• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Glueing Veneer

There was an old thread about using standard white glue, thinned down, to make a heat activated glue. If memory serves me right, which is not a given, the OP used Elmer's glue. I'm hoping someone remembers some details, like how thin to make it and which glues will and won't work. My go to glue for most projects is Titebond II, if that will work.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

I could EASILY be wrong, but I seem to recall someone in one of the RV custom / repair forums using Titebond II thinned at a 50/50 ratio for that purpose. I could be mistaking that for the recipe for using TB2 for Poor Mans Fiberglass though...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

Google says Titebond 2 for veneers and clamp

Comment

• d_meister
        Established Member
        • Feb 2009
        • La Conner, WA.
        • BT3000

I glued Formica on to a substrate, both sides, with Titebond III straight. I did vacuum bag it, though, which pulls out the excess and clamps more evenly. Thinning it should provide more open time.

Comment

• Pappy
          The Full Monte
          • Dec 2002
          • San Marcos, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 (x2)

I found a few articles on the subject. The first 2 use yellow PVA glue and the last one uses Elmer's Glue All. None of them said anything about thinning the glue. On the last one, the part about the iron on veneer process starts at about the 9:00 minute mark.

A household iron re-activates Titebond glue for a goof-proof—and beautiful—woodworking veneer job

Iron On Veneer / PVA Glue Method (oakwoodveneer.com)

How to Make Iron-on Veneer - YouTube
          Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
          Fools because they have to say something.
          Plato

Comment

Working...