• Show
Clear All
  • Woodboy
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2004
    • Lakewood, Colorado.
    • BT3100

To peg board, or not to peg board

Finished my new shop area (25' x 16') and up against the wall I have a modified version of Norms' miter saw and built-in storage cabinet, which is about 15 feet long and provides a nice work bench area. I am thinking about adding about a 8 foot by 30 inch wall mounted peg board over one half of the bench.

I plan on using Talon hooks that don't pull loose, since that problem has bugged me before.

How many people prefer hanging tools in easy reach out there, vs. putting everything into drawers, or dedicated tool boxes. I tend to ply crap on top of my bench until its' unusable. Much of my day to day work also gets done on a mobile assembly table (Norms).

Thoughts?
    "Life is tough, where a cup"
    Dennis Miller
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

I like pegboard but only for readily used tools that are easily hung on a peg. Drawers keep stuff covered and somewhat cleaner.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• BerniePA
      Established Member
      • Nov 2007
      • San Tan Valley, AZ
      • Grizzly 0575

I also have a 4 x 4 section of pegboard that is used for my most commonly used tools. Can't imagine not having it there. I can send the wife or kid to the shop if I'm tied up and tell them exactly where to reach for what I need.
      Bernie

Owww -- That spinnin' thang hurt!!

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

clamps are the ideal thing to hang on pegboard... usually when you need them you have one hand already holding things together, can't move very far, and only one hand to reach out and grab that clamp...
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Ed62
          The Full Monte
          • Oct 2006
          • NW Indiana
          • BT3K

I found that using pegboard gives me a lot more storage. Here's a link to another thread on the subject http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...light=pegboard

Ed
          Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• jackellis
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
            • BT3100

Another option is slatwall. I picked up some from a store that's being remodeled, and some of the special hooks for 25 cents apiece from a store liquidation sale.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
              The Full Monte
              • May 2007
              • Sunshine State
              • BT3000

I have pegboard above both my benches. It seems there is always a need for a hammer, wrench, screwdriver or some such that is not easily in reach otherwise. The bulk of my hand tools are still in drawers, but a "skeleton crew" on the pegs is handy. I use many types of hooks, some of which I fashioned for specific tools, and pulling the hooks off with the tools is not a problem I have.

Comment

• Tom Clark
                Forum Newbie
                • Jul 2007
                • Deming, NM
                • Powermatic 66 w/48" sliding table

[/quote] How many people prefer hanging tools in easy reach out there, vs. putting everything into drawers, or dedicated tool boxes. I tend to ply crap on top of my bench until its' unusable. Much of my day to day work also gets done on a mobile assembly table (Norms).

Thoughts?[/QUOTE]

My bench also tended to have so much stuff on it that there was no room to work. The problem was solved by adding two shelves over the bench to keep the stuff that can never be put away - out of the way. Just one more solution. To me peg boards are too inefficient…

My tools that are in constant use are in the lap drawers under the bench and in my dust collector that sits beside the bench.
                Attached Files

Comment

• crokett
                  The Full Monte
                  • Jan 2003
                  • Mebane, NC, USA.
                  • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by Tom Clark
                  My tools that are in constant use are in the lap drawers under the bench and in my dust collector that sits beside the bench.
                  You keep tools in your dust collector? To each his own I guess.
                  David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.

Comment

• cabinetman
                    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                    • Jun 2006
                    • So. Florida
                    • Delta

Originally posted by jackellis
                    Another option is slatwall. I picked up some from a store that's being remodeled, and some of the special hooks for 25 cents apiece from a store liquidation sale.

I like slatwall too. I get it from a used store fixture company. My complaints about peg board are that the hooks that fall out or get knocked out. Even the expensive ones do that.

Comment

• wardprobst
                      • Jan 2006
                      • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
                      • Craftsman 22811

I used peg board on a lot of walls in my previous shop. It's fine for stuff you don't access frequently. Over the bench I use a sheet of plywood and hang stuff with nails, dowels or hooks now. I can get more tools in less space more securely now.
                      YMMV,
                      DP
                      www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• twistsol
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
                        • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I despise pegboard and all it stands for. I can't however deny its utility for storage and consequently have 8 full sheets in my garage.
                        Chr's

Comment

• Len
                          Forum Newbie
                          • Sep 2007
                          • Cary, NC
                          • BT3000

A dab of low temp hot melt glue will keep hooks and other peg board fixtures in place. Wait until the peg board has been in use for a while, so tool locations have become relatively fixed, before doing this. Low temp hot melt glue will still let you move the hooks if you have to, but it's not something you want to do a lot of.

The same thing works with slat wall hooks and fixtures to keep them from sliding around or popping out of the slots. Slat wall is also very handy if you want some flexibility in how your shelves are spaced. Just make sure you use enough brackets for the weight your shelves will support.

Len

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                            Veteran Member
                            • May 2007
                            • Tacoma, WA
                            • BT3000

The problem with your tools hanging on peg board is: Ya can't say you don't have one of those when someone comes a borrowing.

Most of the theatre shops I have worked in made great use of peg board. Outlining the tool so everyone knew where to put it back at. At the end of the day you also knew what was lost somewhere in the shop.

The reality of it is; anything that works to keep you organized and is easy for you to use is the best thing for you. Most of us find that tool and hardware storage is a combination of things, some that don't work well but we are too lazy to change and some that work well but only for certain things. I like peg board for hanging up those tools I am using right now and those I often use like hammers and mallots. At the end of a project the right now tools get put away. One of the big reasons for drawers and cupboards is they tend, for me at least, to keep things from rusting so fast.

Peg board also works well for drawer bottoms. The dirt falls right through.

Bill, on the Sunny Oregon Coast

Comment

• mschrank
                              Veteran Member
                              • Oct 2004
                              • Hood River, OR, USA.
                              • BT3000

Another simple, cheap, effective way to keep your hooks on the board:
                              Click image for larger version

Name:	pegLocks.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	784175
                              The tough part is finding them. I've seen them at some Home Depots and Ace Hardware stores.
                              They hold the hook securely, and pop out easy if you want to change the location.
                              Mike

Drywall screws are not wood screws

Comment

Working...