Tools storage - open cubbies, or in their case???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GaryA
    Established Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Tampa, FL, USA.

Tools storage - open cubbies, or in their case???

what do you guys think, or what have you learned? As I'm working on storage for the shop, I'm thinking having them all quick and easily accesible will be a big benefit vs. keeping them in their cases. I know they'll be more exposed and it'll be one more thing to clean/blow off/vacuum. I was thinking about somethink like on Vanguard's: http://www.just4fun.org/images/woodw...es/cubbies.jpg and what I know some of you guys have done as well. Thoughts?
    Gary
  • blame
    Established Member
    • May 2007
    • Northern MO
    • delta ts-220 or something like that

i really like that idea of the cubbie holes for each tool

i think i need to do something like that, my shop is in such a disorganized mess i cant find anything when i need it. i'm always losing something or putting where i cant see it

i would be scared to post any pictures of it

only thing i would add is doors to keep out the dust

anyway i would go for the cubbie holes

blame

Comment

• Uncle Cracker
      The Full Monte
      • May 2007
      • Sunshine State
      • BT3000

I'm a bit OCD, but I actually use both. I have enclosed cabinets hung in the shop, and keep most of my tools there, in their cases, if available. Those that I use most often around the shop are kept out of their cases, but I do still transport my tools in their respective cases when I go off-site. I also use a silver Sharpie to mark the cases with what's inside, as many of them otherwise look the same.

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Mine vary. Infrequently used tool are in their cases. Drills are in storage built into the drill press cabinet, routers are in drawers in the router station. Sanders, jig saw, circular saw are on a cabinet shelf.

If you go with the cubbies llike in the link, either put them behind doors or make sure the inlet to air tools are capped to keep sawdust out.
        Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
        Fools because they have to say something.
        Plato

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Maybe you missed this post/poll a month or two ago?

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread...ght=tool+cases
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• TheRic
            • Jun 2004
            • West Central Ohio
            • bt3100

Originally posted by Pappy
            ..If you go with the cubbies llike in the link, either put them behind doors or make sure the inlet to air tools are capped to keep sawdust out.
            Have heard of people using a curtain instead of door. It's more out of the way when open, but will let more dust in than a door.
            Ric

Plan for the worst, hope for the best!

Comment

• ironhat
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2004
              • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
              • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Originally posted by TheRic
              Have heard of people using a curtain instead of door. It's more out of the way when open, but will let more dust in than a door.
              We did this when we first move into this house and didn't have the cash for doors to cover the water softener and the storage area behind a small home-office. The curtains can e made of anything and held in place with spring loaded expansion rods. We got so used to them that they are still there 22 years later. Now, in a shop app they would be a dust catcher so I would also opt for some simple doors with mag catches.
              Blessings,
              Chiz

Comment

• ExYankee
                Established Member
                • Mar 2005
                • Pleasant View, Tn.
                • BT3100-frankensaw

I went with open cubbies becasue I sorta agree with King Solomon

"When goods increase, they are increased that eat them: and what good [is there] to the owners thereof, saving the beholding [of them] with their eyes?"

Eccl 5:11

or translated to Nahmism.

When you get more tools, there are more projects that your spouse can be impressed by, and what good is there to the owners thereof but sitting in your shop chair and looking at them
                Attached Files
                John Dyer
                ExYankee Workshop...

I think history would have been very much different if Leonardi DiVinci had a belt sander.

Comment

• gwyneth
                  Veteran Member
                  • Nov 2006
                  • Bayfield Co., WI

Cubbies with sliding doors. Either simple (hardboard or plywood in routed grooves) or fancier--the WW magazines have featured some pretty elaborate "sliding tool storage systems.

Simple sliding doors give you the advantages of both open and closed storage. Plus if you paint the outer side white it will make your shop a lot brighter and more light-efficient.

Comment

• dlminehart
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2003
                    • San Jose, CA, USA.

I personally am not fond of sliding doors. They always cover up half the opening, get crud in the tracks, tend to balk, and look funky. I'd have doors, curtains, drawers, and open cubbies, in that order, before having sliders. YMMV.
                    - David

“Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -- Oscar Wilde

Comment

• liftoff621@hotmail.com
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Oct 2005
                      • San Francisco Bay Area, CA, USA.
                      • Craftsman 22124

Another Option

I don't have much space. This option allows me to easily pull them from the holder. The chargers are on a shelf above the the drills, below a cabinet. Made from some scraps in my shop (garage). Pete
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Tom Clark
                        Forum Newbie
                        • Jul 2007
                        • Deming, NM
                        • Powermatic 66 w/48" sliding table

Originally posted by GaryA
                        what do you guys think, or what have you learned? As I'm working on storage for the shop, I'm thinking having them all quick and easily accesible will be a big benefit vs. keeping them in their cases. I know they'll be more exposed and it'll be one more thing to clean/blow off/vacuum. I was thinking about somethink like on Vanguard's: http://www.just4fun.org/images/woodw...es/cubbies.jpg and what I know some of you guys have done as well. Thoughts?
                        Gary,

I do things a little different than many other woodworkers. When I buy a tool I immediately throw out the case. The tools that I use most of the time sit under my bench, plugged in all the time, and are ready to use immediately whenever they are needed. Tools that are not used daily sit in a drawer in an adjacent workbench, where they can be grabbed and ready to use in a few seconds.

Tom

Comment

• ironhat
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2004
                          • Chambersburg, PA (South-central).
                          • Ridgid 3650 (can I still play here?)

Nothing wrong with that idea, liftoff!
                          Blessings,
                          Chiz

Comment

• prlundberg
                            Established Member
                            • May 2006
                            • Minnesota
                            • Craftsman 21829

I think I may just have to steal Pete's idea.
                            Phil

Comment

Working...