• Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Getting ready for Christmas

Photo of 4 Black Walnut Tiny Tables that I am in the process of building. They are all just pressed together, all joinery is dominos. These are the first tables that I have used my Festool Domino for. Now I will break them down and shape, sand, re-assemble and wax finish. One table is ordered by a customer of one of my other tables, she wants a dark wood. The others are for stock in a gallery in Apalachicola and maybe a Christmas present If I have to. Size is 21” long x 10 1/2 wide x 25” tall.
    capncarl Click image for larger version

Name:	4FEAEFF0-8547-4B6A-A22F-365210324B12.jpeg
Views:	341
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	837807
    Attached Files
    Last edited by capncarl; 12-11-2019, 10:50 PM.
  • Slik Geek
    • Dec 2006
    • Lake County, Illinois
    • Ryobi BT-3000

Nice. Was there a few complex angles? How did those work out?

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

Every piece has several angles in it. The top slab has an 7 degree undercut bottom edge bevel. The legs are splayed 4 degrees out and 4 degrees forward and have a 6 degree taper on the 2 insides. The 2 horizontal shelf rails follow the inside edge of the leg so it has a 4 degree angle plus has a 6 degree angle on the intersecting cuts at legs. Each shelf rung has a 4 degree cut to intersect with the shelf rail. I have built several dozens of this particular table with the same angles and simular dimensions using mortise and tenon / dado / hidden screw method. Getting all of the connections presentable was very difficult and frustrating...... but every table eventually turned out beautiful and sold quickly. To say the least it was quite a challenge trying to adapt my existing fractional dimensions and compound angles to the metric functions of the Festool Domino 500. I did spend over 8 hours setting up test samples of each connection using the Domino.... and taking pages of notes. I am proud to have a assembled table that is standing on its own legs without any clamps. My previous builds used every clamp in my shop. I don’t think there is a connection that you can insert a piece of paper in. When I decided to change methods of joinery I was afraid it would cheapen the look of my tables, now I am afraid they will look more precision and “factory built”. After many hours of sanding we will see what it looks like.
      capncarl

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

Just finished table #1. Probably over 12 hours in sanding alone! I’m really pleased that all the joints are tight, don’t think you could slip in a piece of paper in any joint. 1 down 3 more to go.

Click image for larger version

Name:	09D2BB9F-D679-4AEB-86E5-43B0E9E6CD60.jpeg
Views:	377
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	837866 7

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

@#$&*

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Nice...
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...