• Show
Clear All
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Shop Layout Reality Check

Does anyone see any glaring flaws with this layout? The garage is 27 x27 with a 8.5 by 2.5 encroachment from the basement. I think the working configuration will work even though the workflow isn’t optimum. I have a dust collection drop right behind the band saw for it, the tablesaw, the planer, and the router table. A plastic box under the jointer gets 80% and I can sweep the rest. The black dots are posts, one of which has the dust collection drop attached to it. I need to build a planer stand, the assembly tables and a new router cabinet to make this work and I don’t want to go through that effort if I’m going to have issues. Someday I hope to replace my crappy miter saw with a radial arm saw.

In the parking configuration I think I’m OK. We can open the doors on all the vehicles. There is very little room behind the truck if the tailgate is open, and only about 2 and a half feet between the miter saw and the bandsaw but otherwise it is manageable. The bandsaw is mobile, but I don’t have anywhere else to park it.

Four years ago we moved from a house where my shop had little workspace, but room to store tools. That is now reversed. I’ve come to the realization that the 40x30 Garage Majal I have planned is still years away. In my old shop I built an ultimate tool stand 7’ x 2’, which was planer stand, router table, miter stand, and assembly table. It is no longer necessary since I can have all my toys out at once but I need to get the cars in the garage in the fall and winter or the squirrels will nest in them.

Working Configuration

Parking Configuration
    Chr's
    Veteran Member
    • May 2008
    • Plano, Texas
    • BT3000

Don't let the cars in the garage!

I can say that because I have to let the cars in the garage. It is a pain in the . Well, it takes extra time to set up and tear down a real problem when your are working on one of those projects that can't be finished in one session.
    Often in error - Never in doubt

Mike

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002

I'd love to leave the cars out all the time. I'm pretty much good for the summer and after December, but in the fall, the squirrels pack walnuts everywhere and last year ate over $1000 in wiring in our truck. My lovely wife wants her truck in the garage during the winter. This is not negotiable.
      Chr's

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

The only possible issue I see is clearance to the left of the TS meing limited by the BS and pole. Since your TS is on casters that should be more of an inconvenience than a real problem.

What is the object opposite the pole from the BS?
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

My initial thoughts are that the working configuration should provide for a comfortable arrangement, and assume that not all movable tools may not be out for use at the same time. One thing I did notice is the working direction of the table saw. I prefer to have the light behind me (open garage doors). Along with the working direction is the in and out space needed for infeed and outfeed. IOW, where the stock is kept and how easy is it to maneuver to the intended machine.

To give you something to think about, is storage or placement of work in process. Some projects require a set up time where it might need to sit until glue/finish dries. Other projects may be bulky or numerous pieces (like kitchen cabinets). If that occurs prior to having to move a vehicle in, may present a logistics problem of what may be in the way.

Comment

• twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002

Originally posted by Pappy
            The only possible issue I see is clearance to the left of the TS meing limited by the BS and pole. Since your TS is on casters that should be more of an inconvenience than a real problem.

What is the object opposite the pole from the BS?
            I break down sheet goods at one of the assembly tables with a circular saw and if I'm crosscutting longer stock it usually isn't wide enough that the pole gets in the way. I've been working with the tablesaw there in that position for a while and it usually works. I do have to move it on occasion and you're right, it's and inconvenience, but one I can live with.

The object behind the bandsaw is a scrap bucket for stuff that can be burned in the fireplace or bonfire pit. Everything else gets thrown at the trash can and picked up at the end of the day. I never seem to hit it.
            Chr's

Comment

• twistsol
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2002

Originally posted by cabinetman
              My initial thoughts are that the working configuration should provide for a comfortable arrangement, and assume that not all movable tools may not be out for use at the same time. One thing I did notice is the working direction of the table saw. I prefer to have the light behind me (open garage doors). Along with the working direction is the in and out space needed for infeed and outfeed. IOW, where the stock is kept and how easy is it to maneuver to the intended machine.

To give you something to think about, is storage or placement of work in process. Some projects require a set up time where it might need to sit until glue/finish dries. Other projects may be bulky or numerous pieces (like kitchen cabinets). If that occurs prior to having to move a vehicle in, may present a logistics problem of what may be in the way.
              I prefer to be facing the garage doors since I usually work with them open in the summer and there's very little light to come in in the winter. Lighting is a whole issue I'll need to deal with.

I don't use the jointer and planer that often so I think your point about moving stock from storage to the machine is really good and I can leave those two machines parked unless I need to use them. I just put the bandsaw where it is now and I'd hate to have to carry anything long through that narrow space and try to turn it when I get to the other side. My ceilings are only 7'8" so it all has to be moved horizontally. I guess I'm back o the drawing board.
              Chr's

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

You are a lucky man to have a garage long, and wide enough to park a full size pickup in. I could barely squeeze my old Ford Ranger std cab before I started cramming stuff into the garage. My F150 Supercab won't even think of fitting...

Stupid 1980s architecture...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• gary
                  • May 2004
                  • Versailles, KY, USA.

A major flaw is you're counting on your wife to stop her truck before hitting your table saw.
                  Gary

Comment

Working...