X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bmuir1616
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2008

18 inch x 57 inch table top

I only have 24 inch long oak boards to build this table top. Can I assemble this top with several 18-inch boards to make up the 57 inch length?
    Thanks, Bill
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Like this?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0735.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	830795

Comment

• bmuir1616
      bmuir1616 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yes! That will work. Never thought of that. Thanks.
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

My favorite way of gluing up table tops is with 3-4" wide boards. Wide boards like your 18"'are prone to cup and turn your table into a feeding trough!

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by bmuir1616
      I only have 24 inch long oak boards to build this table top. Can I assemble this top with several 18-inch boards to make up the 57 inch length?
      Thanks, Bill
      Apprently some confusion in he wording.
      Do you mean 18 inch long pieces patched together to make 57" long or do you mean 18" wide boards?

I think you mean like Capncarl's photo, that should work. with modestly wide board pieces.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• bmuir1616
        bmuir1616 commented
        Editing a comment
        The boards are 6 inches wide and can be ripped to any width. I want to glue 18" long boards into a total length of 57". Con you do it this way?
    • cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Several years ago I came across some maple flooring that had dumped on a nearby road where I used to live. I stopped my van, loaded it into the back and found it useful for a couple of non-floor projects. One of which was to make two panels about 72" long; one is 9-1/4" wide and the other 11" wide. They were T&G, typical floor strips and using Titebond II, they glued up just fine with the use of a some pipe clamps. I've been using these for at least 15 years now and they've stayed together for all kinds of projects.

Whenever I need a quick bench, I just spread them across a couple of folding saw horses. I can knock them together with a mallet if I need a 72 x 20 solid top, but I mostly use them split. That way they make for a wider table with a split down the middle.... good for ripping a panel length-wise with my circular saw. I also use them as a quick and easy carry loading ramp and they're short enough and narrow enough to easily stick to the side one the machine is loaded.

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...