• Show
Clear All
  • liftoff621@hotmail.com
    Forum Newbie
    • Oct 2005
    • San Francisco Bay Area, CA, USA.
    • Craftsman 22124

Another Cyclone Question

I am finally setting up my Grizzly Cyclone. Grizzly says not to put it in the same room with an open flame. My water heater has an open flame pilot and is about 12' away from the cyclone location. Am I asking for trouble? The water heater is next to an outside wall. Would it be better to build a closet around the water heater with a vent in the outside wall? I plan to run the cyclone with a door open in the garage at all times. The cyclone is not in a position for me to build a closet around it or to vent it outside due to nearby neighbors. Pete
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

I am not sure that this would actually do any damage, but the caution is valid. If a safety on the water heater failed and the cyclone happened to suck the pilot light out, then you have a shop full of gas. It may even suck fumes when running, but I would think those would be there without the cyclone. If possible, I would do what you asked about. Enclose the water heater completely and vent to the outside. The exhaust vent should already be vented, but the intake air should come from outside. This is also good for any stray fumes the heater might produce, especially if it isn't tuned just right.
    Better safe than sorry.
    Lee

Comment

• cgallery
      Veteran Member
      • Sep 2004
      • Milwaukee, WI
      • BT3K

So, the cyclone and water heater are in the garage together, and the workshop is elsewhere?

I'm trying to figure out the layout, but...

Would it help (if the above is correct) to plumb the filter stack back into your shop?

That way no positive or negative drafts from the cyclone could cause problems w/ the pilot.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

The danger from the flame is the possibity of explosion from the saw dust. The same dangers as seen in grain silos exploding when dust is ignited via a motor or overheated bearing. Your cyclone that close to the hot water heater may well be a concern.

good luck
        capncarl

Comment

• liftoff621@hotmail.com
          Forum Newbie
          • Oct 2005
          • San Francisco Bay Area, CA, USA.
          • Craftsman 22124

Originally posted by cgallery
          So, the cyclone and water heater are in the garage together, and the workshop is elsewhere?

I'm trying to figure out the layout, but...

Would it help (if the above is correct) to plumb the filter stack back into your shop?

That way no positive or negative drafts from the cyclone could cause problems w/ the pilot.
          Thank you for your replies. My workshop is in my garage. Everything - the gas water heater, cyclone, tools, electric clothes washer and electric dryer - are in the garage.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

i personally don't think the issue is igniting sawdust.
            I think it has to do with the possibility of (1) sucking hard enough to blow out the pilot light in which case failure of the pilot safety mechanism could lead to acculation of gas and explosion, or (2) the possibility of creating a negative air pressure in the room and sucking exhaustgases back into the room with possible asphixiation issues.
            Either one could happen with certain DC plumbing scenarios and they probably don't want to take a chance so they just said, don't do it.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...