• Show
Clear All
  • Hoakie
    Established Member
    • Feb 2007
    • Iowa
    • Craftsman 21829

My proposed Shop Layout

I have been working on upgrading my basement shop to frame the walls, and reorg due to new tool acquisitions. Here is what I'm proposing. Any and all suggestions welcome.

I need to build the router table and the workbench is next on the list (i have a temporary one there now but want something much more substantial.)

The grid on the floor is 1ft x 1ft.

Thanks for looking
    John
    To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk. ~ Edison
  • gary
    • May 2004
    • Versailles, KY, USA.

Can you get the dust collector closer to the planer and jointer? They produce big chips and it's be better if it were closer. My DC is in a corner like you're proposing and it's a real pain to change the bags.
    Gary

Comment

• wardprobst
      • Jan 2006
      • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
      • Craftsman 22811

Looks nice, I'm not real sure what some of the items are but it's impressive.
      DP
      www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• Hoakie
        Established Member
        • Feb 2007
        • Iowa
        • Craftsman 21829

Gary,

I tried to maximize open areas around tools and try to keep most tools to fixed locations, even though everything will be on wheels.

I thought about the bag changing issue, but everything I have near it is on wheels so I can move it out of the way pretty easy when it is time to change.

As for location relative to jointer and planer, the DC is currently sitting over my sump pump well (about dead square under the DC motor). As a result,if I did move it, I'd probably lose that corner unless I put some cabinets over there. I also have that darn pole to contend with. I had my planer over along that wall the drill press is on but it was pretty awkward to move long boards around. with it in the way.

I'll rack my brains and see if I can come up with something else and thanks for the food for thought.
        Last edited by Hoakie; 06-30-2008, 10:20 PM.
        John

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

I'm not sure I understand what all of it is, Sketchup is kind of fun that way I guess... But it looks like you have a benchtop scroll saw, drill press, spindle sander, and grinder. Alex Franke built a rolling benchtop tool cart that has slide out benchtops as it were where you could store the tools, and then slide the benctops out and clamp them in place on the bench... Hard to describe. I think it was a wood magazine idea. Anyway, you could buy back floor space with that sort of configuration... I am not sure you would want to be moving that benchtop drill press though... Those can be heavy!

Yeah, the closer you can get to the DC with the jointer and planer the better off you are. BUT... I have tested my AP1301 planer at the end of my shop vac based DC system, after a 20 foot hose, and I think 30 feet of tubing, and it still pulls clean and quite effective... A 4" system pulling over 1.4K CFM should really do the trick even over a long run. Just try to use clear PVC and clear hoses so you can see any obstructions!
          Last edited by dbhost; 06-30-2008, 10:54 PM.
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2007
            • Buena Park, CA
            • CM 21829

Nice layout - wish I could have that much free space and not have to move things around.

You may want to consider:

1) Infeed area to tablesaw. Looks like you have a good outfeed plan, but infeed area looks limited by proximity to the bandsaw, unless you won't be ripping any long boards.

2) Earlier comment about chip-makers should also include your router table. You may want to start by placing these near the DC, then accommodate infeed/outfeed for the long-run items, and fill in with remaining items such that they don't mess with infeed/outfeed. Assuming that's a RAS to the left of your router table, router outfeed (to the left) may be impacted unless RAS is same or lower table height.

Nice drawings - good way to plan.
            Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• shoottx
              Veteran Member
              • May 2008
              • Plano, Texas
              • BT3000

Nice Layout! You may want to think through lumber storage and project storage!
              Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• Hoakie
                Established Member
                • Feb 2007
                • Iowa
                • Craftsman 21829

Here is a picture from a different angle with some labels to help out.

Right now I think I have about a 20ft run is my longest to any dust making tool. I am running 4" PVC pipe for all but the ends of each run.

I am not "too" concerned about buying more floor space then is depicted at the moment (I know, i'm kidding myself). I was able to clean out a bunch more stuff like house paint, electrical and drywall tools and supplies. This alone gave me a great deal of space I didn't have before.
                I have room for lumber storage across from the furnace to the right of the door, but I will need to carve out a for glue, stain and other supplies. However I should have a pretty decent space for a flammable storage cabinet plus some more storage next to my red toolbox and under the bench near the RAS.

b0330923: Infeed/outfeed is an issue on most of my setup. I think I have about 7ft on everything as it sits. Since the BS is on wheels, I can move it up against the lathe if it is in the way. I don't plan on cutting down and full sheets and I'm not sure what I'll cut that is 8' (haven't run in to a situation where I've had to rip that much with out being able to rough cut to length first). As for the Router Table and RAS, I do plan on making it even with the RAS table. The bench to the left is also the same height (36 1/2").

I'll keep thinking about the chip makers. However, in my current setup, I'm pulling almost all chips from the lathe without issue and it distance is within 1ft of where it is depicted here. One possibiltiy is to swap the DC with the tool chest. However all my "hand tools would be a pretty far walk from the benches

Thanks for all your input, I'll keep on thinking this through.

