUPreston
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Montgomery, AL.
                  • Delta 36-979 w/Biesemyere fence kit making it a 36-982. Previous saw was BT3100-1.

Originally posted by LarryG
                  Dave is correct: it's not only a good idea, it's code. The NEC stipulates (roughly: don't have a copy immediately at hand) that all outlets in garages and buildings used as shops which have their entrances at grade have ground fault protection. There used to be exceptions for outlets that are not normally accessible (i.e., on the ceiling for a garage door opener, or behind a freezer, for the dedicated use of said freezer) but even those have been eliminated now.
                  Looks like a trip to the BORG is in order...I need 2 GFCI's.

Then again, the way my schedule has been, water has been in the shop more than me this year.
                  "It's a dog eat dog world out there, and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear."- Norm (from Cheers)

Eat beef-because the west wasn't won on salad.

Comment

• master53yoda
                    Established Member
                    • Oct 2008
                    • Spokane Washington
                    • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

please bear in mind that it is against the current NEC code to feed two 120 volt circuits with a common neutral......

It works if you do not get both circuits on the same leg, but it is against code

What you might consider is putting in a small panel in the shop and feeding that panel with a 240 Volt GFCI. I would also feed it with nothing smaller then a 40 amp using an isolated neutral bar and a separate ground bar in the shop panel. This would give you the ability to handle most anything you will want in the shop down line.

Good luck
                    Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• os1kne
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Atlanta, GA
                      • BT3100

Originally posted by master53yoda
                      please bear in mind that it is against the current NEC code to feed two 120 volt circuits with a common neutral......

It works if you do not get both circuits on the same leg, but it is against code

What you might consider is putting in a small panel in the shop and feeding that panel with a 240 Volt GFCI. I would also feed it with nothing smaller then a 40 amp using an isolated neutral bar and a separate ground bar in the shop panel. This would give you the ability to handle most anything you will want in the shop down line.

Good luck
                      Thanks. I wasn't aware that was against code. (I've seen it done several times - I suspect that a lot of the 12/3 sales go for this purpose - but that doesn't make it right.) I'd been considering putting in a 60 amp subpanel, but had almost decided against it. We've been in our home for 5 years and will likely be moving in the next 3 years. I've "gotten by" for this long, adding 2-3 circuits will be more than enough to get me through the next few years. However, I do tend to "overkill" most home improvements when the additional cost isn't significant - the cost of a small subpanel and the 6ga. wire isn't too bad, so I'll probably just bite the bullet and do that. edit: also need to get the 240v GFCI breaker.
                      Bill

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2005
                        • Independence, MO, USA.
                        • bt3100

Let me ask something along these lines.

If one has a run, that is protected by a GFCI outlet, can one put another GFCI outlet in the run?

(example, outlet in the bathroom, GFCI protected, up to a couple of outlets in an attic, for worklights, then outside to another GFCI)

Thanks
                        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by LinuxRandal

If one has a run, that is protected by a GFCI outlet, can one put another GFCI outlet in the run?

(example, outlet in the bathroom, GFCI protected, up to a couple of outlets in an attic, for worklights, then outside to another GFCI)

Thanks
                          it seems to me that technically you can. In normal operation (no ground fault) there will be no adverse effect. However, its totally redundant (with no improvement in protection) and makes troubleshooting more complicated. I don't see any advantage except if you trip it often at the end, you don't have to walk as far to reset it. But it'll also be a crapshoot as to which one trips (or possibly both) because any ground fault imbalance at the end will be present in both, so that doesn't even work.
                          And, you shouldn't be tripping it that often or somethings wrong.
                          Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-06-2009, 07:41 AM.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA
                          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                            The Full Monte
                            • May 2007
                            • Sunshine State
                            • BT3000

Originally posted by LinuxRandal

Thanks
                            The one at the end will only be protecting that outlet, which is already protected by the one at the beginning. Hence no improvement.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2005
                              • Independence, MO, USA.
                              • bt3100

Originally posted by Uncle Cracker
                              Hence no improvement.

Less walk. Seems like an improvement to me (on my feet an average 14 hours a day). Thanks
                              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...