X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pierhogunn2
    Established Member
    • Sep 2009

Peg Board Theory

Last night as I was shoe-horning little bits of stuff onto my 4X8 slab of pegboard it occured to me that I was doing this without Rhyme or Reason, and I said outloud " I wonder if the guys at the board have any pet theories as to the best way to lay one of these things out"

so how about it, what's your theory, and what's your practice for proper pegboard management

it doesn't matter what I have, how do you orgainze your pegboard, and what influences your decisions.
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

I do long stuff on top. That way I don't need a ladder to get it. If it isn't long but I don't use it much it goes up on top. Similar items get grouped together and/or hung on the same peg. All my saws are in the same area on the pegboard. Hammers too. All my adjustable wrenches are hung on the same peg. Unless your shop space is really constrained, take advantage of the space around the pegboard. I had some dead space below and to one side of mine that wasn't used for anything else - well pressure tank was there - so I let longer items like my level hang into that space. I also put pegs right at the edge and let my concrete and drywal finishing tools stick out over the edge.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• Stytooner
      Roll Tide RIP Lee
      • Dec 2002
      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
      • BT3100

If there is a hole, put something there. If there isn't a hole, make one.......

Maybe Rod would be a better guy to ask.
      Lee

Comment

• headhunter636
        Established Member
        • Jul 2004
        • Federal Way, WA
        • Ryobi BT 3000

My peg board tends to be just a huge board full of empty hooks while my bench seems to be where most of my tools end up being stored.

Reminds me of an old Tim Allen joke, "The dead tool silhouette".
        Dave

BT3000

"98% of all statistics are made up"

Comment

• pierhogunn2
          Established Member
          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by headhunter636
          My peg board tends to be just a huge board full of empty hooks while my bench seems to be where most of my tools end up being stored.

Reminds me of an old Tim Allen joke, "The dead tool silhouette".

um, yea, see that's what I just spent 2 days cleaning up, and I resolve not to have it become so again by having a well thought out, workable layout for the space above my bench...

but you are right

Comment

• Mr__Bill
            Veteran Member
            • May 2007
            • Tacoma, WA
            • BT3000

Once you get it laid out, draw around each tool and fill in with the color of the tool. That way it won't look so empty when the tools go missing.....

Bill

Comment

• LarryG
              The Full Monte
              • May 2004
              • Off The Back
              • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I like my pegboard cut up into 6" squares, seasoned liberally with gasoline, and then reduced to ash over a roaring fire. I absolutely detest the stuff.

Be that as it may, the organization of my hand tool rack evolved gradually over time. There was no grand plan; it just happened. Early on I did make an effort to keep similar tools grouped more or less together -- chisels here, hammers and mallets there -- but many items are just shoehorned in wherever they would go, either as I acquired them or as I decided they were used often enough to merit a place on the rack rather than being stashed in a drawer.

The result is a semi-organized, semi-logical layout. There are many items that are where they are not because it makes good organizational sense, but because there was an empty space of just the right size. But I can grab any item without thinking because I know where everything is, and the overall usage of space is pretty efficient. I was willing to sacrifice organization for better use of the available space, and to keep the overall cluster small so I wouldn't have to take more than one step to retrieve any needed item.

A similar approach might work for you, depending on how fussy you are about grouping like things together. One advantage of pegboard is that if your early guesses about the layout aren't exactly correct, you can always shift things around a little or a lot.
              Larry

Comment

• pierhogunn2
                Established Member
                • Sep 2009

unfortunately, when I start a project I spell anal-retentive with the hyphen just for emphasis... so I am quite fussy, else I wouldn't probably be bothered so much about the incredibly organic nature of my wall of shame

Comment

• luteman
                  Established Member
                  • Dec 2007
                  • Northern Michigan
                  • BT3100-1

Confession time for me: I personally loathe the looks of pegboard! It has always reminded me of those photos shown in Wood Magazine. You know, the "perfectly organized workshop as planned by women!" Every tool in its' place with no visible sawdust or clutter. UGH! Ok, so I confess... I have pegboard in my shop. It is painted flat white and all hooks are held in place by those ingenious plactic clips that are available at the BORG. Early on, I got fed up with the hooks coming along with the tool every time I removed it from the board. Even with the minimal use of pegboard, my shop contains a proud supply of dust and chips and clutter.

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

To organize peg board. Longer items on top, hanging downward, so for example I hang my 24" level from the top down, and then the torpedo levels under that... That way I don't need a stinking ladder to get to it...

Group similar items close together. I have 3" hooks set up so that my hand planes are grouped together, my chisels hang right under that, the hammers to the right of that etc...

If, like me, you have gifted items on the peg board that you don't / won't / can't use, wait until the gift giver is out of sight and isn't likely to return soon before removing them... They seem to take offense...

There are a couple of kinds of pegs. The nice thick ones that stay put, the plastic ones with the little fish hook barbs that stay put, and then the cheap (insert expletive here) ones that Home Depot and Lowes sells... I have plenty of each. After using the hooks from the big box stores, I completely understand WHY some people hate peg board. It's not the board, it's those danged hooks that keep following you out of their holes!
                    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• twistsol
                      Veteran Member
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Pegboard and I have a love hate relationship. I hate the way it looks but can't deny it's utility. I treat it like a puzzle. I hang tools of similar functionality together starting with the largest, and then fit the smaller ones into the gaps. Since everything is visible, I don't need to remember where I put it.
                      Chr's

Comment

Working...