• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

How do you store your blades?

Have you come up with anything interesting to store your blades for the TS, CMS, bandsaw etc..? Just digging for ideas beyond the pegboard.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

I'm in the process of removing a freezer from my basement. It will have to be cut into pieces because when I built my room addition, I didn't take into account that the door the freezer came in would be gone. I can't get it out without cutting it up.

When it's out (this weekend), I'll be putting in a table with storage. It will contain 8 pieces of pegboard (I know that's not what you were asking about). The pieces will each be roughly 24" X 36", and they will slide out for access. Actually, I'm already using this setup, but it will have to be redone this weekend. My blades are stored on 1 piece of pegboard, while the others hold hardware and other goodies. It works pretty well for me. When I get it done, I'll post pics of it. Maybe you'll reconsider, and use pegboard.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I have around 12 blades. I drive a few 16 penny nails into a stud in the wall to the left of saw. Hang 2-3 on each one with a piice of thin scrap in between each to keep the teeth from touching. Just drill a hole in a small.. square.. thin piece of stock and use it for a shim in between.

Sorry I don't have an eloborate system to tell you about but the Nails work fine.

Comment

• Knottscott
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2004
        • Rochester, NY.
        • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

This one is not mine, but is very similar to what I have. It's about a 20 minute project to make and works out well.

Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Knottscott
          This one is not mine, but is very similar to what I have. It's about a 20 minute project to make and works out well.

WOW that's a lot of blades!

Right now I have the following blades I will need storage for...

#1. Freud 40T. Spends most of its time on the saw.
          #2. B&D 60T, P.O.S. that came on my CMS. I am starting to hate this blade. The screen printing on this thing smears off of the workpiece. STUPID design, not the cleanest cuts. Might just give this to my BIL... He actually likes the blade...
          #3. Freud Diablo 1080X 80T.
          #4. Oshlun SDS 0630 Dado stack.
          #5. HF 105" x 3/8" P.O.S. which probably needs to go away now.
          #6. Timberwolf 105" x 1/4", 105" x 3/8" and 105" x 1/2"
          #7. Misc Freud 7.25" blades including finishing / crosscutting, and Hardie blades. I probably have 6 different circ saw blades.

I am not against using peg board in the slightest, I just don't want to use one 10" diameter space per blade, that wouldn't be a good use of my walls...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• HarmsWay
            • Nov 2003
            • Victoria, BC
            • BT3000

I use an a-frame pull-out. Keeps four blades convenient and out of harm's way (for HarmsWay).

Bob
            Attached Files

Comment

• MikeMcCoy
              • Nov 2004
              • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
              • Delta Contractor Saw

This isn't a very good picture but you can see my table saw storage in the lower right. Bandsaw blades are just rolled and stored inside the bandsaw.
              Attached Files

Comment

• LarryG
                The Full Monte
                • May 2004
                • Off The Back
                • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

My TS blades, and the stock blade from my CMS, are all stored in their original packaging, in a plastic box that lives under the extension wing of my table saw. Not an elegant solution but an easy one, and each blade is well protected.

For my band saw blades I built a wall-mounted rack, shown here in my previous shop (I scouted around for a pic of it in my current shop, couldn't find one):

The blades fit around curved rails at the top and bottom that have about a 1" smaller radius than the "cap" pieces you can see. The rack's vertical dimension is such that it *just* keeps the blades under slight tension, so they won't move around. Although not apparent in this picture, there's room for about five or six blades, depending on widths.
                Larry

Comment

• JimD
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Lexington, SC.

I have a drawer under the BT3100 in my mobile base that has a bottom of 1/2 or 5/8 inch thick material (I do not remember which). Dowels come through the thick bottom for my blades and dado blades/cutters. I made spaces of 1/4 thick OSB (could have used plywood) so I can slide the blades onto the dowel and use the spacers to keep the teeth of the blades from touching. I have to remove extra blades to get to the one I want sometimes but otherwise this arrangement works well. I also made a block to store the blade wrenches that is screwed to the drawer bottom so everything is in one place. The drawer is about 6 inches deep.

Jim

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

My Blade storage box

I made this to store blades:
                    Since blades and the full box are heavy I reinforced the corners, I pegged the cover in two corners to make sure the box did not distort when cosed
                    I hang the blades on a 1/2" dowel thats supported on both ends when cerrying the box... you can see the open end of the dowel has a peg that fits in a hole in the top cover.
                    I cut cardboard sheets to fit between the blades to prtect them from each other. The box is large enough that the blades fit comfortably and slide on an off the post easily (1/16" clearance around the post) but the blade tips don't hit the outer walls of the box.

And yeah, that's a twin-blade wobble dado.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by LCHIEN; 02-01-2009, 03:27 PM.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Tom Clark
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Jul 2007
                      • Deming, NM
                      • Powermatic 66 w/48" sliding table

I made a super-simple rack out of some scraps in about 10 minutes. The slots were cut in mdf, and plywood was used for the bottom and side handles. It is only about 6 inches wide and fits in a drawer under the table on my cabinet saw. This rack makes it easy to see all your blades at once, and to grab the one you want.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• RayintheUK
                        Veteran Member
                        • Sep 2003
                        • Crowborough, East Sussex, United Kingdom.
                        • Ryobi BT3000

My idea is very similar to that of HarmsWay - a pull-out caddy in my mobile table:

Click image for larger version

Name:	caddy02.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	783889

Ray
                        Did I offend you? Click here.

Comment

• ironhat
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2004
                          • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                          • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Really nice case, Loring. I like the slide outs on drawer guides too. Seems like a good way to use a bit of lost space. Nice work, folks!
                          Blessings,
                          Chiz

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

I'll say, you guys for the most part are seriously embarassing... So far I have my TS and CMS blades in a 11x11 sqaure of ply, with a 1/2" dowel in at about 95 degrees, so that there is just an ever so slight angle upward, in the center. This hangs from the pegboard, and the blades are separated with cardboard like Loring did his...

The band saw blades, at least for now, are simply rolled the way they came from the factory, taped up, and hung from a couple of nails on the wall behind the band saw...

The sliding tray idea I like, but I am using the space under the extended rails for other storage (heater / A/C units). I might just build a box similar to Loring's. I like the idea of being able to slide them on a shelf...

My thought process is oriented to space saving, as the shed project, while it has been put on a temporary hold until LOML and I figure out finances a bit better, and materials will have to be cheap to boot... The plan for the shed includes an 18" deep shelf above the workbench to hold such things...

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                              Veteran Member
                              • May 2007
                              • Tacoma, WA
                              • BT3000

I really have to kick myself for not cumming up with a more complicated way to store table saw blades. I just slip them back into the package they came in and slip them back on the shelf, on edge like a magazine. I have one sturdy wood thing that I use when I send a blade out for sharpening it holds one or two blades and can serve as a shipping container.

Comment

Working...