• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Brian G
    • Jun 2003
    • Bloomington, Minnesota.
    • G0899

Shop-made Edge Routing Dust Capture Attachment

In Rich P's thread (here), I posted a few pics of something I made. I also promised more details, which I've finally gotten around to providing. Sorry for the delay.

My 6” benchtop jointer is ill-suited for edge jointing heavy or long stock, so I often use a pattern bit and straight edge to accomplish the task. Unfortunately, cleanup of the dust and chips makes doing so a chore. I had received as a gift the Rockler edge routing dust collection attachment (mentioned in Rich P's thread), but I had little success with using it. The ABS neck of the Porter Cable-style bushing connection was fragile, the nut loosend, it fell apart during use, and broke. They gave me a refund. Conceptually, the product has merit, but its fragility leaves much to be desired.

I devised a simple, cheap, easy to fabricate, and much stouter and safer (in my opinion) router attachment that makes cleanup a non-issue.

Click image for larger version

Name:	REDC12.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	793498

To make your own, you will need:
    (1) router subbase fabricated to fit your router. I used a circle of ¼” MDF.
    (2) 4” sewer and drain end caps.
    (1) short length of 4” O.D. sewer and drain pipe. I used approximately 6” of ASTM 3034 (Schedule 35).
    (1) 2½ ” O.D. flanged inlet. I found this at Woodcraft (Item 128684)

Start by marking the centers of the router subbase and the two end caps. I sanded off the raised lettering of the end caps. Extend the center line of one of the end caps over the edges. This helps keep the end cap centered on the router subbase.

Name:	REDC1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	793490

I used double-stick tape to hold the end cap to the subbase, and then used a 1½” forstner bit to drill a centered hole. I chose this size of bit so that the hole was larger than the diameter of my 1⅛” pattern bit.

Name:	REDC2.jpg
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	793491

I fastened the end cap to the subbase by using countersunk flathead screws and nylon-insert lock nuts. The placement of the flathead screws should be in the front half of the end cap. The back half of the end cap will be removed.

Name:	REDC3.jpg
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	793492 Click image for larger version

Name:	REDC4.jpg
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	793493

Next, remove the end cap from the subbase, and attach the end cap to the length of 4" sewer and drain. I fastened the endcap to the pipe by using screws and nylon lock nuts. I didn't have PVC cement on hand, but I probably still would use mechanical fasteners just to feel safer.

Name:	REDC5.jpg
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	793494

Extend the centering lines on the sides of the end cap down the sides of the pipe approximately 3½". I chose that length to accomodate the longest pattern bit I own (2½” long), with an extra margin. Then use a hacksaw, bandsaw, or PVC handsaw to remove the back half.

Name:	REDC6.jpg
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	793495

Center the 2½” flanged inlet on the other end cap, and fasten the flanged inlet by using machine screws and nylon lock nuts. I marked the center of the endcap by drilling a small hole through the end cap.

Name:	REDC9.jpg
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	793496

I used a flycutter (or whatever term you know it as) to drill a 2½” center hole in the end cap. I screwed the endcap to a piece of scrap plywood, centered the flycutter bit to the hole I marked previously, and drilled the hole. The 2¼” O.D. end of a Shop Vac hose fits snugly and securely into the 2½” flanged inlet.

Name:	REDC10.jpg
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	793489 Click image for larger version

Name:	REDC11.jpg
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	793497

I designed the attachment so that most of the bit was surrounded by the pipe, and so that the Shop Vac hose would hang straight down, out of the way of my feet.

Name:	REDC14.jpg
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	793499 Click image for larger version

Name:	REDC15.jpg
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	793500

How well does it work? This photo shows my shop floor before I flush trimmed 5' of 8/4 poplar.

Name:	REDC16.jpg
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	793488

These photos show my shop floor, and the amount of dust and chips I could sweep up with a bench brush that the apparatus failed to capture. I protest a little at the result, because I noticed a few specks of oak that shouldn't count in the total.

Name:	REDC17.jpg
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	793501 Click image for larger version

Name:	REDC18.jpg
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	793502

A pattern bit and effective dust collection can help you edge joint tight joints in thick, heavy stock.

Name:	REDC19.jpg
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	793503

Thanks for looking and for your patience waiting for details.
    Last edited by Brian G; 03-15-2009, 05:35 PM.
    Brian
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

Very nice idea, Brian. Thanks for a great post.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• MilDoc

Excellent!

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Hey Brian,

Great post. Thanks for the idea. I'm going to have to make one of these soon.

Paul

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I take back what I said in the other thread as the one you made there "will work".. Very clever design if you designed it or whoever did for that matter. Ya done good....

Comment

• jhart
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2004
            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
            • BT3100

Very nice Brian. Looks like it works very well. Will have to steal the idea and make one. Good writeup and pictures.
            Joe
            "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Interesting concept... I do wonder if this idea can be modified with dovetailing jigs in mind.... I shoot chips and sawdust everywhere when I cut dovetails...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                The Full Monte
                • May 2007
                • Sunshine State
                • BT3000

That is a very nice solution! (A PVC pipe with a hole that big in it would not have held water, anyway... )

Comment

• Tom Miller
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2003
                  • Twin Cities, MN
                  • BT3000 - Cuttin' it old school

Good work, Brian!

I got something sorta similar with my PC router, but it's got a 1.5" dust port, so it's nearly useless. I usually end up jury rigging a 4" hose, which falls off halfway through the job. But that's OK, 'cuz I probably forgot to open up that blast gate anyway....

Stupid edge routing.

Regards,
                  Tom

Comment

Working...