First full on camper Woodworking project, planning and will tackle it shortly...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

First full on camper Woodworking project, planning and will tackle it shortly...

So here's the deal. The MDF cabinet that houses the toilet, and holds up the fridge is, well MDF that has been exposed to refrigerator condensate for 30 years and needs to be replaced, not to mention the new fridge requires vertical sides to screw the fridge to...

Also the penthouse top (pop up roof) houses a bed I will not need as I have no kids or grandkids to house on camping trips...

So here goes the first 2 camper woodworking projects.

Project 1 is super simple and light. The existing penthouse bed is 3 cushioned panels with a 4" foam cushion upholstered onto a 3/4" plywood base. I will replicate the base of one of them, using red cedar thicknessed to 5/8" to act as an upper storage shelf to house my solar panels and kick stands in transit. I do not want permanent mount panels. This way I can park the camper in the shade, but position my solar panels in direct sunlinght...

Project 2 is more detailed and requires I get up off my padded parts and finish cleaning up the shop. My Fridge mount is just a box that encloses the port o potty the original fridge screwed to from below. The new cabinet will be a full height cabinet that will enclose the port o potty and related storage, TP, Chem packs etc... and a nice Poplar / Pine beadboard door, then the shelf, fridge mount area, frameless preferrably. This will fully cover the little window so I figure remove the day / night shade and valance... . Anyway fridge install area, with room for fridge to breathe, and then a single segmented spice and cooking oils drawer.

The box design is super simple, angles are easy enough to map out, and with the valance gone, routing the wiring for the fridge is a miniscule issue. And I can block off a window that just doesn't make sense...

I literally need to be started on this within the next 2 weeks... REALLY need to hunt down some Poplar NOW...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Windows are way over rated! I’ve had 2 full sized GMC & Chevy full window vans, and put lots of miles on each. Later I used a Chevy work van with no windows. For road use I could tell little difference without windows. For city use the windows are not much use either. I did miss not being able to see out the back though! Good mirrors are a must, and maybe full time rear view and side view cameras. Is the fridge electric or propane?

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

The sliding door window I decided I do NOT want to have covered while driving, but the passengers side back windows are useless for visibility while driving. The back windows are, eh... semi useful but not really... I need a grease pencil to make the windshield and set up the rear view mirror. Prior owner had reattached it using SuperGlue instead of the proper mirror adhesive... SMH...

Minor fixes for the cabinets are in progress, sort of... Looking for prefab pine beadboard as it is no longer where I am not finding at Home Depot any more... Sigh...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

So fridge is installed but not wired in (yet). The solution was quick and dirty and just a hold off until I redesign / redo the cabinet entirely. I found stainless bimini top strap anchors and stupid large fender washers to back the holes up, and just ratchet straped the fridge down... Fast, effective, and ugly. I think I am going to go with moving the fridge to the cabinet by the door instead anyway so this is just a temp rig...

I went ahead and got the electrical control panels and traced out a panel cutout layout for the control box.

Trying to get a hold of my mechanic to see when the van will be ready for pickup. I need some measurements on the cabinets to be able to get this all done, but the idea will be a simple plywood box enclosure with a removeable face, and L brackets to hold it to the cabinet... I do NOT want to go IN to the cabinet as it is the closet and the electrical control would interfere with my sock storage...

Comment

Working...