X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thestinker
    • Oct 2005
    • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

dust collector

Ok...this is still a few months away, but I am researching and shoping now so here is the ?. I am thinking about the 2hp HF dust collector a lot of people have. Is it a good idea to get / make a cyclone for it like what is used on shop vacs, or just use the bag set up the unit comes with. Also what size pipeing works well. All 4" till I need to reduce down or what. The DC will be in a shed behind the garage and piped in from there, so I will be needing some kind or remote start, or wire the plug in a couple of 3 way/ 4 way switches...havent decided which yet.

Riley
    Awww forget trying to fix it!!!! Lets just drink beer
  • monte
    Forum Windbag
    • Dec 2002
    • Paw Paw, MI, USA.
    • GI 50-185M

I use the HF 2HP DC with the Wynns filter conversion and a trash can separator with 4" runs. It works very well.
    Monte (another darksider)
    Reporting Live from somewhere near Kalamazoo

http://community.webshots.com/user/monte49002

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

BIll Pentz's answer is that if your flow rate is high enough (and with a 2HP it could be) then a trash can sized separator will be scoured clean by the DC.

He says at appropriate flow rates you need a separator the size of the cyclones sold; in that case you might as well get one because it will work better.

I think that many users are successfully using trash can-sized separators successfully to capture the big stuff. There are probably several possible reasons why.
      one, with the restriction of the separator and 4" hoses they are probably getting way less than maximum flow, less than Bill P recommends but more than enough to keep the hoses clear.
      Its widely known that Bill's calculations are kind of worst case.
      two, Bill's wrong, I don't know anyone that's challenged his calculations.

I suspect it's more of the first.

Anyway, try it, Make sure you stay away from the five-gallon ones.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• thestinker
        • Oct 2005
        • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

No, the size cyclone I was thinking of would be in the 55 gallon verity. At least would be like a 35 gallon metal trash can rig, I just wasn't sure what was comercaily available with out breaking the bank per say.

Comment

• thestinker
          • Oct 2005
          • Fort Worth, TX, USA.

No, the size cyclone I was thinking of would be in the 55 gallon verity. At least would be like a 35 gallon metal trash can rig, I just wasn't sure what was comercaily available with out breaking the bank per say.

Comment

• maxparot
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2004
            • Mesa, Arizona, USA.
            • BT3100 w/ wide table kit

I also have the HF 2hp DC with the Wynns conversion and a trash can separator.
            Loring is correct in his assumption that the 4" line cause enough restriction to allow the separator to function.
            I find that with this setup about 80-90% of the debris end up in the trash can if I empty the can before or at 1/3 of it's capacity. Allowing it to fill any more will product scouring into the DC.
            As has been noted air flow is far from the maximum but more than enough to keep the lines clear.

My feeling is even if you optimize your system as Bill Pentz suggests no DC system will provide 100% particle capture. If you feel the need to provide yourself with the ultimate in protection then you need a triple defense.
            1) Reasonable DC particle collection.
            If you get a reasonable amount of particles when they are produced there is less to clean up later. No DC gets it all.
            2) Use of a properly sized Air filter in the shop.
            For what the DC misses that is floating around the shop. Get it out of the air so you don't need to wear a respirator full time in the shop.
            3) Use of a respirator whenever engage in dust producing activities.
            If you are up close to a dust producing activity some of that dust is headed in your direction. Heavier particles may make it to the floor or the tops of other surfaces. Sooner or later you will need to dust, sweep and vacuum. These activities will also kick up the dust at you and you need protection at this time.

There is a guy on Ebay that is selling small cyclones for the type of use we are speaking of.
            Opinions are like gas;
            I don't mind hearing it, but keep it to yourself if it stinks.

Comment

• stewchi
              Established Member
              • Apr 2003
              • Chattanooga, TN.

I also have the HF 2HP DC with the Wynn filter conversion, and central vein. It is currently sitting on the floor in my basement (I just moved) but I previously had it hooked up the following way (Which worked well). 5” overhead HVAC line, with 4” flex hose drops (Jets and HF accessory kit) with blst gates. 6” drop from overhead to with a 6-5 reducer connected straight to the intake (4” wye removed). When I tool the unit apart I had some dust settled in the bottom of the 5” overhead run. I suspect this is due to the way I had the BT setup. I had a 4” flex hose to the dust port, a second 4” hose to the belly pan and a 2.5” hose to the shark. Probably not enough airspeed to keep all the dust moving, but it worked really well.

