corrugated drain pipe for dust collection?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • billfrommich
    Forum Newbie
    • Jan 2007

corrugated drain pipe for dust collection?

Could flexible 6" black plastic corrugated drain pipe (non-perforated) be used in a dust collection system? The corrugations probably increase the frictional losses in the system , and might encourage dust to bulid up (but many long vacuum hoses are corrugated plastic) . On the other hand, it would be easy to make very large radius bends in the system that should reduce losses (compared to the small radius bends encountered when using Metal or PVC elbows). Also there is the question of whether it could stand up to the pressure differential. I'm asking because a Lowes near me is clearing the material out at $6.50 per 10 ft. length.
  • Hellrazor
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Abyss, PA
    • Ridgid R4512

Bill, I think it would cause a static problem in a big way. Not to mention it would hold a lot of dust.

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

I think i t might also be prone to collapse under suction, and any kink would weaken it.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

the corrugations are horrible for flow resistance.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Jeffrey Schronce
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • York, PA, USA.

The flex DC hose that you are thinking about has webbing between the ridges to make it much smoother inside.

As noted it would kill flow in a big way. And don't under estimate the static issue either! Bam!

Comment

Working...