• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Low coffee table

A few weeks ago, they built a chunky coffee table on Ask This Old House that I liked. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoY8wGTst8U

I had some leftover butcherblock from my recent kitchen work that would work nicely. I also had some redwood 4x4s and 2x6s that used to be a bed frame and was also what introduced me to Rockler and subsequently woodworking 15 years ago. The top of the table is 14" high--not too tall, but tall enough for me to slide my crossed legs under the apron comfortably to use as a game table with the family.

I had the day off work and the kids were at daycare so I had all day to myself. I spent the morning tidying up the shop and then got to work milling up the redwood. The new jointer/planer made quick work of that. The segmented cutters also did well with the knots. My lunchbox would definitely have chewed them up roughly. It's been a long time since I worked with anything that was legitimately square. So nice. I didn't really measure to any particular size. I milled the 4x4s until everything was square--they ended up around 3 1/8" square. I made the 2x6s S4S, then ripped them to 2 1/2" wide x 1 1/4" thick.

Instead of joining the apron to the legs with pocket screws like they did in the show, I used my Domino. After careful setup, I milled all the slots and did a dry fit. Everything is nice and tight.

I notched the corners with a jigsaw like Tommy but his are definitely better than mine. I didn't need to bang the top in with a hammer like Tommy, though. The blue tape helped me orient the legs to each other so I didn't miscut the slots. The legs checked many, many years ago so I'm pretty sure they have stabilized by now. The table looks square, but it's 31" x 25.5".

I decided to leave the legs 1/8" proud of the top. Right now the long sections are glued up and in clamps. I'll glue up the whole thing before shutting it down tonight. I've got to do some roundovers or chamfers on all the sharp edges, sand, and then finish. I'm pleased with it so far.

Thanks for looking,
    Paul
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

Wham bam - coffee table! Nice.
    JR

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2007
      • Buena Park, CA
      • CM 21829

Looks great Paul - I like the solid frame, and the butcher block top makes it.
      Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• twistsol
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
        • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Wow, I love the look of that. Fantastic Job. I'm starting to feel like a slacker around here.
        Chr's

Comment

• Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

That is rather bold! I like it.
          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Stytooner
            Roll Tide RIP Lee
            • Dec 2002
            • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
            • BT3100

Now there is a coffee table you can dance on.
            Looks great. Excellent use of leftovers.
            Lee

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

Looking good, cant wait to see the finished pics. Had you considered filling those checks? Epoxy or just glue/sawdust.

Your comment about re-purposing the old redwood reminded me how its always cool to suddenly find a project that exactly matches some old stock that has been lying around the shop for years. LOML is always commenting about how I keep moving certain piles of wood from point A to point B and they never get used. I am just turning some old round table legs into tool handles. Not quite as cool as your coffee table though :-)
              Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
              techzibits.com

Comment

• leehljp
                Just me
                • Dec 2002
                • Tunica, MS
                • BT3000/3100

That looks great and simple. It sure makes me want to get out and make something! Thanks for the link also. Enjoyed watching it.
                Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• atgcpaul
                  Veteran Member
                  • Aug 2003
                  • Maryland
                  • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by poolhound
                  Looking good, cant wait to see the finished pics. Had you considered filling those checks? Epoxy or just glue/sawdust.
                  Thanks (and to all the others for the nice comments).

I was taking the clamps off last night when I noticed a loose knot that passed from one side of the apron to the other. I masked it off, mixed up some clear epoxy and filled in the voids. Then I noticed some other areas where it might be nice to mix in some epoxy because there were knots on the edge I didn't want fingers or clothes to snag on so I masked them off and filled them. But that's as far as I'm going to go. I can obsess about these things and the next thing I know it's going to be 6 months from now and I'll still be cleaning up epoxy or I will have gouged out the surrounding wood as I cleaned up the epoxy and my legs will be 2" thick rather than 3" because I will have said to myself, "I can fix this. I just need to shave a little more off this spot..."

So, yes, I had considered filling in those checks with epoxy but I'm not going to do it for my own sanity.

Originally posted by poolhound
                  Your comment about re-purposing the old redwood reminded me how its always cool to suddenly find a project that exactly matches some old stock that has been lying around the shop for years. LOML is always commenting about how I keep moving certain piles of wood from point A to point B and they never get used. I am just turning some old round table legs into tool handles. Not quite as cool as your coffee table though :-)

The sad thing for me is this redwood was in my attic. It wasn't even in my shop so I've actually added to my shop stash rather than minimize it. But I agree, making a project that requires minimal manipulation is very gratifying. Now I hope I find more inspiration because I have a lot of wood to go through.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Looks very nice and substantial.
                    Old wood makes it cool.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Two Much
                      Established Member
                      • Mar 2003
                      • Long Island, NY
                      • (two) Ryobe BT-3's

That is very nice. I love repurposing old wood. It's very gratifying to create something
                      from old wood.

Comment

Working...