My new motto is --
                "It is much easier to move pixels then it is to move power tools"
                Last edited by Hoakie; 06-30-2008, 11:37 PM.
                John

Comment

• AusRob
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Jun 2008

Hi Hoakie,
                  Great layout. I agree about the Dustie being a pain to empty if it doesn't have good access.
                  Hope it doesn't end up like mine where every flat surface becomes a shelf!

Regards,

Rob
                  http://www.dam%6efinefurniture.com/

Comment

• just started
                    • Mar 2008
                    • suburban Philly

If the water heater and furnace are gas or oil I would move the lathe next to the tool box and put the paint locker in that far corner, unless I could get it out of the room altogether.

Comment

• LarryG
                      The Full Monte
                      • May 2004
                      • Off The Back
                      • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by Hoakie
                      I also have that darn pole to contend with.
                      I'll trade you that one darn pole to my three that run right down the middle of the shop.

I've about decided that exercises like this can go on forever (which is not to say I don't think they're worthwhile). I spent a lot of time massaging a floor plan of my current shop, using CAD, and eventually arrived at a workable layout. Even so, after one year of occupancy, I'm still shifting things around. Some changes make sense and work well. Others prove to be only different, not better.

The one major question I'd raise about your layout is the location of your assembly table. When I'm in the assembly phase I find myself often going to the various tool stations, fine-tuning the fit of something or drilling holes or whatever. Depending on what you build and how you work, it looks to me like you might do a lot of walking. Maybe swap the lathe and grinder with the assembly table? I thinks that's the one major change I'd make if this layout were mine.

BTW, will your more substantial workbench be a Holtzapffel, as you have modeled? (I'm now patiently waiting for a stack of Southern yellow pine to reach equilibrium with my shop before turning it into my version of a Roubo.)
                      Larry

Comment

• dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Thanks for the new angle, and labels... That helps a LOT...

I was wondering what the tower looking thing was...

This is just me talking out of my ear as it were, but it does seem like you have an awful lot of bench space. Will that be an advantage, or a disadvantage for you?

What about lumber storage? (I know, me too... )

The outfeed bench, the workbench with the upright back, and the assembly table seem overkill to me... If it were me, and mind you I am just talking out loud here... I might lose the assembly table, move the upright bench elsewhere (not sure where right now mind you) and use that space for lumber storage...

Of course your milage may vary, see dealer for details blah blah blah...
                        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Hoakie
                          Established Member
                          • Feb 2007
                          • Iowa
                          • Craftsman 21829

LarryG

Good points about the assembly, I guess my thought was to keep it far from the major dust makers like the llathe, sanders and bandsaw. However, I'm going to try some things and see if I can't rotate around. And yes that is a Holtzapffel design that I plan on building. I really like the design and think it will suit my style pretty well. Right now the main thing I need is weight!!!

dbhost,

In addition to providing infeed support for my RAS, I use that bench for work other then WW (electronics etc). I do agree the back should go. Since my shop wasn't framed before, I put the tall back + pegboard to give me a place to hang frequently used tools. If I ditch that I should have a nice place to store long boards and other tools from the studs. I don't think I can afford to give it up completely. As for the assembly table, that is the version Rod posted it can be seen here, as you can see the wings can be lowered to make more space when needed

Here is a look at how my shop used to be set up

Initial layout

First Renovation
                          John

Comment

• Hoakie
                            Established Member
                            • Feb 2007
                            • Iowa
                            • Craftsman 21829

Ok, I've spent the last few days framing the walls (still have one section to do behind water heater and furnace.

Anyway, here are some pics of roughly how I was planning to set it up (pardon the mess).

Points of interest and things to remember:

- In its current layout, I have about 7.5' of infeed to the TS when I roll the BS out of the way.

- I plan to build a dedicated router table to go between lathe and RAS. The RAS and RT will be at the same height to provide outfeed support for each other

- I plan to build new workbench but it will be the same dimensions as the one that is currently there.

- I plan on putting the grinder on a cabinet like the DP and Belt/Disk sander so I can tuck it in the corner when I'm not using it.

- I need to add lights over by the assembly table

- The back and pegboard are coming off the workbench by the RAS this will be replaced with lumber storage racks and new tool storage

- I have several places where small cabinets/drawers can be built in or hung. I will do this as time and $$ allow.

-When I finish the last two walls and get the old DC piping out of the shop, I will do some experimenting with DC proximity to Jointer, Planer and RT, as others have suggested . Just for reference, all these tools are currently within 15 feet of the DC as the crow flies. I didn't take into consideration the vertical rises/drops.

Again thanks for looking
                            Attached Files
                            John

Comment

• dbhost
                              Slow and steady
                              • Apr 2008
                              • League City, Texas
                              • Ryobi BT3100

I see from your photos that I am not the only one on this forum that has done workbench construction with Simpson Strong Tie connectors...

Makes utility joinery FAST and very strong. But you got to admit it is funky looking...

Comment

Working...