• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Storage for Spring Clamp set...

Okay this is a stupid thing to post a thread about, but I wanted to put this up here for anyone that might have this issue to get an idea of my solution...

The Problem: Harbor Freight sells 18 piece PVC spring clamps on the cheap. They are decent clamps, and useful as all get out, but where to store them? You shouldn't clamp them to anything so that you don't keep tension on the spring and over time ruin them.... And they take up too much space in a toolbox.... So what to do?

The Solution, at least for me: Since I have peg board on my shop wall, a quick trip to the peg hook aisle earned me 3 6" 1/4" wire peg hooks. I also had a single 2" hook in my spare parts bins...

The 18 piece pack of clamps has 4 sizes. Put the 2 largest size on the 2" hook, and then the remaining sizes, 1 size per peg hook. And you are done!

I had originally planned on running a dowel extesnion on my existing clamp racks, but this solution works so much better!
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • docrowan
    • Mar 2007
    • New Albany, MS
    • BT3100

DB,

I did almost the same thing. I only really use the two largest clamps, so I keep them on a pegboard straight hook above my bench. The rest are in a box marked "Clamps" in easy reach on a shelf. Now if the rest of my shop were this organized . . .
    - Chris.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Funny thing is, I have had these clamps for 2 weeks or so now, and so far I have only used the littlest ones for menail B.S. tasks on very small pieces... None of them on wood, but rather acrylic...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

I dont have that many but I just clamp them to whatevr is handy. As long as you dont clamp them to anything too thick I dont think you will ruin the springs anytime soon
        Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
        techzibits.com

Comment

• just started
          • Mar 2008
          • suburban Philly

I clamp mine to an old square that isn't.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

who likes those clamps anyway??? No way to adjust the pressure and very limited range of opening size. clamping them to something thin like 1/4" ply won't ruin the spring.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

I have mine clamped to a piece of aluminum angle on the rafters.
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• bmuir
                Forum Newbie
                • Jul 2006
                • Rochester Hills, MI
                • BT3100

Towel Rack

My spring clamps are all placed over the bar of a cheap towel rack that is screwed to a joist in my basement. This way the springs in the clamps are not under any pressure.
                Bill
                So little time, so much wood!

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

I thought about the cheapo towel rack routine, but the peg board hooks were WAY cheaper ( $.59 at Home Depot each vs. $5.99 for the towel rack)...

Comment

Working...