• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

A couple of different angles, storage cleared out, and more reflective of how I am really attempting to go. Benchtop tools instead of the more expensive $$ wise as well as space wise free standing tools like planer, jointer, etc... The Miter Saw bench / table is needing work right now as that is NOT how I plan on going about this...

I had trouble with drawing the plywood deck for the air compressor support, so I left it out for now...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Still working on it...

Hopefully I am on the right track...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LarryG
        The Full Monte
        • May 2004
        • Off The Back
        • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

What happened to the CMS/mortiser bench? Future development?

If you use your workbench (the one that doubles as the TS outfeed) for assembly, your clamps will be pretty far away. You might consider moving them to the wall just to the right of the CMS.
        Larry

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Still in fine tuning... The CMS bench is not existence yet. I am working in Sketchup trying to mimic what I actually own or plan to own...

The outfeed / bench is actually not the one I wanted, but I haven't found a Sketchup model of the Bobs Plans bench yet...

I am getting there though.

Yeah, I like the idea of moving the clamps to that wall.. But I am planning on putting lumber storage there... The portable CMS stand was done for a reason. In actual use it will get dragged over in front of the lathe (the reason for the extra blast gate).

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

In the original and later layouts, you have the BS, CMS, planer and Jointer all lined up.
            All of these can and do often handle (as well as the DP) longer boards frequently up to 6 feet long and sometimes longer needing as much as 6 feet from center to right or left.
            I do hear you plan to have everything on wheels but to me a better setup instead of having to move everything most of the time (esp. if plumbed to DC) would be to rotate everything about 20 degrees from parallel to the wall and thus you can still access the tool from mostly the front facing the wall but long workpieces will go between them, e.g. behind the tool to your left and in front of the tool on your right (not straight into the adjoining tool) and you won't have to move the tools so much. Probably move them out a bit so as to have more clearance since the pieces will now be angling a bit toward the wall. This does not guarantee not ever moving tools but should cut down on it quite a bit.

PS, the extra space away from the wall can be used for some low shelves or low lumber racks... as long as the shelves are kept below the height of the lowest "table" - probably the jointer - so as not to interfere with workpiece travel.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-01-2008, 01:16 PM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Hmmm. Yeah that is a thought...

The CMS bench is not exactly future development. I want to build one of those tower things that Wood Magazine featured where you can swap out benchtop tools. The CMS is stayin' put, but plans are for a mortiser, 6" Benchtop jointer, Benchtop spindle sander, Benchtop planer, Benchtop Scroll Saw, etc... and that will pretty much all go on the cart thing...

The as much as possible against the wall approach was taken to minimize bends in the DC tubing. I am not sure how else I would arrange it, but that is part of the fun!

Comment

• LarryG
                The Full Monte
                • May 2004
                • Off The Back
                • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Originally posted by dbhost
                The CMS is stayin' put, but plans are for a mortiser, 6" Benchtop jointer, Benchtop spindle sander, Benchtop planer, Benchtop Scroll Saw, etc... and that will pretty much all go on the cart thing...
                I don't know how many of these tools you already own, so forgive me if I tell you stuff you've already considered:

Benchtop planers are HEAVY -- as in, put-your-chiropractor-on-speed-dial heavy. Mine (Delta 22-580) tips the scales at around 80 lbs, at a guess. In my old shop I started out lifting it into working position atop my router table. That got old real quick, and I ended up building an extension on the router table so the planer could sit there full-time and just be slid down the table's length when I needed to use it. A planer is the one "benchtop" tool in the entire shop that you really don't want to be wrestling around very often. I'd suggest either putting it on its own stand, or design your multi-tool cart with the planer on a fixed shelf at working height, and open at the front and back, so you can feed material right through the cart.

A mortising machine is a fairly weighty item, too -- about like the benchtop drill press it resembles. This was another tool I was glad to finally give a permanent home. Almost worse than the weight is that the things are awkward to grab hold of securely. If you mount yours to a removable shelf with handles on it, that would help.

All the other tools you list are probably okay on the cart. I have the Ridgid OS/B sander, and it's really light. I think those little benchtop jointers aren't too bad, either.
                Larry

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

Just a quick rundown of the tools in the shop.

Ryobi BTS-21 table saw to be replaced by a C-man 21829
                  Ryobi AP1301 benchtop planer. It currently lives under the workbench against the back wall. It is a paint to drag in and out, but it is what it is...
                  Firestorm FS1000L CMS with folding stand.
                  Ryobi Router on a wolfcraft table, mounted to a shop built cart to bring the table working height to 38". Nice working height for me...
                  Vermont American drill press adapter with a 3/8" craftsman VSR drill. Very light weight. Most likely upgrade to a floor model Ridgid, but keeping it for now. The Ryobi is the only thing I found vaguely similar on Sketchup...
                  Ridgid Oscilating belt/spindle sander coming next payday...
                  DC system.
                  6" bench grinder...

That's all the benchtop / non handheld power tool stuff...

The rest are additions...

I am not wedded to any specific jointer yet, but I AM leaning to a Sunhill 6" benchtop unit to save space...

The band saw descision might be made for me. A friend has an old early 70's vintage Craftsman 20" in his barn collecting dust under a tarp. I think it is single phase 240v which is no problem to wire in...

I like having space to move around my equipment, so mind you, with this layout, I am trying to keep my tools movable, smallish... And I don't mind lifting the planer into position at all. I just don't like digging it out from under the current bench because I have to dig 4 other tools out just to get to it...

And who needs a Chiropractor? I've got some Parrot Bay, and Pinapple juice to take care of the strains & sprains from Saturday evenings... (in moderation, and only after the power tools have been put to bed for the night please!)...

Comment

Working...