• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Carlos
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

Total shop re-design and new tools

We've given up on the concept of the cars and motorcycles going on the garage. They're just in the way and always get covered with sawdust. So the bikes are going in the back with covers and the cars can stay outside where they belong.

I used Google Sketchup to draw the shop layout. I've also been using it to make basic drawings of wood and metal projects. It takes a few hours just to learn to use it, but then it becomes quite intuitive once you learn the complex issues of drawing in 3D. I also picked up a 3D Connexion perspective motion device, which lets you use your left hand to move in all directions while using the right hand to draw with the mouse. This device is impressive; it has something like 10 axes of motion and is VERY intuitive. In seconds I understood how to use it to move around. Using this prevents having to switch tools to move around, then switch back to draw. You can keep your drawing tools while moving, and even use a drawing tool at the same time as the motion too.

The shop setup is nearly done. Need to move a few things still, like a stack of wood flooring by the freezer, but the major work is done. The DC plumbing is all the way to the miter saw but I ran out of fittings there. Going to 5" hard plumbing feels like it doubled the air flow. I haven't build the miter station or workbench next to it yet. And I need to run a 230v line for the bandsaw, DP, and jointer.
  • Carlos
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

The philosophy used for tool layout was to maximize space by using infeed/outfeed nesting and to feed outdoors when possible. The TS, BS, and planer are all right at the garage door so for pieces larger than a foot or two we just open the doors and feed them out. The infeed side faces in so we can do small pieces without opening the doors. We also tried to orient it so two people can work efficiently, since LOML likes to turn and occasionally make small stuff. We used to step all over each other. So now she's got the lathe in a corner with easy access to the DP and a small sander (not in the drawing yet) for prepping blanks, although she does have to cross the shop to cut blanks on the BS. I put my welding table far off into the corner so there's less of a hazard for her if I'm welding, and less chance of sawdust and welding to mix. The only tool we expect to have to move on occasion is the router table near the BS. It would only have to be moved if we want to cut or route a piece larger than 4' long.

I re-did all the DC with hard pipe and installed the JDS gate switch system, which turns on the DC when you open a gate. Since we're spreading out we don't want to have to walk all around to turn on the DC. Also I often forget to close a gate and have to go back and close it when I move to another tool.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

A couple thoughts... There are a lot of jigs, miter gauges, push sticks, etc that one might commonly use with the TS. There is a lot of room under the extension table that would make for a nice spot for a cabinet for these accessories. Also, It might make sense to put wheels on your assembly table, so that it could be used for outfeed support on the TS.

I guess you don't get much rain in AZ. Rainy days are usually shop days for me, and here in FL, I would be screwed if I had to open my garage doors for outfeed in the rain.

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
        • Aug 2007
        • Minneapolis, MN
        • BT-3000, 21829

Great layout and incredible drawings! Did you create all the tools, beches, etc or is there a library of these elements?

My grandson and I have been noodling with Sketchup for a while, but I didn't realize how complex the drawings can be. This would have saved me a lot of time in laying out my shop.

Thanks for sharing.
        You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
        of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• jovani
          Forum Newbie
          • Aug 2007

woodshop

Carlos, thanks for sharing the these floor plans.

I don't have a garage. I do hace a 12x20 carport- which is now junk storage. with all the stuff I have in there it seems to small for a worshop. Any ideas out there in what you can do with a space like this. The carport is attached to the house with a flat foof. I would need to enclose it, but I am hesitant that 12 Ft is not enough.

I am a nubie to woodwork, and can't figure out the computer programs ou there. Any suggestions and floor plan ideas would e greatly appreciated.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

very impressive use of Sketch-up, Carlos!
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• JR
              The Full Monte
              • Feb 2004
              • Eugene, OR
              • BT3000

+1 on the use of Sketchup! I just can't get the hang of that program...

I've been doing a complicted glueup over the weekend, so I might offer a bit of advice regarding the workbench, if you don't mind.

Ideally, you'll want to be able to walk all the way around the workbench. Sometimes you just have to get to the other side of a piece under construction.

Second, you might want to find a way to get the clamps closer to the bench. It looks like your shop might be able to support a mobile clamp rack, a la Norm Abram. That would work well.

It's a great looking shop, Carlos!

JR
              JR

Comment

• Carlos
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2004
                • Phoenix, AZ, USA.

There is a lot of room under the extension table that would make for a nice spot for a cabinet for these accessories. Also, It might make sense to put wheels on your assembly table, so that it could be used for outfeed support on the TS.
                Good points, and part of the plan. The assembly table will "dock" with the back of the miter station to make one big space, and will be movable to work as in/outfeed, or just be able to walk all the way around it. The middle of the garage was left empty for that reason. Or to roll the welding table in for the same reason. The space under the TS has traditionally held scrap and cutoffs, but your idea makes more sense.

Did you create all the tools, beches, etc or is there a library of these elements?
                A lot of them are in the library. There are thousands of pre-made components out there. Open the Component list in Sketchup, and you'll see three icons at the top right of the Component window. The bottom one opens the online library. Some of them I made myself. Many of them started as pre-made components and I modified them to be like my tools. Some are mixed, like taking a stand from one tool and putting it under another. I would be happy to share the files for the shop or the components with anyone who wants them.

a mobile clamp rack
                Cool idea. Didn't think of that, have never seen one. Wouldn't be hard to do though. I think I'll also look at attaching the shorter ones to the side of the bench. It's a great point you make; I'm constantly walking to and from our existing clamp rack.

Comment

• JR
                  The Full Monte
                  • Feb 2004
                  • Eugene, OR
                  • BT3000

Clamp Rack

FWIW - here's Norm's. As usual, a video tape and comprehensive set of drarings are available from newyankee.com.
                  JR

Comment

• chopnhack
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • Florida
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Great shop Carlos! I enjoyed that episode of New Yankee. The flip up caster for the assembly table was ingenious. I was thinking of incorporating that idea into my future design for TS cab and workbench.
                    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
                      The Full Monte
                      • May 2007
                      • Sunshine State
                      • BT3000

Originally posted by JR
                      FWIW - here's Norm's. As usual, a video tape and comprehensive set of drarings are available from newyankee.com.
                      "drarings"... I love it!

Comment

• 9johnny5
                        Established Member
                        • Mar 2005
                        • Orange Park, FL
                        • BT3100

Bt

Has anyone built a Sketchup model of the BT3x00 yet? I took a cursory look though the models, but the closest I saw was a Craftsman. The woodworking tools .skp file doesn't really have anything like it.

Unfortunately, I just don't have the time these days to draw one out. I think it might come in handy.

Just wondering.
                        Johnny C.
                        not exactly Norm...al

Comment

Working...