• Show
Clear All
  • radhak
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Miramar, FL
    • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Originally posted by Tom Clark
    I am grateful to everyone for the 6000 views of this post. I hope that 5000 of you are now out in your shop and building much needed shop cabinets. There is no such thing as too many drawers in a shop!
    Count me in one of those - have added a set of drawers under my workbench, and i don't want to admit for how long I have been wanting to do that. I also added a couple cabinets where i had not anticipated before.

Your book helped me in one great way - it took away the aura of complexity (that they had for me) from drawers and such. now every construction i see, i am able to break it down into similarly simpler design. thanks.
    It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
    - Aristotle

Comment

• dkerfoot
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2004
      • Holland, Michigan
      • Craftsman 21829

Just thought I would mention that if you'd prefer to buy Tom's book via PayPal, it is available here:
      http://www.amateurastronomy.com/AA%20Store.htm
      Doug Kerfoot
      "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
      "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
      KeyLlama.com

Comment

• nadz
        Forum Newbie
        • Dec 2005
        • Rocket City, AL, USA.

couldnt resist, this looks like a terrific resource for the first time cabinet builder, cant wait to get it!
        -----------------------------------------------------------------
        Proudly piddling in my garage shop | BT3K, Rigid 10" CMS, Rigid 12" Planer, HF Jointer

Comment

• dkerfoot
          Veteran Member
          • Mar 2004
          • Holland, Michigan
          • Craftsman 21829

Book just arrived. Very helpful and inspiring.

Does anyone have a good source for the types of slides Tom uses? I followed the link to gliderite.com but they seem to be out of the European types.

I'd like a good source for glides, pulls and hinges as appropriate for basic shop cabinets.
          Doug Kerfoot
          "Sacrificial fence? Aren't they all?"

Smaller, Smarter Hardware Keyloggers
          "BT310" coupon code = 10% for forum members
          KeyLlama.com

Comment

• TB Roye
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Sacramento, CA, USA.
            • BT3100

I ordered mine from Grizzly. When you are on the website search for Drawer Slides and then click on the Catalogue page to get a better price for multipuls or you can call them. Good price and fast service. The have 3 warehouse and the send them from the one closest to you. Think I got 18 22inch ones for like $3 each. I got just the simple white one and the are fine. On drawer has all my catalogues and books in it and it is heavy no problem other big drawers have my corded power tools and one has my sanders no problem with the weight. Mistake on price They are on page 477 of the catalogue part #T20412 with a price of $4.50 a pair. I think they went up in price since I bought mine. They are the 22 inch ones used in the 18 drawer cabinet that Tom talks about and I built.

Tom
            Last edited by TB Roye; 03-15-2008, 07:17 PM.

Comment

• hermit
              Established Member
              • Dec 2002
              • Somerset, PA, USA.

Check Woodworkers Hardware also. I don't know the link, but I can't imagine its too hard to find. I get most of my hardware from them. Get a catalog. They have everything you ever need.

Todd

Comment

• johnbon
                Handtools only
                • Feb 2008

Casters are a great idea

Tom,

I recently got your book and plan on making a cabinet similar to the one shown with the casters (2 sets of 4 drawers) but the book did not have details on mounting the casters. Could you provide some detail on how the casters were mounted and if any stiffeners were added (particulary around the center divider).

John B.

Comment

Working...