• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by ddamoore
    Loring & Tom, as a follow-up question; are you guessing that the use of the cyclone separator has a larger drop in air-flow than the use of other separators, such as the trash can ones?
    I don't know the answer to that. I do know that cyclone design is an exact science. There are several factors to a cyclone - height, diameter, flow rate, type of material (air or fluids) slope of the funnel - that affect the cut point of what falls thru the bottom and what goes out the top.
    A trash can separator is a non-scientific solution that sort of works.

I find a whole range of opinions on whats good and not. Some people are perfectly happy with what their trash can separator does for them and some are not. I suspect that those who find it works with a large 2HP-type DC have more restriction in their piping and don't get maximum flow. Those whose system is flowing well or have relatively short, big ducts find that the trash can is scoured clean.

I'm not going to say what's right or wrong, some people who don't get the maximum flow may be perfectly happy because it works for them. Others want to get the maximum performance and aren't happy (Bill Pentz for example) with less than the theoretical max.

So I'm going to hedge my bet and say it may work for you, you have to be the judge for yourself based on your criteria - and I know that's hard to do when you have no experience, you're about to spend $300-1000 on a system and you don't want to overspend but don't want to have to scrap it and start over, either.

My system is a HF 2 HP DC with a neutral vane mod, grizzly 2 micron canister and plastic bags. I have a couple of 4" x 10' hoses hooked to it, I use two on my BT3000 and one (with the other closed off) for Planer and jointer.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• stlmacgeek
      Forum Newbie
      • Jul 2006
      • BT3100, is there anything else? :)

Originally posted by LCHIEN
      My main concern about these is what the restriction-induced drop in airflow would be when you added that thing. If you look at the PSI catalog you'll see that the HP for the 2-stage units starts where the one-stage units stop. That sort of tells me if you add a aftermarket cyclone to an existing one-stage unit you won't have enough power, but I'm guessing with my engineer's hat on.

Also the stock 2-stage units have the impellor in the top of the cyclone which saves another source of restriction - the add'l hose.
      Thanks for the feedback Loring and everyone. I truly do appreciate it. On the advice gained here I have already purchased the HF 2HP DC which I added the Neutral Vane to before assembly. (Great directions and pattern Loring!) Monday I ordered the Wynn Environmental Canister Filter upgrade for it, I hope to have it early next week. I just thought that this cyclone might improve the whole system, but after all of your feedback I doubt it. I am sure it will work well.

Thanks!
      Kevin

Comment

• ssmith1627
        • Dec 2005
        • Corryton, TN, USA.
        • Ryobi BT3100

I'm gonna try to search on that but can someone explain the neutral vane ? Are those plans posted somewhere public ? I don't know what it is but would like to learn and explore it. I'm very likely going to be buying the HF DC as well.

Thanks,
        Steve

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by ssmith1627
          I'm gonna try to search on that but can someone explain the neutral vane ? Are those plans posted somewhere public ? I don't know what it is but would like to learn and explore it. I'm very likely going to be buying the HF DC as well.

Thanks,
          Steve

http://www.bt3central.com/showthread.php?t=19173

do a search and you'll get all the poop.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• ddamoore
            Established Member
            • Jun 2003
            • Oklahoma City, OK, USA.
            • Craftsman (Ridgid 3612 Clone)

Thanks.

Loring,

Thanks for your input and advice. Dennis
            Dennis

"Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects" - Will Rogers

Comment

• hobkirk
              Forum Newbie
              • Jul 2005
              • Acton, MA, home of the original Minuteman - about 20 miles West of Boston

FYI, I think Lee's DC posting is quite fascinating and informative (I found ideas that I haven't found elsewhere) - http://www.leestyron.com/dustcollector.php
              Good luck
              Doug Hobkirk
              WOOD LOON

Comment

Working...