• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

240 volt extension cord

Along with my Unisaw, the seller also gave me a shop-made extension cord for 240 volt, and not very well made at that :

Can I do better? I am not sure stores sell any 240volt cord, but even if, do I have to? Maybe fixing this is good enough?

Looks like somebody took a wall outlet-box and created this. Should I get a regular 'socket' to make it?

The cable on the saw is 14/3, so I guess this yellow one is 12 guage?

And of course they had taped the wire ends; I could cap them. The green is ground, going to the metal on the box?
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Yes, HW stores do have 240V extension cords. But they aren't exactly a common item...

Check around in store. You should find them pretty easy...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LarryG
      The Full Monte
      • May 2004
      • Off The Back
      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

As long as the yellow cord is sound, you could just rebuild what you have there. Use a single-gang box, or get a cover that has only one opening in the center.

My first choice would be to replace the power cord on the saw with a longer one. That's what I did on my PM2000. I had to buy the plug anyway, since it came with none.
      Larry

Comment

• radhak
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2006
        • Miramar, FL
        • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by LarryG
        My first choice would be to replace the power cord on the saw with a longer one. That's what I did on my PM2000. I had to buy the plug anyway, since it came with none.
        Duh! Never thought of that! I just checked the manual, and it says for a 14g cord, I go upto 50ft in length. I have 8 ft, but need not more than 10 ft. So shall replace the cord (and plug) with a longer one. Thanks!
        It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
        - Aristotle

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
          Veteran Member
          • May 2003
          • Nanuet, NY, USA.
          • BT3100

Originally posted by radhak
          it says for a 14g cord, I go upto 50ft in length.

Do yourself a big favor and buy a 12 ga cord (in the correct length, no longer) and a really heavy duty plug.

Don't try to use 14 ga. for any large tools, you'll run the risk of eventually burning out the motor.

Bruce
          "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
          Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• BobSch
            • Aug 2004
            • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
            • BT3100

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen
            Do yourself a big favor and buy a 12 ga cord (in the correct length, no longer) and a really heavy duty plug.

Don't try to use 14 ga. for any large tools, you'll run the risk of eventually burning out the motor.

Bruce
            I agree! Never skimp on electrical wiring. Even if 14 ga will work, 12 ga gives you an extra margin, especially if the motor gets loaded down.
            Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• sd
              Forum Newbie
              • Jul 2003

I would toss the box and replace it with one of these.
              -- Steve

Comment

• mpc
                • Feb 2005
                • Cypress, CA, USA.
                • BT3000 orig 13amp model

RV centers (e.g. Camping World) have all sorts of "big" extension cables too. Not inexpensive but the quality is good. And they have them in various plug-ends. You can get crazy long cords too.

120 Volt, 30 amp extension cords...
                240 volt, 30 or 50 amp cords... Use one of these to steal power from the dryer or range outlet and power a small garage/shed shop... kidding.

mpc

Comment

• chopnhack
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • Florida
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Wow, thats really ghetto Radhak. I would first check to make sure that you have good continuity with very low resistance on all your lines. If they appear to be in good shape, simply switch out the cover plate. They sell for double gang boxes like that one, a cover plate for round plugs. If i remember correctly, HD has them for washer and dryers, etc. in the electrical aisle. And def. rewire that properly, twist together your pairs and cap them. If your unsure of your wire gauge, clip some off and check against whats in stock at the store.

EDIT - On second thought....I think most area's code require 4 wire now?! Don't they (tomslick?others?) I would check into it Radhak, you should be feeding two hots, with a neutral and ground for safety. The two hots come 1 from each phase, they return on a common neutral and then there is an additional wire for ground - 12-3 + ground.
                  Last edited by chopnhack; 11-10-2008, 11:19 PM.
                  I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• sd
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Jul 2003

There's no need for a neutral for a 240 Volt load. Two hots and an equipment grounding conductor are all you need. For something like a dryer that uses both 240 and 120 you would need a neutral.
                    -- Steve

Comment

• just started
                      • Mar 2008
                      • suburban Philly

Originally posted by chopnhack
                      Wow, thats really ghetto Radhak. I would first check to make sure that you have good continuity with very low resistance on all your lines. If they appear to be in good shape, simply switch out the cover plate. They sell for double gang boxes like that one, a cover plate for round plugs. If i remember correctly, HD has them for washer and dryers, etc. in the electrical aisle. And def. rewire that properly, twist together your pairs and cap them. If your unsure of your wire gauge, clip some off and check against whats in stock at the store.

EDIT - On second thought....I think most area's code require 4 wire now?! Don't they (tomslick?others?) I would check into it Radhak, you should be feeding two hots, with a neutral and ground for safety. The two hots come 1 from each phase, they return on a common neutral and then there is an additional wire for ground - 12-3 + ground.
                      There is no neutral/return on a 220v circuit, just the two hot wires and a ground, so 12-2/G is the correct wire, and I agree that a new wire of the correct length right from the saw to the outlet is the best way to go.

Comment

• Tom Slick
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2005
                        • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
                        • sears BT3 clone

a 4-wire circuit would be required for 30 amps or above on a newly installed circuit. There is no need for a neutral with a 20a saw.

If it were me I'd either install the correct cord end and delete the box or rewire the saw with a longer 12awg cord. 14awg would be acceptable for the saw but the price difference wouldn't be worth it.

I prefer twist lock connectors for stuff like this but they are a little hard to find and very $$$.
                        Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

Working...