• Show
Clear All
  • Rich P
    Established Member
    • Apr 2003
    • Foresthill, CA, USA.
    • Powermatic 66 (1966 vintage)

Edge routing dust collection suggestions

I recently routed some rabbits in the edges of the tops of two coffee tables and of course what a mess. I had the DC 4" hooked up to a "Big Gulp" and positioned as well as I could and the air cleaner on high but still had lots of stuff flying around.

In the recent Rockler flyer there was a "Edge Routing Dust Port" (P/N 24991) which looks like it might be effective but it only seems to work with a top bearing style bit. For the tables I had to use an edge guide (the PC 42690).

Does anyone have experience with the Rockler item or have any other good suggestions to handle edge routing dust collection situations.

FYI, I couldn't to this on the router table...tops were too big.
    Don't ever ask a barber if you need a haircut.
  • jhart
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2004
    • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
    • BT3100

I tried the Rockler unit a year or so ago, made it really hard to route with the stuff hanging on the router. Took it back.
    Joe
    "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• poolhound
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Phoenix, AZ
      • BT3100

I have that one. As Joe says its a bit of a PITA to route while trailing dust hose but thats the same with any form of DC when using a router freehand.

This does work with bottom bearings and I do use it occasionally with roundover or chamfer bits etc. The main issue is that the gap only works with bits up to 1 3/8" long.

MY DW plunge base does have DC built in and it works OK but you still have to manage the DC hose but as it comes from the top I hang it from a bungee attached to the ceiling.

I must admit that often I cant be bothered and just go for it and clean up the mess afterwards
      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
      techzibits.com

Comment

• smorris
        • Apr 2003
        • Tampa, Florida, USA.

I've tried the Big Gulp and it isn't. Tried hooking up a shop vac to my router dust collection port and it mostly doesn't plus it interferes with my seeing what I'm doing and the hose is always in the way. So, in the end I just get a broom and sweep it into a pile for the dust collector to deal with.
        --
        Any sufficiently advanced incompetence is indistinguishable from malice

Comment

• Mr__Bill
          Veteran Member
          • May 2007
          • Tacoma, WA
          • BT3000

For me it's one of those times when another person and a shop vac is the only solution.

Bill

Comment

• jonmulzer
            • Dec 2007
            • Indianapolis, IN

I do what most others do in situations like that. I put on my safety glasses, let it rip and then sweep up the rest to suck up with the dust collector hose.
            "A fine beer may be judged with just one sip, but it is better to be thoroughly sure"

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

The issue of Wood Magazine that is on the shelves now has an interesting solution. Kind of a repacement baseplate for your router, with a suction chamber I am thinking maybe something sort of similar to screw onto an edge guide might be interesting...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• tribalwind
                • Feb 2004
                • long island, ny.

for $12 it seems worth trying,

i have this edge guide for my bosch combo that has a dust port on it, .
                i havent even used it yet. unless i was doing a Whole bunch of edges,like a bookcase,i dont know that i'd bother with it .i think some sweeping after might still be necessary anyway with my guide,since it sucks from the side..rocklers being formt eh bottom might catch more debris.

Originally posted by dbhost
                The issue of Wood Magazine that is on the shelves now has an interesting solution. Kind of a repacement baseplate for your router, with a suction chamber I am thinking maybe something sort of similar to screw onto an edge guide might be interesting...
                thats basically what my storebaught guide has..
                this is probably the tip you are referring to (attached pic)...cool idea,yep,i'd rather use my edge guide or the rockler thing than have to mess with unscrewing baseplates and all that ,seems it'd be more of a hassle,although his solution directed toward use with dovetail jig,so makes sense,rockler or edge guide wouldnt work there.
                Attached Files
                namaste, matthew http://www.tribalwind.com

Comment

• poolhound
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2006
                  • Phoenix, AZ
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by tribalwind
                  for $12 it seems worth trying,

i have this edge guide for my bosch combo that has a dust port on it, .
                  i havent even used it yet. unless i was doing a Whole bunch of edges,like a bookcase,i dont know that i'd bother with it .i think some sweeping after might still be necessary anyway with my guide,since it sucks from the side..rocklers being formt eh bottom might catch more debris.
                  I had one of those and it worked OK but IIRC it had the same issues of limited depth and of course the trailing DC hose.
                  Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                  techzibits.com

Comment

• Rich P
                    Established Member
                    • Apr 2003
                    • Foresthill, CA, USA.

Seems like the Wood Mag gizmo could be modified to mount the same way the edge guide does. (On my PC this is two posts that slide into the base, probably same in most bases.) This would not require switching the base plate.

You could then come up with a cut out in a piece of PVC to approximate the Rocker unit, hook that up to a very flexible shop vac sized hose and probably get the bulk of the waste. It would also probably be necessary to have this VERY flexible hose, otherwise Joe's comment about stuff hanging off the router would certainly be a problem.

If I get this glue-up I'm working on done this afternoon, maybe I'll have time to fiddle with it a bit.

Comment

• Brian G
                      • Jun 2003
                      • Bloomington, Minnesota.
                      • G0899

Here's an idea.

Click image for larger version

Name:	REDC12.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	783974

Name:	REDC14.jpg
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	783975

Name:	REDC15.jpg
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	783976

I'm short on time, so this is short on details. I'll put a thread together later this week with more details, if there is interest.

It works well.
                      Brian

Comment

• Rich P
                        Established Member
                        • Apr 2003
                        • Foresthill, CA, USA.

Brian,

I'd like to hear more when you have time. Looks pretty neat.

Rich

Comment

• Brian G
                          • Jun 2003
                          • G0899

Will do; look for a thread this weekend.
                          Brian

Comment

• Brian G
                            • Jun 2003
                            • G0899

You probably didn't find one. Sorry.

I'll get it done this week.
                            Brian

Comment

• Rich P
                              Established Member
                              • Apr 2003
                              • Foresthill, CA, USA.

Brian,

Since I wanted to use a different approach to attaching the DC fixture to the router I went ahead with my first shot. Since I didn't have any 4" pvc handy, I used a standard 4" coupling and cut it out as you did with your pipe. I then used plastic epoxy to attach the coupling to a small scrap piece of polycarb and then added a small piece of aluminum angle with two cutoff hex head cap screws which slide into the fence mounting holes on the PC base. This eliminates the need for a base change.

Because I also wanted a fixture that would work with the edge fence, I found that a 4x3 S&D reducer would friction fit nicely into the 4" pvc coupling, so I used a circle cutter to cut a hole in a 3" ABS cap to accept the Woodstock 3 x 2-1/2 adapter, epoxyed the adapter into that hole and then the cap/adapter assembly onto the reducer.

I still need to cobble together the same thing for use with the edge guide fence and I'll post that when I get it done. Problem with the PC edge guide is there is a 1/4" or so gap between the bottom of the router base and where the DC fitting would be attached. I imaging there would be a fair bit of debris getting thru this gap. I have an idea on how to close this up but still need to make it so.

Thanks for the inspiration on the pvc approach. I hope mine works as well as yours.

Rich
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...