• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Arizona Ash

Anyone ever work with Arizona Ash? I had a large tree go down and some of the branches are close to 12" in diameter. A lot around 8". Just don't know if it's worth the effort to save it.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

always heard it was junk as a tree - fast growing, short life span, not slow growing and real long lived like oaks.

Not sure I know anything about its lumber properties.
    Look on GOogle.

"It just doesn't get any respect. In fact, the most popular use for ash lumber commercially is to impersonate oak, a task that ash does quite well. ... Ash is a popular and durable wood for furniture projects, and it takes stains and other finishing products well.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

I don’t see much Arizona Ash here in Georgia, but I understand it is considered junk wood only suitable for furniture. Kinda like our Chinaberry here, junk wood that is only good for furniture. I feel like the people that rate wood must be dominant figures in one of the more vocal political parties (bug eaters) and only see the value of wood for its structural value. Chinaberry is my favorite wood and is in the mahogany family and makes wonderful furniture. The google search pictured ash to be simular to chinaberry. If it was mine I would tru to salvage all I could for future projects. Don’t forget to cut some blanks for bowls and some 4x and 5x for making Tiny Mushrooms!
      capncarl

Comment

Working...