• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Big Green Egg cart build

I've been wanting to build a table for my BGE for over a year. My BGE sits in a nest, but it's always inconvenient to find a spot for the stuff I'm grilling or for grilling accessories.

I didn't want to buy more wood for this. I've had some white oak boards I bought freshly cut over 8 years ago and have been waiting for a project. I also have a bunch of ipe deck boards I bought from the Habitat Restore.

The table frame and bottom shelf will be white oak and the top will be ipe.

The two boards that make each leg are joined at a right angle and held together with 3 dominoes for alignment and Titebond 2 glue.

The stretchers and aprons for each shelf are held together with dominoes. I really like the Domino. I did mess up on the Domino placement on the top aprons. I'm going to fill them with half dominoes.

I attached the shelf frame to the legs with 4 1/4" carriage bolts at each corner. After all this time, I figure the wood is free. The nuts, bolts, and washers are the most expensive things on here. I drilled 1/4" holes for the bolts and then chased it with a 9/32" bit 1/4" deep to accept the square base underneath the lag bolt head.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2016-10-01 20.53.52.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	827721
    Last edited by atgcpaul; 10-02-2016, 09:28 AM.
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Looking good. Are you going to put it on wheels?
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Yes, I'm going to drill 5/8" holes in the legs on the Egg end of the table, run a metal rod through, and slide on 2 wheels. It will get moved around like a wheelbarrow.

Got the first coat of spar urethane on the frame this morning.

Comment

• poolhound
        Veteran Member
        • Mar 2006
        • Phoenix, AZ
        • BT3100

Are there going to be wheels on one or both ends? The Ipe top will be great especially for outdoors. I still have to get a BGE or similar. I have dropped hints to the family but think I may need to wait for a birthday with a zero in it but there is still 4 years to wait for that :-(
        Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
        techzibits.com

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

No. Wheels just one on side and then move it around like a wheelbarrow. I'm going to use some plastic furniture feet or find some UHMW to put under the legs on the opposite side. Maybe I'll sacrifice one of our IKEA cutting boards. I thought about just using lag bolts under the side but I don't want to scratch up the patio.

I think if I was shopping for a komado style grill these days, I probably wouldn't buy the BGE but something cheaper and with more accessories like the Komado Joe. I had a medium BGE which I only bought for $75 on CL, used it for a couple years, and resold that for a profit on CL to buy my used large BGE which was also a good deal. If not for that first BGE purchase, I'd probably still only have my gasser. This year at Costco, they were selling a komado grill--don't remember the brand. The last one was marked down to $500 or something. It was bigger than mine and had a bunch of accessories. I almost convinced myself and my wife that I would upgrade and sell the BGE, but I didn't get around to it.

Comment

• poolhound
            Veteran Member
            • Mar 2006
            • Phoenix, AZ
            • BT3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
            This year at Costco, they were selling a komado grill--don't remember the brand. The last one was marked down to $500 or something. It was bigger than mine and had a bunch of accessories. I almost convinced myself and my wife that I would upgrade and sell the BGE, but I didn't get around to it.
            I have seen that Costco one the last few years and it looks like a good buy.

Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
            techzibits.com

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

I sold my mini BGE and purchased a mini-max BGE earlier this year to companion with my large BGE. I think that for 2 people the mini-max is a good size and we use now use it 4 to 1 over the large. I think the Mini-max is a great starter grill to find out if komado style grill is for you. Resale is great and it uses lots less fuel than a large. I also like using the mini-max with a wok for stir fry and frying, I can't do that with the large BGE.
              capncarl

Comment

• lombard
                Forum Newbie
                • Feb 2004
                • Merritt Island, FL

I love my large BGE. Built a table out of cedar for it a while back. Inspired by plans at the naked whiz website. Finished it with Penofin. It's weathered the elements beautifully, but the top has taken on quite a few stains from food, etc since I didn't actually seal it with anything.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by lombard
                  I love my large BGE. Built a table out of cedar for it a while back. Inspired by plans at the naked whiz website. Finished it with Penofin. It's weathered the elements beautifully, but the top has taken on quite a few stains from food, etc since I didn't actually seal it with anything.
                  That looks nice. I don't have the little stand so I'm going to put mine on a 16" concrete paver.

Do you remember what the bracing looks like around your BGE? I'm concerned about the unsupported ends being floppy.

This is what the Whiz did--two rows of bracing. Did you do anything special?

Ceramic charcoal cooking, barbecue, recipes, charcoal reviews and more!

Comment

• lombard
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Merritt Island, FL

Originally posted by atgcpaul

That looks nice. I don't have the little stand so I'm going to put mine on a 16" concrete paver.

Do you remember what the bracing looks like around your BGE? I'm concerned about the unsupported ends being floppy.

