• Show
Clear All
  • abbi'sdad
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2007
    • Texas
    • BT3000

Air Flow in Shop/Garage

Just wondering what everyone uses for good air flow in shop or garage. Right now my shop is in the garage and i've only got a cheap box fan for air circulation, but interested in getting something that will move lil more air. We've been in above 90's for over 30 something days straight and last night was the first lil bit of rain we've had in i dont know how long. But i was just curious to see what everyone uses to try to stay cool/comfortable in the shop.
  • LarryG
    The Full Monte
    • May 2004
    • Off The Back
    • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

I have one of those $100 orange barrel fans from Home Depot ... the 24" model, I think, or possibly a few inches bigger. It has two speed settings: Cessna On Takeoff, and Can't Hear Yourself Think. The thing will definitely move some air, but if I had it to do over I would get a less-powerful (read: quieter) pedestal model that has its airflow up around chest level rather than down on the floor.

The new shop I'm designing will have nine foot ceilings and three or four ceiling fans. If you have adequate headroom, IME ceiling fans seem to provide more relief than any other kind of air-mover. They're not on the floor where they'll be in your way, and the plain-Jane models are really cheap.
    Larry

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

My electric bill is going to hurt me, but I have taken to leaving the entry door open and setting a box fan in the doorway and blowing air conditioned air from the house...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Garasaki
        • Sep 2006

I finished my basement recently and gave serious consideration to running a duct from the house central air/heat system out to the garage, putting a damper on it so I could turn it off or on. Ended up deciding against it (it just didn't seem right for some reason).

I've been thinking of ceiling fans, but I also use a lot of my ceiling space for storage so I haven't done that yet.

I use a 5 dollar box fan when it gets hot in there - works pretty good but it is a hassle to set up and what not. My air filtration system moves some air too, but its noisy so I only run it when actually cutting wood (which seems to be happening less and less! ).
        -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
        -Henry Blake

Comment

• poolhound
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2006
          • Phoenix, AZ
          • BT3100

My shop is my garage and I simply work with the door up 99% of the time. I do have a portable swamp cooler which helps some but not once it gets up to 110 with 50% humidity - then I just sweat to keep cool
          Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
          techzibits.com

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by LarryG
            I...
            ... If you have adequate headroom, IME ceiling fans seem to provide more relief than any other kind of air-mover. They're not on the floor where they'll be in your way, and the plain-Jane models are really cheap.
            8-foot ceiling headroom is not enough - I have to be very careful not to to bash my ceiling fan when I'm waving boards around the shop... but then i have to be careful of the fluorescent fixtures, too.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2007
              • Buena Park, CA
              • CM 21829

I have pretty good airflow with garage doors open, but have been considering putting in a whole-house fan in the ceiling, with direct venting to an attic vent. These generally have 2 or 3 speed settings, but I've hesitated due to adding yet more noise, and having to install an appropriately sized attic vent to the roof.
              Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• kevincan
                Established Member
                • Oct 2006
                • Central Illinois
                • Craftsman 21829

I have a box fan that I put in a window and usually have the big doors open for air circulation. I also have a high velocity fan that I will also run when it gets hotter.

If it gets to hot/humid I will wait to work out in the shop until night time or it cools off.

Comment

• tommyt654
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2008

I think you,ll find the ceiling fans will throw more dust around than wanted.

Comment

• gjat
                    • Nov 2005
                    • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
                    • BT3100

I gave up trying to move air with box fans, industrial fans, ceiling fans, attic exhaust fans, and use window air conditioners. I have no windows and used various methods for temporary walls until I built a wall to divide single car section for the shop with ac. Insulate and sheild from the sun first.

Comment

• master53yoda
                      Established Member
                      • Oct 2008
                      • Spokane Washington
                      • bt 3000 2 of them and a shopsmith ( but not for the tablesaw part)

My air filter is made form an old furnace fan with a 20x20x4 filter hanging from the ceiling, I also have a small window AC through the wall. My shop is 12x43 and insulated all around with foam on the garage doors. I heat it with an infrared heater about 15,000 btu unless it is below 20 outside. then i have to set hte heater up on High 30000 btu.
                      Art

If you don't want to know, Don't ask

If I could come back as anyone one in history, It would be the man I could have been and wasn't....

Comment

• Scoly2803
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Dec 2008

Recently purchased a 24000 btu ac unit. Currently have it on rollers and put it under the door with curtains on each side. Will eventually instal in an outside wall.
                        If it's turned on befor it gets to hot outside I can keep it on low for most of the day and stay not just comfortable but cool. Wife comments it is cooler in the garage than in the house. Sure the electric bill went up a bit but it allows me to play anytime I choose. Only have a few hours during the work week but when the weekend comes I get all day without sweat dripping in my eyes.
                        When it cools off a bit I will address attic insulation and putting it in a wall. For now it's one of the best investments I've made.
                        Steve

Comment

• gjat
                          • Nov 2005
                          • Valrico (Tampa), Florida.
                          • BT3100

Originally posted by master53yoda
                          I heat it with an infrared heater about 15,000 btu unless it is below 20 outside. then i have to set hte heater up on High 30000 btu.
                          I don't even THINK about having a heater in the garage. At it's worst, I woul only have to wear a flannel shirt over a T-shirt and maybe have to button it.
                          Well, maybe that's an exageration. When it's real, real, real cold, I turn the lava lamp on and that radiates enough heat...

Comment

• ironhat
                            Veteran Member
                            • Aug 2004
                            • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                            • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

I use a 5K btu AC unit that I picked up at the end of the summer two years ago, on sale for $59. I only use it when I know that I'm going to be in there a good stretch of time (eg. 4hrs).
                            Blessings,
                            Chiz

Comment

• gsmittle
                              Veteran Member
                              • Aug 2004
                              • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                              • BT 3100

Originally posted by gjat
                              When it's real, real, real cold, I turn the lava lamp on and that radiates enough heat...
                              Well, yeah, all that lava should heat things right up…

g.
                              Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                              Bill & Ted

Comment

Working...