Woodworking plans for this desk - where to get it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • partialresponse
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2003
    • Morgan Hill, CA, USA.
    • Ryobi BT 3000

Woodworking plans for this desk - where to get it?

I'd like to build this desk but I can't find the source of the original plan.

Does anyone know where I can find it? Of course, I'm willing to pay for it. There's a dubious website Tedswoodworking.com where I saw this but I don't trust a website where you can get 16000 plans for $63 ...

Thanks
    Kofi
    Last edited by partialresponse; 01-06-2017, 02:18 AM.
  • partialresponse
    Forum Newbie
    • Dec 2003
    • Morgan Hill, CA, USA.
    • Ryobi BT 3000

I'd like to build this desk but I can't find the source of the original plan.

Does anyone know where I can find it? Of course, I'm willing to pay for it. There's a dubious website Tedswoodworking.com where I saw this but I don't trust a website where you can get 16000 plans for $63 ...

Thanks
    Kofi

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

I don't think you'll find plans for this specific desk. I did a Google image search of your pic and found this:

You might want to look for "Greene and Greene desk plans" or "Craftsman style desk plan" or even just "desk plans". There isn't much difference in the way most desks are constructed. You could take something pretty generic with 2 cabinets on each side joined by a bridge unit and top, and incorporate the style elements you want.

Paul

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

That looks like something I've seen in ShopNotes of Wood online in their past issues. Can't remember where though, I was researching for dimensions for a country sideboard, last year.

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

Google woodworking plans scam sites and you will get all the info on the 16000 plans site you mentioned. It's good you avoided it.
          I see your exact picture is also in pinterest with not viable link to access the plans. I'd decide on the footprint of the desk and reverse engineer it around the drawers.

Comment

• trungdok
            Established Member
            • Oct 2012
            • MA

I remember there was a time Ted's Woodworking was being advertised everywhere. Lots of the Youtube woodworkers warned people that it's just a big collection of freely available plans, some were even scans from magazines or books, etc.. Essentially, it's a big rip off and fraudulent site.

I don't have a real answer to where. But, a desk like that usually have very common setup. You could just probably create your own plan based on similar desks and make it to the exact dimensions you want.

Comment

• trungdok
              Established Member
              • Oct 2012
              • MA

I did an image search from google (images.google.com) and it yields some interesting results. I'm at work and didn't trust clicking on some so I'll leave it to you.

Comment

• partialresponse
                Forum Newbie
                • Dec 2003
                • Morgan Hill, CA, USA.
                • Ryobi BT 3000

Thanks, both. I have the plans for this desk from Woodsmith. I'll see about incorporating elements of that desk into it.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

I took the liberty of merging two identical/ near simultaneous posts and all the responses into one post.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• partialresponse
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Dec 2003
                    • Morgan Hill, CA, USA.
                    • Ryobi BT 3000

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                    I took the liberty of merging two identical/ near simultaneous posts and all the responses into one post.
                    Thanks. I tried to delete the duplicate before it received any responses but that didn't work.

Comment

• tfischer
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2003
                      • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                      • BT3100

Ted's is the biggest scam/scandal in woodworking. There is no "Ted" (his picture is a stock image). His "headquarters" in Iowa was discovered to be a vacant lot in a tiny town. You don't get anywhere near the amount of plans for they advertise, and most of them are incomplete or low quality, while the rest are copyrighted by other entities and the scammer does NOT have the rights to distribute them.

Since much of "Ted's" business appears to be from affiliate promotions, you'll find a lot of sites trying to sell them still.

Comment

Working...