• Show
Clear All
  • Tom Clark
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2007
    • Deming, NM
    • Powermatic 66 w/48" sliding table

Building Easy Shop Cabinets

On my recent shop tour thread there were a couple of requests for more detail on building some of the shop cabinets that fill my shop. I finally have a new computer and access to some photos again, so here goes. Apologies if this is too lengthy…
    I started learning cabinet making 20 years ago. Like everyone else, I bought a book on cabinet making. After reading the book and seeing how the writer went about building his designs, I decided it was way too complicated for me, and started to simplifying the process to better suit my tastes. I just wanted strong, simple shop cabinets, ones that could be sketched out and built in a weekend.
    My shop is filled with projects that mostly were started on Friday evening after work, and put into use that Sunday. My ideas will not suit everyone, so keep in mind that you can change anything you like. I use plywood for face frames for shop cabinets. For office furniture and other house projects solid oak is used for the face frames.
    I don’t use mdf for construction, but let’s not start a war here. If you like it, fine. I just think it's too heavy, too weak, I can’t lift a sheet easily, I hate the dust, and don’t like the way it holds fasteners. I started out building cabinets out of 3/4” BC plywood, and ended up building every project out of oak ply. I just like the lack of voids, the looks, and the way it takes a simple finish. It also seems to take fasteners well. I do occasionally use mdf for workbench tops if it is doubled two layers thick, like shown in the photos below.
    My first cabinet was built in the “European” style. That is to say that it had no face frames. The sides bowed and the drawers fell out of their tracks. Of course the design was bad and it was my fault. Even so, I have only built face frame cabinets since then. The very simple structure is extremely strong and light until the top is added. I use a 16 gage nail gun with 1.25 -2” nails, and fill the holes with Famowood putty. The only other fasteners used are 1/4" crown x 3/4" long staples to hold the 1/4" plywood back on.
    The cabinet shown below has a minimum of parts, uses a minimum of wood, and goes together very fast. Some of the cabinets shown in the shop tour thread have 500 or more pounds on them, and all are built the same way. I no longer build shelves/doors below the height of the workbench top. Doors and shelves at eye level are fine, but below the top of workbench height holds only drawers. I find that drawers hold twice as much as shelves, and they are easier to find things in. It’s just a personal preference.
    The construction photos are self explanatory. Just notice the small blocks already mounted to the face frames to center the center drawer supports. Additional small blocks are in place to help hold the horizontal back boards. You can build these cabinets any size you choose, and no drawings are necessary. I use a simple sketch to write sizes on, and start cutting out the parts.
    The first photo shows a finished cabinet, and it does not look too simple to build until you see just the basic parts assembled.
    The back of the cabinet is flush, with small notches in the middle so the horizontal boards can be flat. The plywood face frame parts are added to the front, and then the back is stapled in place flush to the edges and top and bottom. Adding the precut back will square everything up. Stand the cabinet up, use a carpenter square to see that the sides are square to the back before all the glue joints dry.
    Attached Files
  • Tom Clark
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2007
    • Deming, NM

Part Two

Notice the extra top supports added to help keep the top from sagging. Normally I have already added the drawer slides before assembly starts except when using full extension slides. (The full extension slides keep sliding out and getting in the way when rolling the carcass over.)
    Photo 2 shows the way the small blocks are nailed/glued in place first to help hold the horizontal stringers. Notice how the back comes right to the edge and top and bottom. The edges of the 1/4” back are are routed over with a 1/4” round-over bit, and the edge of the back seems to disappear. You will never notice it. You could hardly call this joinery, but it is very strong and easy. The first layer of the top is glued and nailed with 2” nails all the way around the edges and middle. The second layer was glued and clamped. The edges are trimmed after the glue dries.
    Simple 1/2" plywood drawers use butt joints and the 1/4” bottom is glued and stapled flush to the bottom. This really keeps the drawers very square and very quick to build. I always use slides that mount on the bottom corners of the drawers because they are so easy to mount. The false fronts are added last. The last photo shows another cabinet built in the same way except that it was mounted on 5” casters to make it easy to move around.
    Hope this is some help. If you missed them, there are 18 more photos of shop cabinets on the Building the Dream thread.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Tom Clark; 08-30-2007, 06:06 AM.

Comment

• gad5264
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2005
      • Columbus, Ohio, USA
      • BT3000/BT3100NIB

Nice looking cabinets Tom.
      Grant
      "GO Buckeyes"

My projects: http://community.webshots.com/user/gad5264

Comment

• gerti
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
        • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Awesome looking cabinets! I got just the place for them (well OK, I'll MAKE the space for them)...

Comment

• ironhat
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2004
          • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
          • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

I wondered why there was no toe-kick until I saw the unit up on its casters. Very nice and beautifully simple. I also like your squring jig for the drawer assembly.
          Last edited by ironhat; 08-30-2007, 11:18 AM. Reason: addition
          Blessings,
          Chiz

Comment

• Tom Clark
            Forum Newbie
            • Jul 2007
            • Deming, NM

Originally posted by ironhat
            I wondered why there was no toe-kick until I saw the unit up on its casters. Very nice and beautifully simple. I also like your squring jig for the drawer assembly.
            Ironhat:
            I leave out a toe kick to keep the construction as simple as possible. Having the top overhang 3-4 inches accomplishes the same thing, The one with the casters is a separate workbench. The first one did not need to be portable due to its location.
            There are a dozen other cabinets in the photos from my shop tour to demonstrate the how the cabinets can use the same simple construction to build in many variations.
            The "squaring jig" is called an "angle plate" in the machinist trade. It is very useful as a third hand when in the shop.

