• Show
Clear All
  • jackellis
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2003
    • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

Assembly Tables

A recent thread that talked in part about a height-adjustable assembly table got me thinking about how to raise and lower an assembly table that could be quite heavy without having to use a lot of muscle. I'd want something that operates at heights between about 28 and 34 inches (or a bit higher and a bit lower if it could be done economically), with some drawers for storage underneath the table top. A 3'x4' table made entirely of 1/2" MDF would weigh over 100 pounds and I'm not up for lifting that kind of weight single-handedly on a regular basis.

One option is pneumatic cylinders, which can be had for as little as $40 apiece new. I could probably get away with two of them.

Another possibility is a rack-and-pinion assembly (actually two, one on each end). I can envision how it would work but I'm not quite sure where I could find parts or whether I could build this out of wood if I can't find metal versions that are economical. Maybe a couple of old drill presses if I can figure out how to connect the pinion gears to a single shaft.

Of course, I could always buy one of these and be done with it, but then I have one more thing to find room for and it wastes 8 square feet of shop space that's already pretty scarce.

Has anyone used pneumatic cylinders or rack-and-pinion assemblies in an application like this one?

This is just in the thought stage right now and I'm fishing for opinions.
  • Tom Slick
    Veteran Member
    • May 2005
    • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
    • sears BT3 clone

what about inexpensive scissor jacks? one on each side with a shaft between the two so that you crank one side and the other side goes up also.
    Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• shoottx
      Veteran Member
      • May 2008
      • Plano, Texas
      • BT3000

Jack

Take a look at this post http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...assembly+table

May help with your Idea!
      Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

if you look in HF under motorcycle and ATV lifts you can find some for as little as $100 and take up less footprint than the table lift you linked.
        They have limited range but you can fasten a table top to the stand and geta useful range for an assembly table.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

Table jacks

Have you thought about using trailer tongue jacks? I picked up 4 trailer tongue jacks at one of the HF type roving tools sales at the local armory. This device is designed to fasten to the tongue of your boat or utility trailer and piviot down when needed. It has a side mounted crank handle and a heavy caster wheel. It will telescope 8 to 10 inches and is capable of lifting many pounds. My purpose of purchasing them was to move a heavy steel work bench into my shop. They have a large bolt plate on their sides that would accomidate lag screws or bolts and could be mounted inside a work bench or table.

capncarl

Comment

• Mr__Bill
            Veteran Member
            • May 2007
            • Tacoma, WA
            • BT3000

Automotive floor jack.
            Just make a place at each end of the table for it to slide under and jack up each end and secure. or balance the table and do it from the middle. You need the jack to put the snow tires/chains on your car so you can charge the cost off to car expenses.

I got the stuff to make an assembly table last weekend, now to find time to build it. Mine will be a 1/2 plywood torsion box that rests on adjustable height sawhorses. If I figured it right I can store the top on the ceiling over the garage door. If I didn't, it's going to be a real pain to get that door open

Bill, on the Sunny Oregon Coast, only 16 inches of rain this season (Oct.1st), down 3", looks like another dry winter and fire season again next summer.

Comment

Working...