• Show
Clear All
  • crokett
    The Full Monte
    • Jan 2003
    • Mebane, NC, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000

Loose Drill Bit Storage

I have a lot of drill bits that don't have a convenient way to store them - countersink bits, step bits, etc. They are all rattling around in a couple drawers. How do you store yours? I was thinking of scrap glued to the outsides of my DP cabinet with holes drilled to store the bits in.
    David

The chief cause of failure in this life is giving up what you want most for what you want at the moment.
  • MikeMcCoy
    • Nov 2004
    • Moncks Corner, SC, USA.
    • Delta Contractor Saw

I just drilled holes in a 4"x12" piece of ply that sits on a shelf over my bench for those things that dont have cases.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

I haven't yet, but I AM planning on taking a piece of 1/4" ply, and building a shallow top box, and just drilling the holes for each bit, starting from smallest to largest...

Right now they are rattling around the bottom of a Plano plastic tool box...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Mine are in the drawer of my DP cabinet, "organized" using those plastic trays that meat comes in.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• gsmittle
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • St. Louis, MO, USA.
          • BT 3100

I made a three-level stepped holder out of scrap and drilled holes for each bit. I had a lot of free time that day!

g.
          Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
          Bill & Ted

Comment

• Woodshark
            Established Member
            • May 2006
            • Atlanta

I purchased a good set and keep them in the case they came in. The rest are "stored" by being tossed into a small tool box that contains anything else that you can put in a drill chuck.
            sigpic

Comment

• thrytis
              • May 2004
              • Concord, NC, USA.
              • Delta Unisaw

My solution was to line the drawer with a piece of corrugated cardboard with the corrugation exposed. The bits are more or less held in place by the waves in the cardboard. Someday i'll a nice holder for all the drill bits, but until then this one minute solution works pretty well for me.
              Eric

Comment

• Ed62
                The Full Monte
                • Oct 2006
                • NW Indiana
                • BT3K

I just use a piece of 2 X 4 with holes drilled part way through the face. It's not pretty, but it keeps the bits from abuse.

Ed
                Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• jbrain
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Mar 2007
                  • roseville california
                  • Bt3100

At the local Ikea, they sell a magnetic bar that is an inch or 2 tall and maybe 18 inches across meant to mount on the wall for kitchen knives. Pretty cheap if I remember..

I mounted it on the pegboard and I can see all of the old beater drill bits and just stick them up randomly when done.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by jbrain
                    At the local Ikea, they sell a magnetic bar that is an inch or 2 tall and maybe 18 inches across meant to mount on the wall for kitchen knives. Pretty cheap if I remember..

I mounted it on the pegboard and I can see all of the old beater drill bits and just stick them up randomly when done.
                    They'll become magnetized. And then if you ever do any metal working (well, steel or iron, anyways) then the cuttings will all stick to your bits (yuck). I guess not a problem if you only do wood, plastic and aluminum.
                    Last edited by LCHIEN; 10-20-2008, 11:26 AM.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jbrain
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Mar 2007
                      • roseville california
                      • Bt3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                      They'll become magnetized. And then if you ever do any metal working (well, steel or iron, anyways) then the cuttings will all stick to your bits (yuck). I guess not a problem if you only do wood, plastic and aluminum.
                      No steel or iron work for me. 99 % wood.

Comment

• Alex Franke
                        Veteran Member
                        • Feb 2007
                        • Chapel Hill, NC
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Woodshark
                        I purchased a good set and keep them in the case they came in. The rest are "stored" by being tossed into a small tool box that contains anything else that you can put in a drill chuck.
                        That's exactly what I do!

Things like countersinks are in boxed sets, too.
                        online at http://www.theFrankes.com
                        while ( !( succeed = try() ) ) ;
                        "Life is short, Art long, Occasion sudden and dangerous, Experience deceitful, and Judgment difficult." -Hippocrates

Comment

Working...