• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Axle suggestions for BBQ cart needed

I'm making a table for my Big Green Egg and will have wheels on one end so I can pick up the other end (like a wheelbarrow) and move it around my patio, if needed.

The wheels I bought will accept a 5/8" axle. The 5/8" rod at HD was too big. I have a 1/2" PVC pipe that fits perfectly. I was thinking of using the PVC as a sleeve for a metal rod inside. My concern is that the PVC will get crushed over time and disintegrate even if the cart is usually stationary.

I'd like your thoughts if the PVC will be sufficient. I plan on running the PVC from one leg of the table to other, slide a metal rod inside it, then slide the wheels on over the PVC (and come up with a way to capture the wheels.

Thanks
    Paul
  • LinuxRandal
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2005
    • Independence, MO, USA.
    • bt3100

While the pvc could be a bushing in the wood, I wouldn't use it in the tires. I would be more apt to see how close the axle is to the wheel, and either return it for one closer (take a micrometer) of if pretty close, put it in a drill while running emory cloth or sandpaper on the axle to shrink it down.
    Another option would depend on the wheel (plastic, metal, ball bearing, how big is the hub), as you could use a drum sander on a dremel to expand their opening.
    She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

Something is wrong if a 5/8 rod won't fit in a 5/8 wheel. The rod must be deformed a bit. Put a caliper to it and see. You can true it up a bit with a file and emery cloth. No more that you will be moving it around it won't matter if the shaft is a bit small. Some of the egg cart tables plans online call for threaded rod, which isn't a good bearing surface at ll, but it works for this purpose. You can drill a 5/8 hole in the table leg for the rod and not need a bushing. You aren't using inflatable tires are you? I've seen a number of egg carts that have flat tires and the cart set down on the ground and can't be moved. If left flat for any length of time the crack and won't inflate. Use never flat or sold tires for egg carts. One of my egg friends borrowed the wheels off his hand truck for his cart until he got it where he wanted it, then took them off and put them back on the hand truck. If he ever needs to move it he will just put the wheels back on.

Comment

• d_meister
        Established Member
        • Feb 2009
        • La Conner, WA.
        • BT3000

What kind of wheels? Are they solid lawnwower types or wheels with tires and bearings? I made a dock cart with $4.99 Harbor Freight pneumatic tires with bearings and used Home Depot ⅝" black iron rod. I had to chamfer the ends a little with a file to clean up my hacksaw work and the original deformation from when they cut it with a shear, but the rod fit OK. Maybe the Cadmium plated stuff is above spec?

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

I bought the solid wheels from HF. It's mostly a plastic wheel with a metal hub according to the specs--supposed to be able to support 1100lbs. The PVC pipe measures at 5/8" so the hub is at least that. Yeah, I guess the HD rod could be out of round. Don't know why I didn't think to grind/sand the rod down a little to fit. I'll do that. I guess I will drill a hole in the rod ends and keep the wheels on with a cotter pin.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Here was my BGE project a few years back.
            http://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/dis...t=big+green+eg

It had 4x4 legs. I just put a long 3/8" hex head bolt through the leg and the wheel. At least I think it was 3/8"
            If you look you can probably get some metal sleeves or bushings 5/8" OD and 3/8" ID and cut them to length (just a bit longer than the hub of the wheel is wide.
            Or use a 1/2" bolt and 5/8 x 1/2 bushing. Or just use a 5/8" bolt and some Nylock nuts.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

atgcpaul, do you plan on moving the egg cart in/out of the weather? I keep my eggs, 1 on the original nest, 1 on a ss wire cart, on the patio under the covered part and roll them out to use. I have friends that have large steel smokers that use them less and less because they are out in yard, it's too hot, it's too cold, it's too dark......... I don't want to get in that rut so I haven't built a large heavy cart that would have to be wrestled in and out.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

Nope, I use the egg year round. Noone keeps baby in the corner. I've had cooks going in a snowstorm. I also added a grill light in case i need to check on it at night. The legs and bottom shelf are white oak and the top is ipe. I'm not going to cover it, but I'm thinking about adding an umbrella to make it a little more hospitable from the sun or rain/snow.

I have a paver patio and don't like rolling the egg around in the egg stand. I'm always worried one of the wheels will catch and then fall over.

The table will probably find a spot next to the gasser and only get moved for cleaning the patio.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

I'm going to have to chalk this up to too many smoke fumes. I couldn't find a 5/8" bar at HD this morning that DIDN'T fit the hub of my wheel this morning. Anyway, that part is done. I'm also going to get some 5/8" screw collars to keep the wheels on. Dang! I just remembered that I was supposed to buy some washers, too.

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

Glad to be able to help with the axle. What were you smoking?
                    If its raining I just roll the egg away from its spot against the wall and lighter up and do the cook under the shelter. The smoke doesn't appear to have effected the white metal roof like I feared it would.
                    Do you need some peach wood for smoking? I have a decent supply.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Maryland
                      • Grizzly 1023SLX

There's no cover on my patio. If it's really raining, I'll open up the big umbrella in the patio table and get the egg as close as possible to it. I'm definitely considering adding an umbrella to my egg table, but attached to the back or the far side so I don't lose counter space. I'll have to remember to keep it closed when not in use so it doesn't act like a sail and blow the table over. It always seems to rain on the weekends.

Where does peach rate in comparison to hickory, cherry, and red oak? Those are the only ones I've used. Do you mainly use it for pork and chicken? I really liked the red oak the last time I did a brisket. I have flowering cherry trees in my front yard that I'm always trimming. I'd imagine it can't be that different than the black cherry scraps I've used.

Comment

• capncarl
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Leesburg Georgia USA
                        • SawStop CTS

Peach is definitely different from black cherry. It is real mild. I've used it on turkey, Cornish hen, chicken and pork. It is hard to overdo peach smoke like you can sometimes with oak and hickory.

Comment

Working...