Bonding veneer to fiberglass and applying epoxy finish?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Bonding veneer to fiberglass and applying epoxy finish?

With the camper cabinet rebuild process, I am looking at reducing weight so instead of MDF (99.5 lbs per sheet of 3/4") I am looking at a combination of birch ply (74.4 lbs per sheet of 3/4") and 3/4 XPS foam. 3.9 lbs for 4x8 sheet of 3/4.

Now XPS itself isn't super rugged. So yes I am planning on doing fiberglass, and of course polyester resin eats XPS foam instantly but epoxy doesn't. My thought process here is...

#1. Build the countertops 3/4" Pecan / Hickory and Walnut butcher block.
    #2. Build the cabinets / fiberglass them, smooth them out and then APPLY veneer. Once veneer is applied epoxy finish it to protect it from moisture.

As the title says, how could I bond the veneer to the fiberglass? I am thinking possibly the epoxy resin, but that begs the question of how to pull this tight to the fiberglass panels.

Again the idea is mass weight reduction but I want to keep a natrual wood look...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

3m spray adhesive will attach to about anything.
    had you thought of using a foam board core between 2 pieces of 1/4” paneling. It gets really strong as a laminated ply, and is much lighter than 3/4” birch plywood.

Comment

Working...