• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Flip top stand #2, started.

Well, for NOW, I am going to keep the jointer and planer on one, and the sander and scroll saw on the second,

I have 2 of the 28" side rails cut, and ended up running out of 2x4 stock. Time to run to home depot. First things first. Inventory what I have.

#1. I have more than enough 3/4" plywood.
    #2. I have enough 2x4s for 2 of the 28" side pieces, which means I only need 2 more 2x4s.
    #3. I have the casters.
    #4. I have what might be BARELY enough paint to paint this one last one, as long as I don't paint the pegboard.
    #5. I have the pegboard,
    #6. I have the pegboard baskets.
    #7. I have more than enough 1/2" Schedule 40 PVC.
    #8. 1/2" washers aplenty.

So what do I need to finish this build?

2 clean, straight 2x4s in southern yellow pine.
    1 24" 1/2-13 all thread.
    4 1/2-13 nuts.
    3/8" oak dowel stock, 2pc 36 inches. I am going to do glue and dowel joinery instead of glue and screws for this one.

So at least getting things started. Set up stops at 28", cut my first two side pieces. Boy do I need to add an extended fence with flip stops!

Sized up 3/4" ply base at 21.25" x 24".It should be noted, the sander accessories will live only on one side panel, so I only need one...

I need to do a Home Depot run tomorrow for 2x4s, and then get after it.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • Jim Frye
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Maumee, OH, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3000 & BT3100

Hey, while you're at HD, could you pick me up a humidifier? The one by me is out of them.
    Jim Frye
    The Nut in the Cellar.
    ”Sawdust Is Man Glitter”

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Got after it today. Gave the BT3100 a workout cutting the half laps. Trying to free up the pvc from its dungeon etc...

I've got the shop crapped up again. Need to clean and finish the 5 inch duct install. Home Depot for some bizarre reason shipped FedEx. When it absolutely positively has to get there eh... whenever.

i hate seeing fedex listed as the carrier.

Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

No pic, but I wanted to have something in glue drying before I went to bed, so the first side is glued up.

Getting ready to cut the rabbet on the indside edge when I realized, where the heck is my rabbeting bit?

I bet it's in the box of table saw / router accessories under the router table. Need to dig for it, but not going to happen tonight. Really need some sleep.

Tomorrow will end up with a glue up of side #2, then I pick which one will get the rabbet as only one side is going to get the panel. Once the rabbet is cut, I can line up, and drill for the dowels for the angle braces. Not doing screws on this one. So doing dowels instead.

Looking forward to getting this one done as well, mostly because, well, that will free up the shelf standards, and I can store OTHER stuff up on the wall...

It should be noted the clamp cart is now nestled right where the stacker is / was, and it makes way more sense there. Just got to finish getting the floor DC run gone and I will have more than enough space to park the second flip top stand. HOWEVER, This puts the sharpening station up against the overhead / shop door. Since I am right handed, this actually works out. Simply rotate to my right ot sharpen / hone. Or not. Not sure this will work out this way as I had hoped

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Found the box with the rabbeting bit. I am going BARELY cutting,deep but going 1/2" wide so I have a good long glue surface, but literally going only 3/16" deep, basically took a scrap of tempered hardboard that is the same thickness as the pegboard, and used it to set the depth, so the router is set, the side is in glue and clamps waiting to dry.

Started sweeping up the sawdust from yesterdays work, pulled the remaining piece of pipe from the cross floor connection and tested the fit for overhead, it is either perfect, or as danged near close as possible. The idea is come out of the branch wye, reduce, elbow down, connect. Not the cleanest install method, but I can't make a clean turn prior without it...

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Latest pics of the progress.

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Clamp time finished. Rabbet routed in, corners squared with my chisels...

Comment

• LCHIEN
                LCHIEN commented
                Editing a comment
                Treat yourself to a corner chisel.

• dbhost

dbhost
                commented
                Editing a comment
                The throught was there, but honestly. I enjoyed squaring it up with the regular chisel. I keep teetering back and forth about a square / corner chisel and just can't bring myself to buy one. Hard to explain but like I said, I actually LIKE cleaning up corners with a regular chisel. I know I am wierd...
                Last edited by dbhost; 02-07-2022, 08:35 AM. Reason: Expanding the idea since it seemed a bit, lacking...
            • dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Peg board cut and installed into the rabbet. Can't quite reach the joint with my clamps so I laid down a trash bag over it and just loaded it up with a bunch of, well, shop junk. Cutoffs, tools that need to be put up etc... Anything with weight to apply to the joint. Hoping it takes because if not, I need to rig up some cauls to get clamping pressure there...

I'm not sure why, but the BT3100 has been beyond awesome lately. Cuts are super clean, fence is glding nicely as long as I keep the track clean etc...

Comment

Working...