• Show
Clear All
  • RodKirby
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
    • Mao Shan TSC-10RAS

Question for the Jig freaks...

Someone posted a link to this guys illustrations - no text just pics - great stuff!

I have spent a lot of time trying to work out how this works.

I presume it's a Table saw jig for cutting miters (?). What I cannot work out is how the (support?), block on the moving top doesn't get in the way - all the time. Unless it's maybe a sinlge-use jig.

Thoughts anyone...

Last edited by RodKirby; 12-06-2008, 04:20 PM.
    Downunder ... 1" = 25.4mm
  • DonHo
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2004
    • Shawnee, OK, USA.
    • Craftsman 21829

Well if it's for cuting miters I can't see how it could work either. Maybe it's used for something other than miters, like cutting thin strips (set it just outside the blade and move the fence over for each cut) or mabe checking that the blade or fence is square to the miter slot. Hope we find the answer, you've got me wondering too

DonHo
    Don

Comment

• guycox
      Established Member
      • Dec 2003
      • Romulak, VA, USA.

The piece on the nose is the stop block -- the actual cut is on the straight side near the catcher's side of "home plate".

For it to work well the pointy end would have to be away from the blade so the stock is pushed towards the stop block..... But it seems like the table saw table would need to be pretty large to get the fixture and the stock that far in front of the blade.
      Guy Cox

Life isn\'t like a box of chocolates...it\'s more like a jar of jalapenos.
      What you do today, might burn your butt tomorrow.

Comment

• hermit
        Established Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Somerset, PA, USA.

Originally posted by DonHo
        Well if it's for cuting miters I can't see how it could work either. Maybe it's used for something other than miters, like cutting thin strips (set it just outside the blade and move the fence over for each cut) or mabe checking that the blade or fence is square to the miter slot. Hope we find the answer, you've got me wondering too

DonHo
        Don is exactly right. I've seen this in a magazine somewhere before. I am 99% sure thats what it is.

Todd

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by guycox
          The piece on the nose is the stop block -- the actual cut is on the straight side near the catcher's side of "home plate".

For it to work well the pointy end would have to be away from the blade so the stock is pushed towards the stop block..... But it seems like the table saw table would need to be pretty large to get the fixture and the stock that far in front of the blade.
          Baseball analogies don't mean squat to Rod - He's in Australia where they play cricket, not baseball, and on top of that he's told me he cares not a nit for sports, anyway.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• jackellis
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2003
            • Tahoe City, CA, USA.
            • BT3100

Baseball analogies don't mean squat to Rod
            Draw it with wickets. I've got to believe Rod has at least seen a cricket match even if he could care less.

Comment

• eezlock
              • Feb 2006
              • Charlotte,N.C.
              • BT3100

question?

If I'm not mistaken that may be a thin strip ripping jig. It is adjustable for different thicknesses and rides in the miter guage slot. eezlock

Comment

• TheRic
                • Jun 2004
                • West Central Ohio
                • bt3100

Originally posted by eezlock
                If I'm not mistaken that may be a thin strip ripping jig. It is adjustable for different thicknesses and rides in the miter guage slot. eezlock
                That is what I thought it was when I saw it. The board underneath would slide in the miter slot.

Might also be something for a router table. Acts a little like a fence but I would think the square end piece should be larger for that.
                Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• cabinetman
                  Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

It could be a adjustable fence for use on a band saw, or a router table. The little block looks like it is the stop for the "most" forward movement.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Liberty, SC, USA.
                    • Ridgid TS3650

Originally posted by eezlock
                    Yep, so it is. I have a mag around here somewhere with that jig in it.

Comment

• Garasaki
                      • Sep 2006

Seems like a convoluted way to set up an auxillary fence for ripping thin strips.

Would you really want to use a jig that rides in a single miter slot for that? Seems like it would be unstable.

And why is the adjustable fence on there any better then the regular fence?

I dunno, I think Niki's way of doing skinny strips beats this one out pretty good.
                      -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
                      -Henry Blake

Comment

• DonHo
                        Veteran Member
                        • Mar 2004
                        • Shawnee, OK, USA.
                        • Craftsman 21829

"And why is the adjustable fence on there any better then the regular fence?"

I don't think it's used as a fence. I think you would place it on the left side (or the opposite side of the blade from the fence), the adjust it to the thickness of the strip you want then place your board against the fence and slide it over until it contacts the jig, then make the cut. Slide the fence over until the board is against the jig once more and cut the next strip, etc. It's more like an adjustable stop block.

DonHo
                        Don

Comment

• radhak
                          Veteran Member
                          • Apr 2006
                          • Miramar, FL
                          • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

That is the jig from American Woodworker, Jan 2007. It's for ripping multiple thin strips of exactly same width from a wider piece of wood : you fix it on the miter slot on the 'other' side of the blade, and after each cut move the TS fence closer (you don't move this jig at all).

The distance of the 'support block' from the cut-line determines how thin your final strips are.
                          It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                          - Aristotle

Comment

• LarryG
                            The Full Monte
                            • May 2004
                            • Off The Back
                            • Powermatic PM2000, BT3100-1

Although I've not seen this particular jig before, I've seen others that function the same way, exactly as DonHo and radhak describe. The little block that Rod asked about in his OP acts like a featherboard, in addition to being the gauge block.

EDIT: I should say that the block can act like a featherboard if the jig is rigged so it won't slide in the miter slot -- which, upon further review, I see that this jig is not. Easy enough to fix; but if that's not done, the jig should be set aside before making the cut.
                            Last edited by LarryG; 07-23-2007, 10:54 AM.
                            Larry

Comment

• Garasaki
                              • Sep 2006

Ahhhh I gotcha now.

I personally don't like having to move the (saw) fence for this sort of operation.

This could probably also be useful for a router table though.
                              -John

"Look, I can't surrender without orders. I mean they emphasized that to me particularly. I don't know exactly why. The guy said "Blake, never surrender without checking"
                              -Henry Blake

Comment

Working...