• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

How best to do this...

So as folks that have followed my threads know. I fully intend on redoing my van interior cabinets with actual wood instead of compressed sawdust, I mean MDF...

I am wanting something that can give me a nice, warm, natural cabin in the woods feel since, well that is kind of what it will be...

I will be using the original cabinet pieces, that are simply screwed together with L brackets pretty much everywhere, as templates, and using real honest to goodness joinery instead of bracketry and wood screws....

But for example, the cabinet doors for the toilet enclosure, pantry, and closet. I am considering making them the same size as original, but doing a 3/4" thick frame with beadboard insert panels. Just wondering how to do the design.

Idea #1. Rabbet the back of the frames, and simply inset them, with glue and diagonally driven pins.
    Idea #2. Slot the frames, and insert the beadboard panels into the slots, again glued, but most likely no need for pins.

I know probably a stupid thing to ponder, but that is how my brain works...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Research that I have done pertaining to motorhome/camper and houseboat interiors, everyone that has given a review of what they liked and what they wished that they had done differently was building the cabinets and furniture too heavy. Instead of using 3/4” panels go with 1/2”. If 1/2” works go with 1/4”. On my motorhome remodel I found some 1/2” plywood that had some kind of foam core that made it compare in weight with 1/4” plywood. It’s not going to be your forever home, just a camper.

Comment

• dbhost

dbhost
      commented
      Editing a comment
      My intent is for stashing up leave time, and then taking off a month, driving the van from TX, through the mountains out west to visit family taking my good old sweet time. And I am a fat dude... So durability is key, BUT... 3/4: all the way through is just dumb... Which is why I was thinking 3/4" raisl and stiles with 3/16" / 1/4" whatever the thickness is pine beadboard (going for that look). I have seen that foam core stuff used in boats. A friend built a flat bottom jon boat of of the stuff. 2 guys can easily toss that boat on top of his truck camper and barely notice it is there. It's lighter than my canoe!

• capncarl
      capncarl commented
      Editing a comment
      3/4 was just an example, not for the whole build. For a temporary month long trip I suggest NOT throwing a lot of time on the existing cabinets while knowing that you will spent this amount of time again building new cabinets.
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Okay I am on to the where to source it from...

Looks like the big box stores no longer carry raw knotty pine beadboard. I will have to check with Sutherlands to see what they have, but I am definately wanting beadboard, and while I can jig it up and DIY beadboard out of ply, I would rather not...

Can anyone suggest a source for the stuff between Galveston and Dallas south to north, and as far west as San Antonio?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...