• Show
Clear All
  • jackellis
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

DC Gloat?

A friend of ours and his partner are closing a woodworking school nearby. Yesterday he advertised a 3 HP, 1900 CFM DC for $75, including 1 micron bags and all the piping I can carry away. The unit is 12 years old but I figure it's a good deal anyway since I can always have the motor rebuilt if necessary. He also has self-cleaning 4" blast gates for $10 apiece.

Of course, my new shop is still under construction and the back patio of our existing home is already crowded with lumber and other stuff but for $75 bucks, two hours of my time and a couple gallons of gas, why not?
  • Uncle Cracker
    The Full Monte
    • May 2007
    • Sunshine State
    • BT3000

Heckuva get, for sure...

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

U B the man with the biggest sucker, that's fer sure.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• shoottx
        Veteran Member
        • May 2008
        • Plano, Texas
        • BT3000

Yup

You suck, 3 hp, 1900 cfm worth, through a lot of duct work!
        Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• cgallery
          Veteran Member
          • Sep 2004
          • Milwaukee, WI
          • BT3K

I've seen a few are here on Craigslist starting at $400 and up with burlap bags and no piping.

So yeah, I'd say that is a pretty decent price.

If it was run quite a bit maybe I'd have the motor's bearings swapped. Just a thought.

Comment

• poolhound
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2006
            • Phoenix, AZ
            • BT3100

Nice one Jack. at 3hp that "Sucker" may be 220 have you already planned to have 220 in your new shop?
            Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
            techzibits.com

Comment

• jackellis
              Veteran Member
              • Nov 2003
              • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
              • BT3100

Nice one Jack. at 3hp that "Sucker" may be 220 have you already planned to have 220 in your new shop?
              Yessir! Two outlets, one for the TS and one for the DC. The original plan was to put in a Delta 50-760 wired for 220.

Kinda funny because I saw the CL ad within minutes of the time it was posted and sent a reply e-mail to Jack (aka "the other Jack") immediately. He called back a few hours later, surprised that I had responded so soon because he had not yet sent out an e-mail announcing the closing sale.

I'm driving up to Alameda tomorrow afternoon to fetch it. Maybe a pic of the DC and part of the lumber pile tomorrow.

Comment

• jhart
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2004
                • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                • BT3100

Nice score!!!
                Joe
                "All things are difficult before they are easy"

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

For that price, if the windings aren't shot, I'd get the motor into an electric motor shop, or if you are handy enough, get them yourself and replace the bearings, and brushes.
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by dbhost
                    For that price, if the windings aren't shot, I'd get the motor into an electric motor shop, or if you are handy enough, get them yourself and replace the bearings, and brushes.
                    Dave, induction motors (and surely this 3 HP motor is an induction motor), don't have brushes.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jackellis
                      Veteran Member
                      • Nov 2003
                      • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
                      • BT3100

It ain't real without photos, right?

Impeller housing and base. The impeller is 14"

Bag frames, bags and ducting.

The seller asked $75 for this one and $30 for another one that was a year older. There was an old price sticker on the housing for $595 and the unit is about 10 years old. Gave me all the flex hose and metal ducting I could carry (4"). Then he asked $10 for self-clearing metal blastgates (I took 5) and $.50 for hose clamps (I took 10). Go figure. But after getting almost everything I need for 1/3rd the price of just the dust collector I had planned on buying, I'm very pleased.

I need to clean it up and figure out what to do with the felt bags. Wonder if they can be carefully vacuumed and then put through the washer?

The lumber is cherry and walnut. Part of a sizable stash I bought last summer for $100 bucks.

Comment

Working...