• Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Hot melt glue for woodworking

Has anyone tried the new hot melt glue for woodworking? Not the everyone has that hobby hot melt that has been around for years. I just notice that titebond has a hotmelt out, pricey as it is, and see that some other mfgs have some out. Wonder how well they work?
    capncarl
  • Stytooner
    Roll Tide RIP Lee
    • Dec 2002
    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
    • BT3100

I haven't tried any of those, but I know there is a big difference between low temp hot melt sticks and high temp ones. Depending on the material, the high temp makes an almost permanent bond.
    There are many uses for hot melt in wood working especially if you do pattern routing with a template.
    The low temp stuff can also tack parts together for a dry fit in some cases when you are the only pair of hands in the shop.
    Lee

Comment

• jussi
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007

Are you talking about using them for joinery? I haven't used them for that but I have for jigs. Works great and it's removable.
      I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Our WWing instructor demonstrated the Titebond Hipurformer glue for us one night in class. This was more than 10 years ago.

His day job was professional cabinet maker--mostly kitchens. I'm not sure if the technology has advanced but the application wasn't very precise or neat and tidy--just like any other hot glue gun or caulk gun. You had to work fast since it set quickly, too. That was it's main advantage, though. The other advantages were that it reached full strength pretty quickly especially compared to PVA and offered good strength over a gap like epoxy.

He demonstrated all this at the end of the same class. He imitated a field repair he might have to make-a broken rail/stile joint. The wood broke before the joint or the glue did.

Comment

• Carpenter96
          Established Member
          • Aug 2011
          • Barrie ON Canada
          • BT 3000

I have never used it for permanent bonds but I use it all the time to attach templates for routing. When you are done just spray a little wood alcohol (Methyl Hydrate) on it and it pops right off. I first saw this done in a Corian solid surface course 17 years ago The key is to use commercial hot melt, not hobby hot melt. Sometimes you just have no way of clamping the template and this works great.

Regards Bob

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

Not the replies I was hoping for. I wanted to hear something like...... Yes I use hot melt all the time building wooden airplane wings for racing and stunts. The auto industry uses it to fasten body panels together so I figured that maybe woodworking had graduated to it as well. The titebond hot melt looked promising but the cost compares to a sawstop. The small tables that I am building utilize a floating tennon that I glue up with titebond 2 and clamp with 4-6 bar clamps. I am just trying to streamline the operation.

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Sorry, haven't used Hot Melt "wood glue". I have used Hot melt glue, a LOT for a jointing sled.

Take a look at the 3M hot melt wood adhesive. Not terribly expensive, I use it for glue ups of "scroll saw yard decorations" like the Thanksgiving Turkey I made last year (That got swiped before I could snap good pics of it dangit!)

I am planning on doing some more yard decor (1/4" cheap plywood and cheap paint) with the scroll saw for Thanksgiving and Christmas this year...
              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...