Comment

• sacherjj
                Not Your Average Joe
                • Dec 2005
                • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
                • BT3100-1

Originally posted by maxparot
                There is a guy on Ebay that is selling small cyclones for the type of use we are speaking of.
                I remember seeing a link for this in January, but I haven't been able to find the cyclone recently. Anyone know the ebay userid of the guy making and celling cyclones? I believe they were around $160-180.
                Joe Sacher

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

The seller is eastcaroga and he lists them @ $169. I considered it, but my shops ceiling is 6'. So I use the trash can seperator. (I was going to build my own, but I got Woodcrafts lid, as a gift) I think Pappy is the one I saw that used a 55 gallon drum.

Since you are placing your dust sucker out of your shop, I would look at Woodcrafts (just where I first saw them) or elsewheres, low voltage blast gates, with remote activation.
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Liberty, SC, USA.
                    • Ridgid TS3650

"The DC will be in a shed behind the garage and piped in from there"

Riley,
                    Have you considered that you will be sucking your heated/cooled air out of the shop at a high rate?
                    ken

Comment

• sacherjj
                      Not Your Average Joe
                      • Dec 2005
                      • Indianapolis, IN, USA.
                      • BT3100-1

Thanks Randal, that was the one I was looking for. He must have not had an auction going when I searched last.
                      Joe Sacher

Comment

• meika123
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Advance, NC, USA.
                        • BT3000

When either building or buying the seperator, be sure to extend a pipe (it has a name, but I can't recall it at this time) on the intake side-down approximately one-third the distance to the bottom. or you will not be able to suck large chunks of wood or nails, etc, into the sucker without them hitting the impeller. (WHEW-long sentence, huh?) I learned this by trial and error.

Dave in NC
                        Last edited by meika123; 02-28-2006, 07:27 PM.
                        Stress is when you wake up screaming and then you realize you haven't fallen asleep yet.

Comment

• SplinterHead
                          Established Member
                          • May 2003
                          • Omaha, NE, USA.

I built-out a HF 2hp DC system with a Wynns canistor filter, cyclone (mentioned above (ebay)) and Oneida 6" inlet upgrade to the DC. I mounted the cyclone to a steel barrel as can be seen in the attached photos. The system has/is working out very well. Its actually a little over kill for what I need right now, but once I got started on its design I had to do-it-right!
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by SplinterHead; 03-08-2006, 12:11 AM.
                          Ken

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by SplinterHead
                            I built-out a HF 2hp DC system with a Wynns canistor filter, cyclone (mentioned above (ebay)) and Oneida 6" inlet upgrade to the DC. I mounted the cyclone to a steel barrel as can be seen in the attached photos. The system has/is working out very well. Its actually a little over kill for what I need right now, but once I got started on its design I had to do-it-right!
                            Now, that, is a dust collection system! I'm very impressed.

Do you have plans for a hoist or suspension rig for the cyclone so you can empty the barrel
                            or have you not filled it for the first time as of yet?
                            Last edited by LCHIEN; 03-08-2006, 12:20 AM.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA
                            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• SplinterHead
                              Established Member
                              • May 2003
                              • Omaha, NE, USA.

I need the exercise!

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                              Now, that, is a dust collection system! I'm very impressed.

Do you have plans for a hoist or suspension rig for the cyclone so you can empty the barrel
                              or have you not filled it for the first time as of yet?
                              The cyclone's out-feed is attached with flexible hose and the cyclone's in-feed ductwork is fully adjustable. All I need to do is loosen the barrel's rim bolt and the whole cyclone/plate assembly removes and is set on the floor so the barrel can be emptied (that is, when it gets half-full "for the first time"). I plan on mounting the barrel to castors or use a furniture dolly etc. to help move the barrel. As a whole, the system is designed to have mass for stability, but when broken down, it's really very manageable!
                              Ken

Comment

Working...