• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Non shop projects...

So now that the shop is more or less cleaned up and usable, I have some projects I need to get after that are not shop projects, finally!

#1. Finish the drywall work in the master bathroom. VERY close to done. I want to paint at least the lower portion of the wall before I install the trim, mostly to protect it.
    #2. Install the already prepped trim for the master bathroom.
    #3. Rebuild master bath toilet. Finish stirpping the wallpaper behind the toilet. Replace the trim behind the toilet as it is getting nasty. And it is possible I may need to replace the flange for this. Yuck.
    #4. Size up, make paint and install full length shelf supports and shelves for master vanity linen closet. Bullnose shelves paint, and apply shelf liner my wife wants.
    #5. Install LED lighting in linen closet on door pin switch. Open door, light comes on. Close door light goes off.
    #6.Make some repairs to our master bed frame. There was a manufacturing flaw that is just driving me nuts. Gonna fix that.
    #7. Finish stripping carpet, tack strip out of master bedroom. Fill divots the tack strip left.
    #8. Apply underlayment, and install flooring in master Bedroom.
    #9. Install new ceiling fan and smart controller to master bedroom.
    #10. Install new ceiling fan and smart controller to changing room / master vanity.
    #11. Source up air bladders for our air adjustable mattress. We have an old Sealy Right Touch that they no longer market under the Sealy name. I found the MFG they actually used for their parts and can order a king size bladder for less than $500.00 vs something like $6,500 for a comparable Select Comfort...
    #12. Build and install a floating console tray / shelf that will hold my PS4, controllers, headesets etc... My wife and I like to game together sometimes. Oh and to house the center speaker for the 5.1
    #13. Skip this one as I know people freak out due to triscadecaphobia. Not my issue but I don't want people having the heebie jeebies on my account.
    #14. Build a wedding stuff keepsake display / shadow box.

Time to get busy. I listed it out as a bunch of small pieces so I can grab onto it one bite at a time as it were.

I have more coming, a LOT more, but this is what I can handle for a while at least...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

I have some serious garden work to do before spring! The garden is 5 rows on 8 foot centers each 35 foot long. 8 foot center is a wide spacing but I wanted to be able to roll a wagon or barrels on a hand truck down each aisle when the garden is full grown…. And it looks good. Each row is a semi-raised bed, being a 8” high box that has all the earth dug out another 12” and is filled with mushroom compost. This compost will grow anything! I believe that if you stuck a 10 penny nail in it, at the end of the season it would come out as a railroad spike. every year I haul in a couple of scoops of compost to replenish the garden, and I believe that last year the compost I hauled in was contaminated with nematodes. The entire reason of the raised garden concept is to control nematodes. For those that don’t understand nematodes you need or google it, as they are the most common plant….. and animal parasite and will reduce a gardens output by 50 to 75 percent. Needles to say I’m thoroughly pissed at the supplier that I buy this compost from. Of course he denies all responsibility. Somehow he had mixed swamp mud into his compost pile and contaminated it all. That means that I must put up with dying plants and poor harvests or dig out all the contaminated compost and replace it with clean. If I am to go to this much trouble I will rethink the garden and go completely container gardening. Today I went to an used appliance junk store and priced clothes dryer drums, My father used old style washing machine drums for many years in growing camellias….. and I laughed at him then. I didn’t understand. Now I do, sorry dad!
    A small loss of garden production normally wouldn’t be a big deal for a home garden except in South Georgia we have every dang bug that eats anything taking their toll, the heat limits a lot of the growing season and birds, squirrels and rabbits will ruin the rest. Added to the cost of daily watering, buying “organic” pesticides and weed controls, I could probably buy 3 times as many vegetables than I harvest with my investment cost! But my wife and I do enjoy the garden, she makes all kinds of pretties to hang up and feed the birds and we spend countless hours setting under he gazebo enjoying them sights and smells. Good therapy.

Photo of April 2020 garden

Click image for larger version

Name:	496A03F7-B80C-4A5B-90E6-10FB53B0B041.jpeg
Views:	51
Size:	382.6 KB
ID:	848084

Comment

Working...