• Show
Clear All
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

Piano—Need input from the Brain Trust

The top of the piano has a place where the veneer is peeling. I'm assuming it's from a flower pot overflow or something like that. My question is, is there a way to flatten out the veneer and reglue it? Or any other way to repair?

Please ignore the orange tint—it's CitriStrip. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0544.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	156.1 KB
ID:	857027
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Repair? No, clean it up and sand smooth/ finish and have a piece of glass cut for the whole top. Now the leaking pot is no problem and the top looks good again.

Comment

• twistsol
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2002
      • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
      • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I can't tell from the picture, but it looks like it is peeling from the edge.

If it is peeling near the edge and you can lift it up and get glue under it glue generously with tighbond original because you can release it with water in the future if you need to. Be sure to get the glue spread all the way under the veneer to where the veneer is solidly attached to the substrate. Use a toothpick or a sharpened popsicle stick. Cover it with wax paper and a couple of layers of 3/4 MDF and clamp it if you can or weight it to flatten the veneer while the glue dries.

If you have a bubble in the middle of a piece, cut along the grain in the middle of the bubble and glue one side, and then come back and glue the other.

Both of these assume the veneer has just peeled and you aren't missing any pieces.
      Chr's

Comment

• Nick Keenan
        Established Member
        • Apr 2004
        • washington, dc, USA.

I have had some success replacing the veneer. You want to cut it with the grain with a very sharp knife to get a clean edge, then you buy some matching veneer and glue it on. You need to figure out a way to apply even pressure while the glue dries.

How good it looks depends upon how good a job you do gluing, and how closely the veneer and the finish matches what's already there.

Comment

Working...