Gerti,
            Consider this: One of the best places for these cabinets is when they are used to replace the space wasting empty stands that many machines come on. They can really make any shop more efficient by using otherwise wasted space. I don't use any "machine stands" in my shop,
            Last edited by Tom Clark; 08-31-2007, 06:09 AM.

Comment

• radhak
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2006
              • Miramar, FL
              • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

As an abject newbie, your posts/pics are absolutely helpful, thanks. The closeups help a lot, eg photo 2 of the 2nd set. Any close-ups of the squaring jig?
              It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
              - Aristotle

Comment

• Dale In Corona
                Forum Newbie
                • Jan 2005
                • Corona, CA, USA.

Wow, thanks Tom. I have been doing some reading, trying to understand cabinet making so that I can try to build some new cabinets for my own shop, and this was just the thing I needed to help me get started.

I talked to a few other guys I know that live in my area and claim to do wood work (though I have yet to see any of their work). Some of them make cabinetry out to be akin to rocket science. Lets just say that after talking to them I was a little intimidated about the process and unsure of where to start. Your process seems straight forward and I am really looking forward to trying to adopt it.

I am a little "green", I guess, because some of the terminology you used, that I have seen before, still seems a little foreign to me, eg: "stringer".. but that is just me, a little dense about some things.

Thanks again,

Dale

PS, the pictures really help!
                Last edited by Dale In Corona; 08-30-2007, 11:59 AM. Reason: Add PS

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Liberty, SC, USA.
                  • Ridgid TS3650

Nice cabinets, Tom. thanks for the excellent write up.

Comment

• Garasaki
                    • Sep 2006

Good write-up. Sort of motivational too..."hey making cabinets is easy!!"

If you wanted to us the same process but desired a toe kick, you'd just have to build a 4" high box and set these units down on top of it...
                    -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
                    -Henry Blake

Comment

• ironhat
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2004
                      • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                      • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Originally posted by Dale In Corona
                      <snip>

I am a little "green", I guess, because some of the terminology you used, that I have seen before, still seems a little foreign to me, eg: "stringer".. but that is just me, a little dense about some things.

Thanks again,

Dale

PS, the pictures really help!
                      Bah!! Dense has nothing to do with it, Dale. Any time you begin to investigate something new there is an entirely new dictionary of terminology involved. Getting to know it is a just a construct of time and repetition. Dense is cutting off your little finger and using your ring finger to push the amputated part past the spinning blade -

Don't sweat it and just get some saw dust on the floor. The words come with time
                      Last edited by ironhat; 08-30-2007, 03:22 PM.
                      Blessings,
                      Chiz

Comment

• jking
                        • May 2003
                        • Des Moines, IA.
                        • BT3100

Originally posted by Tom Clark
                        Notice the extra top supports added to help keep the top from sagging.
                        Can you explain what holds the extra top supports. From the picture, it appears these are just butt jointed with maybe some brads or nails. I'm assuming there's something else I'm missing.

Comment

• Rand
                          Established Member
                          • May 2005
                          • Vancouver, WA, USA.

Nice work. It is kind of inspiring. I really like the idea of replacing tool stands with mobile storage cabinets. I have a small shop with lots of tools. I was thinking of getting some herculifts but I think cabinets with drawers is a better idea. Thanks Tom.
                          Rand
                          "If all you have is a hammer, everything looks like your thumb."

Comment

• Tom Clark
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Jul 2007
                            • Deming, NM

an invitation

]jking: Can you explain what holds the extra top supports. From the picture, it appears these are just butt jointed with maybe some brads or nails. I'm assuming there's something else I'm missing.

J: If you are like me you have to read the directions a couple of times before they all make sense. From the first part of the post: I use a 16 gage nail gun with 1.25 -2” nails, and fill the holes with Famowood putty. The only other fasteners used are 1/4" crown x 3/4" long staples to hold the 1/4" plywood back on.

radhak
                            As an abject newbie, your posts/pics are absolutely helpful, thanks. The closeups help a lot, eg photo 2 of the 2nd set.

Thanks!! I wrote a book on telescope making 15 years ago and it helped form a revolution in the hobby. I recently retired from publishing Amateur Astronomy Magazine for 14 years, so I guess I just like writing and explaining things.

Any close-ups of the squaring jig?
                            Sorry, not with me. Make it any size you wish. Mine is about 12" wide and 16” high, with a couple of braces in the middle. Keep the angle at 90˚.

Garasaki: Good write-up. Sort of motivational too..."hey making cabinets is easy!!"
                            [/I]
                            Cabinet making is easy if you ignore all the people who try to make it sound complicated. For years every time a fellow woodworker walked into my shop and saw my simple cabinets, they said that I should write a book called Cabinet Making For Dummies. I changed the name to Practical Shop Cabinets when I wrote it a couple of years ago. If you are a beginner in cabinet making you may like it. You can find it with any of the search engines. When my shop came out in America’s Best Home Workshops a few months ago the best part about it was that it helped show everyone just how some simple shop cabinets can really help anyone’s workshop to be far more efficient.

By the way - a reminder. I am having some guys over to my shop on Oct 20. I will post details and directions a few weeks earlier. Anyone who is not too far from north west Florida is welcome to come over. Tom
                            Last edited by Tom Clark; 09-28-2007, 05:58 AM.

Comment

• stevemus

Super Nice!

Comment

Working...