• Show
Clear All
  • Richard in Smithville
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • On the TARDIS
    • BT 3100

Shop Heat

Any of you ww's who don't have free heat in the winter months ever use a Kerosene Heater in you shop? My garage shop is well ventilated( even more when the wind blows).
    From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I don't, but my dad did for a lot of years... And no I am not a native Texan... This was up along Lake Erie...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I had one for a while, but the smell gave me a headache if I was out there for more than a few hours. I switched to a Propane torpedo heater, but the humidity and the smell I didn't like.

I finally put in this last fall and couldn't be happier.

I kept the garage above 60 all winter and even on the coldest days and nights, it probably ran 5-10 minutes an hour.
      Chr's

Comment

• Daryl
        • May 2004

I had one for a while but it put out too much humidity. Tool surfaces would rust quickly.
        Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• tseavoy
          Established Member
          • May 2009
          • Nordland, Marrowstone Island, Washington
          • Older 9 inch Rockwell Delta (1960?)

Some years ago, I had a Kero-sun kerosene heater. I didn't like the smell and after a couple years gave it away. I now use a portable electric heater and a pot belly stove burning wood scrap and presto logs. My shop isn't insulated, so it is hard to keep up with the presto logs (used to be 9 cents in the 60's, now are around 80 cents). One advantage is that the average winter temperature in this area is in the 40s. I'm keeping my eye out for a higher efficiency wood stove. One cord (about $150 around here) should last me the winter.

Tom on Marrowstone

Comment

• Whaler
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Sequim, WA, USA.
            • DW746

I tried a kerosene heater but it put out way to much moisture so I now use a portable propane unit. We don't get much real cold weather so there aren't many days that I can't get the shop warm enough to work in.
            Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• Jcrawf
              Forum Newbie
              • Aug 2009

I use a couple of small ceramic heaters in my 20X20 garage. I think I paid about $20 each for them from Amazon. They don't keep the shop T shirt warm on the coldest days but warm enough to not be uncomfortable.
              Jack

Comment

• kevincan
                Established Member
                • Oct 2006
                • Central Illinois
                • Craftsman 21829

I have the same heater as twistsol and it does a good job in my garage/shop. My shop is sealed up/insulated fairly well. I do not know how well it would work if it was in a very drafty area.

Have you looked at a wood stove? That may be another option.

Comment

• L. D. Jeffries
                  • Dec 2005
                  • Russell, NY, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

I have 2x6 well insulated wall & ceiling in my 24 x 28 shop. A wall mounted outside vent propane heater and a wood stove with a fan. Propane is kept on 50 in winter to keep things from freezing and then when I go out in the morning I fire up the wood stove. A couple of cords will last the winter; the wood is free so I keep the shop toasty during the day and usually there are enough coals in the morning to get it going again. Well I said the wood was free; not counting cutting it, hauling, splitting and stacking; it is!
                  RuffSawn
                  Nothin' smells better than fresh sawdust!

Comment

• cwsmith
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

Many years ago, I temporarily was laid off from my job and so I set up half of my unfinished, uninsulated attached garage as a "studio" in which I had my drawing board and camera stand (I said this was "many" years ago... BC [before computers]).

I used one of those "chimney-type" kerosene heaters, with the base tank and a open flame, wick-burner. The wick was at the base with a 24-inch or so "chimney" of sorts, that would get hot and act as a heat radiator. I didn't mind the smell as the old garage was anything but well sealed. Only problem was it took a bit to get the little room up to temperature. I used to get up at 6:00 AM and by 9:00 AM it would be warm enough, with a jacket of course.

I don't recall moisture being a problem, or at least it didn't evidence itself with my drawing vellum or photography equipment. But, I did notice that it left a film on everything and every couple of weeks I'd have to clean my parallel, triangles, and templates, as well as the cameral column, lightes, etc. Fortunately, I only had to do that for a couple of years. I've since completely finished that space, turning the garage into a family room with it's own natural gas heater. Much nicer and far more efficient and healthy!

Bottom line is, I'd only use a kerosene heater as a temporary measure. Kerosene presently has got to be an expensive fuel compared to either natural gas or electricity. Fuel grade kerosene wouldn't be healthy at all.

I hope this helps,

CWS
                    Last edited by cwsmith; 10-04-2009, 04:43 PM.
                    Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• jackellis
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2003
                      • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                      • BT3100

In the house we just moved from, I used part of the garage and just didn't get any shop time when it was cold. In this house, the floor is heated, same as the rest of the house. It's about to be tested today as snow falls outside (in California, in the mountains, in October??? )

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
                        Veteran Member
                        • Oct 2006
                        • On the TARDIS
                        • BT 3100

Thanks for all the suggestions. I am very limited as to what I can use for heat as I live in a town home. The outside of the building is not mine to mess with so I cannot cut holes in the wall to vent anything outside. I have a small electric shop heater already but that put the hydro bill way up last winter and that was on the lower settings.
                        From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2007
                          • Tacoma, WA
                          • BT3000

Have to remember that a kerosene heater is dumping the CO right into where you are and you are breathing it in, and the smell, it will get into the whole house and your clothing. Then there is the issue of open flame....

OK so I don't like them, but I will acknowledge that they do heat on the cheap and If you use low odor fuel that will help some.

Some time ago I saw a propane heater that was window mounted, vented out side and rather resembled a window AC unit. I have also seen heat pumps that were window mounted and ran off of a 20A 110V outlet.

Ya know if it's cold enough in the shop you can glue boards together with just water......

Bill

Comment

• cgallery
                            Veteran Member
                            • Sep 2004
                            • Milwaukee, WI
                            • BT3K

Growing up I had a friend w/ a dad into cars. Always working on cars. They had a home w/ attached garage.

He insulated the walls with fiberglass. Then, he cut 6" wide strips of hardboard which were nailed to the bottom of the ceiling joists, forming an upside-down "T". In that channel he placed more fiberglass. The fiberglass he used in the ceiling was really thick stuff, like at least 10" or 12".

He then added a fan above the door between the hallway and the garage to blow air from the house into the garage. He'd leave the door open to provide an air return.

You'd be amazed how well it worked. It kept warm during the coldest days, and cool on the warmest days. And it didn't stink up the house or anything. Never got an oil smell in the house or anything like that. Then again, the guy's garage was spotless and I wouldn't doubt that he had potpourri out there or something.

Comment

• dbhost
                              Slow and steady
                              • Apr 2008
                              • League City, Texas
                              • Ryobi BT3100

Mr. Heater Big Buddy Propane heater would do the trick for you then. Low oxygen and tipover shut off safety switches. I have the Portable Buddy and it works great for keeping my deer shack warm in winter, I just don't sleep with it on.
                              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...