This is what the Whiz did--two rows of bracing. Did you do anything special?

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/showphot.ht...ble/cart58.jpg
                    Fairly similar to the whiz. I didn't want any screws visible from the top, so I drilled up from the bottom supports and screwed the top down. Couldn't get there at the outside corners, so I can lift them a bit, but no other issues.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Maryland
                      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Not that much progress. Applying finish always feels that way.

The whole table frame is finished with spar urethane and the bolts installed. However, as I was laying out the boards for the lower shelf, I didn't want to notch the boards around the legs and leave a chunk of wood missing at the outside corner. Instead, I decided to slip the board over the legs as you can see in this pic. They're glossy because I just wiped on some finish. From this distance the cutouts look OK. Get closer and it's embarrassing. I need practice with my jigsaw.

Name:	top.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	827803

I also drilled for the axle and mounted the wheels. I didn't want the wheels rubbing against the frame and I didn't want to run out and buy big washers so I used some scrap polycarbonate as a spacer. The screw collar also slips into the wheel's hub--which I didn't want--so I also made an outside hub with the polycarbonate.

Name:	wheels.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	827806

A few more coats of finish on the bottom shelf and it can be installed...after I take off the top frame.

So today I turned my attention to the ipe top. Since these were salvaged deck boards, there were some snapped off stainless screws I had to deal with. Fortunately, of the 4 boards I've got, only 1 has screws still in it. However, they were all screwed in at an angle at the edge of the boards, the square drive heads were stripped, and the broken piece of screw on the underside of the board had been hammered flat to the board--I'm guessing making it safer to transport.

I managed to pound out or twist out most of the screws. There's still one more buried in there.

Name:	scrap.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	827804

But I've got at least 1 more stubborn one on the edge to deal with. I need to pound it out a little more so the vice grips can get a little more purchase. I want to clean up the edges so I can get one clean rip on my TS. I don't want to hit one with my blade. Unfortunately, my HF metal detector isn't picking up the stainless screws. I'm going to make ipe plugs and then plug what holes I can.

Name:	scars.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	827805

Paul

Comment

• atgcpaul
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2003
                        • Maryland
                        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Waste not, want not.

I think when most of us need to cut a hole in a top we've made, we lay out the boards covering the whole top, draw the circle to cut out, and then cut it out. I have a 21" diameter hole to cut out so that's almost 2.5 sqft of wood that will essentially be wasted. Not only that, but if you look at the picture below, I'd be left with a bunch of random length offcuts without really a purpose. My boards were also fairly random width and I didn't like that there wasn't symmetry in the boards.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	20161014_160405.jpg Views:	1 Size:	47.9 KB ID:	827819

I'm always looking to save where I can and it's not like I'm getting any more ipe any time soon. A lightbulb went off as I was drawing the circle on the boards with my compass. If I precut the boards where the circle overlapped the boards, I'd have enough leftover to re-use it. After some measuring, some more measuring, and even more measuring, I was ready to cut.

Name:	image_23029.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	827820

With all the pieces cut now, I was able to save 2 whole boards at their full length for another project.
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	20161014_164738.jpg Views:	1 Size:	36.1 KB ID:	827821

Now I've got to make some ipe plugs to plug the screw holes.
                        Last edited by atgcpaul; 10-14-2016, 05:40 PM.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                          Veteran Member
                          • Aug 2003
                          • Maryland
                          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Haven't had much free time to work on this cart but I managed to squeeze some time in today.

After I laid out the top boards, I ran them through my drum sander. The boards cleaned up very nicely.

Name:	20161016_080502.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	827989

I cut out the hole with my jisaw then rigged up a router with a spiral carbide bit to cut out a clean hole...at least that was the idea.

Name:	20161029_164249.jpg
Views:	479
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	827990

I lowered the bit ~1/8" at a time. The first pass was fine. Then on my second pass, I'm fuzzy on the timing, but my wife exited the house to walk the dogs and the router went for a ride. The bit caught and yanked the router out of my hands. By the time I caught the router again--it's amazing how many thoughts went through my head in that split second like "oh, crap", "I hope it doesn't land on me", "where's the power switch", "oh, man, you were running in the wrong direction--it had traveled almost 360deg. As I mentioned, I got confused on which way to run the router and I was climb cutting for those 2 passes. It torqued my left wrist and tore out some wood which had me POed.

Anyway, I think I sanded away most of the problem areas and now I'm on to finishing. The ipe looks brand new after one coat of spar urethane.

Name:	20161029_182733.jpg
Views:	390
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	827991

Comment

• capncarl
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007
                            • Leesburg Georgia USA
                            • SawStop CTS

It looks to pretty to use. Don't worry about the boo-boo's, after a little use the whole thing will have a nice charcoal dust and bar-b-q patina and you can't see them!

Comment

Working...