• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stlmacgeek
    Forum Newbie
    • Jul 2006
    • BT3100, is there anything else? :)

HF Dust Collector opinions and Upgrade?

I am considering buying the HF 2HP Dust Collector. I would like to hear some feedback from anyone who owns one currently. I know the bags it comes with are worthless but I intend to wheel it outside of my garage around the corner when I am using it until I can upgrade it.

I have seen a couple of references to the "canister upgrade" for it. Any opinions on that? Where can I find it? Would that somehow be better than the Highland Shaker Felt bags? Any input or feedback is greatly appreciated.

For background I will be using this mostly with a minilathe and occasionally with a BT3k TS, sander and bandsaw. But only one tool at a time.

thanks,
    Kevin
    St. Louis, MO
  • gary
    • May 2004
    • Versailles, KY, USA.

Be aware the switch has a high failure rate and you may have to replace it in the first year. I'm using Grizzly 0.3 micron bags on mine (Wynn canister was not available at the time I purchased mine).

It sucks dust real well!
    Gary

Comment

• jspelbring
      Established Member
      • Nov 2004
      • Belleville, IL, USA.
      • Craftsman 22114

Hf Dc

stlmacgeek,

Hello from the other side of the river (I live in Belleville).
      I bought the HF about 3 months ago, and also ordered the Wynn canister. Works great so far - a little noisy, but so far it's handled everything I've thrown at it.

-Jon
      To do is to be.

Comment

• JR
        The Full Monte
        • Feb 2004
        • Eugene, OR
        • BT3000

Originally posted by stlmacgeek
        Would that somehow be better than the Highland Shaker Felt bags?
        As I understand the theory, the larger surface area of the pleated filters, such as the Winn, gives higher volume even with fine filtering than bags.

JR
        JR

Comment

• DUD
          Royal Jester
          • Dec 2002
          • Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA.
          • Ryobi BT3000

I've had mine 4 years, no problems. I have mine on a dedicated circuit with an on/off switch beside the light switch. I never use the switch on the DC. Bill
          5 OUT OF 4 PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS.

Comment

• maxparot
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
            • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

Mine has the canister upgrade from Wynn Environmental. As stated the pleated filters surface area is many times greater than a bags. This allows for better flow characteristics and less frequent cleaning. I have not experience any problems with my DC and it sucks very well.
            Opinions are like gas;
            I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

I've had mine for a year and a half, replaced the bags from the get-go with the grizzly canister, no problems after I got it together.
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-12-2006, 08:40 AM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Popeye
                Veteran Member
                • Mar 2003
                • Woodbine, Ga
                • Grizzly 1023SL

I've had mine for about a year. Added a trashcan seperator, need to replace the bags with something better I use a remote control switch so that hasn't been an issue. My Jointer and planner are the farthest equipment from the DC (probably 25') and it sucks everything they can put out. I could use that 4" hose for a floor vac it wasn't so awkward. Pat
                Woodworking is therapy.....some of us need more therapy than others. <ZERO>

Comment

• coach
                  Established Member
                  • Jan 2005
                  • Forney, TX.
                  • Powermatic 66

I've been using mine for well over a year with the stock bags. They are really POS, and I need to fork out the money for the canister.

I'll tell you now that I don't even use the HFDC when sanding.... most of the particles from the sander blow right through the 30micron bags.

Other than that, I think it is well worth the price. Even with the Wynn, Grizzly, or JDS canister upgrades; it is still cheaper than anything else comparible.
                  If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

Comment

• gerti
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                    • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

I have mine since about 2 years, modified with a Grizzly container from the beginning. Despite being on a dedicated circuit with switches all over the shop, the never-used switch on the DC broke. But other than that I have no complaints.

Comment

• ssmith1627
                      • Dec 2005
                      • Corryton, TN, USA.
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Can anyone post a link to the Wynn cannister filter you're talking about ? Where is it available and cost ?

Also the replacement bags. Just looking at the grizzly site there are lots of options. How can you tell which ones fit the HF 2hp DC ?

I'm seriously thinking about the HF DC and want to start getting these concepts straight in my head.

Thanks,
                      Steve

Comment

• BobSch
                        • Aug 2004
                        • Minneapolis, MN, USA.
                        • BT3100

Originally posted by ssmith1627
                        Can anyone post a link to the Wynn cannister filter you're talking about ? Where is it available and cost ?

Also the replacement bags. Just looking at the grizzly site there are lots of options. How can you tell which ones fit the HF 2hp DC ?

I'm seriously thinking about the HF DC and want to start getting these concepts straight in my head.

Thanks,
                        Steve
                        Here's the link to the Winn site: http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm
                        That link includes both syle filters and the bags.
                        Bob

Bad decisions make good stories.

Comment

• ssmith1627
                          • Dec 2005
                          • Corryton, TN, USA.
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Yow. Ok. Thanks for the link. Not cheap at all I see.

Steve

Comment

• stlmacgeek
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Jul 2006
                            • BT3100, is there anything else? :)

Thanks and Neutral Vane question

I would like to thank everyone for the feedback on this. I went ahead and bought the DC on the 11th before the coupon expired. I plan on buying the Wynn upgrade shortly.

I would also like to thank Loring specifically for the guidance on the Neutral Vane. I read through a bunch of posts about it and I plan to add it to the DC as well. I had originally planned on buying the trash can seperator, but this looks like it will do the trick and will save the room that the seperator would have taken up.

Loring's NV template calls for the sheet to be 10" x 15-17/32" is that a specific sheet that I can buy somewhere or do I cut that from a larger sheet? Can I find the material to make the NV at the local HD or Lowe's?

thanks,
                            Kevin

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

What I did was buy a piece of sheet-metal ducting at Lowes or HD. It comes open but youre supposed to roll it up and interlock the edges to make a tube section. Anyway I got a piece whose flat dimensions were big enough and cut it with tin snips.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA
                              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...