• Show
Clear All
  • brubakes
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2009
    • Medina, OH
    • Sears 315.228110

Garage Shop Lighting

When we moved into our house the idea of lighting in the garage was something to be desired. The 20 watt bulb in the garage door opener or a 60 watt in the single light bulb socket. It's time for something functional.

What do you use in your shop? What would you recommend? Things to watch for or watchout for?
  • dielectric
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2008
    • Kenosha, WI
    • BT3000

I have some 4-footers that I like quite a lot. They have quick-start ballasts and are designed to start in the cold (we've got single-digits right now!). Those are the two features I'd look for in the first pass; after that, I like chains to hang them and a good reflector.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

it may not be optimal, but a typcial 20x20 ish garage can be fairly lit with four 2x48" 40W fluorescent work lights, get them with a reflector and chains as suggested.
      They can often be had for under $10 (Walmart, HD, Lowes), and bulbs frequently for a few bucks a pair. Mine are slow to start when cold but are OK after a few minutes but sometimes buzz a bit when cold. All in all, relatively cheap lighting.

Add some spot lighting. I have another 2x48" above my workbench and small drill press and spot lighting on the router table, band saw and builtin lights on the big DP.
      Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-24-2009, 03:19 PM.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Kristofor
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2004
        • Twin Cities, MN
        • Jet JTAS10 Cabinet Saw

Originally posted by LCHIEN
        They can often be had for under $10 (Walmart, HD, Lowes), and bulbs frequently for a few bucks a pair. Mine are slow to start when cold but are OK after a few minutes but sometimes buzz a bit when cold. All in all, relatively cheap lighting.
        I agree with Loring's thoughts about how many lights are needed for passable lighting in a 20x20 area, though not many people would complain about having more than the minimum.

Also, keep in mind that "slow to start when cold" in Texas likely means "30 minutes of warm-up time", or "never gets to full brightness" in an Ohio garage during the winter.

If you have heat in the garage or only work there when it's fairly warm out it's no big deal, but if you're out there in the cold it's worth it to spend the extra bucks ($10-20 per fixture so not too bad) for one that's designed with cold weather in mind (which still don't work well at -20 but are okay down into the single digits).

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Kristofor
          I agree with Loring's thoughts about how many lights are needed for passable lighting in a 20x20 area, though not many people would complain about having more than the minimum.

Also, keep in mind that "slow to start when cold" in Texas likely means "30 minutes of warm-up time", or "never gets to full brightness" in an Ohio garage during the winter.

If you have heat in the garage or only work there when it's fairly warm out it's no big deal, but if you're out there in the cold it's worth it to spend the extra bucks ($10-20 per fixture so not too bad) for one that's designed with cold weather in mind (which still don't work well at -20 but are okay down into the single digits).
          slow to start when cold for me in southeast texas means under five minutes when its in the 40's.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• gary
            • May 2004
            • Versailles, KY, USA.

I have four fixtures in my two car garage (my shop). They are 8 footers and each have 4 x 48" daylight bulbs. I wish I had 2 more fixtures in there. I like it bright and no shadows.
            Gary

Comment

• Tom Slick
              Veteran Member
              • May 2005
              • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
              • sears BT3 clone

I'd recommend that you only buy T8 bulb fixtures and pay a little extra for decent ones. I've been unhappy with $10-15 fixtures so I cannot recommend them. if they are going to be mounted near the ceiling you don't need reflectors. If your garage has no ceiling then you will want reflectors. You'll want to put them directly over your work areas and preferably just in front of where you will be standing or pointed at the centerline of a workbench. that will reduce shadows in your work area.
              Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• brubakes
                Forum Newbie
                • Jan 2009
                • Medina, OH
                • Sears 315.228110

Originally posted by Kristofor
                Thats a hurdle I will need to consider. I live in NE Ohio and its gets freekin cold. To add to that one of the walls of the garage is not insulated yet

Comment

• Zenaca
                  Established Member
                  • Nov 2006
                  • Idaho

I have 2 8foot long high output florecent lites in my 25X25 shop and need 2 more. The half of the shop that they are in is well lit.
                  When it is 15 to 20 degrees out they get to full lite in about 3 to 5 min.
                  Above 25 to 30 they start at full lite.

They are a little spendy at $48 apiece but i got tired of the cheap 8 or 10 dollar shop lites not getting full lite and buzzzzing all the time.

Bud

Comment

• kbkreisler
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Oct 2008
                    • farmington mn
                    • ryobi bt3100-1

As many have said fluorescents are the ticket.
                    go with t-8 fixtures with electonic ballasts. AVOID ANYTHING WITH MAGNETIC BALLASTS
                    more efficient, better light output, start to 0 degrees.
                    I have 4 of the surface mount (no hanging chain) 48" fixtures in my 3 car garage with 9' cielings, and I am adding more above the workshop portion. I had 2 100 watt bulbs before and the 4 flourescents made a huge difference.
                    Last edited by kbkreisler; 01-24-2009, 09:46 PM.
                    there are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary and those that dont.

Comment

• Thalermade
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Ohio
                      • BT 3000

As a side note, think about how you are going to control your lights. In my small basement shop I installed outlets in the ceiling (floor joists) for the fixtures to plug into. The outlets of course are wired through a switch so they are easily controlled.

Instead of putting the outlets next to where the lights were hung, I spaced them around a bit in case I ever re-arrange my shop and need to move the light fixtures to better accommodate a new arrangement.

Russ

Comment

• SARGE..g-47

I have nine of the 4' T-8s with reflectors in the front shop (double garage about 26 x 34) and six in the rear shop as I only use about 2/3 of that half basement. I am pretty well insulated as my house sits on a slope.. The basement is underground and about 42" of the front of the shop is poured concrete as the garage is a drive under. The poured foundation gets taller going toward the rear and basement where it is about 12' at the extreme rear.

Takes about 30 seconds for them in even the coldest of weather here as the shop never has been under 48* when the outside was in the teens on those rare occasions.

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

I've got 6 2@ 48" florescent light fixtures, ceiling mounted. I use the Sunstik bulbs by Phillips I think it is... They offer a TON of light. I will keep these in place, and put the same number, and fixtures in my yet to be built shop building...
                          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• BB
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Feb 2005
                            • McDonough, GA, USA.
                            • Delta Contractor Saw with T-2 Fence, Incra 100SE, PALS, Tenryu Rapid Cut 40T and Ridgid Mobile Base

I just added (4) T8 2x48 inch lights to my basement shop. I got them from Home Depot for $18 each; they have the wrap around cover to protect the bulbs. The biggest issue was the choice of the bulb color. Warm White, Cool White or Daylight. I picked the Daylight bulbs and it has taken me a few days to get use to the color difference. At first, every thing looked blue, but now I actually like the lighting.

Comment

• BerniePA
                              Established Member
                              • Nov 2007
                              • San Tan Valley, AZ
                              • Grizzly 0575

In my double car garage which serves as workshop and wifes garage, I have one 2x48 in her half, in the workshop half I have directly over the table saw w/router in extension a 8' w/4x48, over my workbench I have a 2x48 and between these two, (making sort of a square) I have 2 more 2x48's for fill lighting.

So, I have my best lighting over the tablesaw/router, next best over the workbench/assembly table, with fill in between. These all have reflectors and are plugged into ceiling outlets controlled by a wall switch.
                              Bernie

Owww -- That spinnin' thang hurt!!

Comment

Working...