• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • geopilot
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Lexington, KY, USA.

Ripping PVC pipe

I need to cut a piece of 2" diameter PVC pipe in half lengthwise for a boat project. Is there an easy way to do this on my BT3100? It can have a couple of holes in it, so thought of screwing to a 2x4 to stabilize against the fence. Any other tips for a safe cut? Thanks!
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

If you leave your rivin knife in place the pipe should not rotate and create half a corkscrew. Build you a guide and clamp in on and go to ripping.

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

have you considered a bandsaw? If you have one.
      Some of the same problems but things won't happen quite as fast...
      I cut a 4" PVC pipe on the bandsaw because it wouldn't fit the Table saw cut depth.

if its just 2" in diameter you can use 2 small clamps to attach it to a guide board that will keep it from rolling, don't have to use screws. Still should use a rip fence to keep it straight.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Mr__Bill
        Veteran Member
        • May 2007
        • Tacoma, WA
        • BT3000

I have done this. Ripping is easy, cutting a piece out of it is hard.

Crank the blade all the way up. I'm assuming you still have the splitter in place. use the fence and go slow. You want to cut the pipe and not melt it. You have to have a helper to pull it out of the saw. No need to clamp it to anything.

Bill

Comment

• d_meister
          Established Member
          • Feb 2009
          • La Conner, WA.
          • BT3000

I've done it by blue-taping the pvc pipe to a piece of wood the same length and running the wood against the fence. A piece of tape all the way around every foot, or less is how I did it. Comes out straight. Also used the same method to cut a strip out of the pipe to leave a "C" shape that I needed to snap over another pipe to seal the end of a vacuum bag. Just be sure that the first cut is the outside one so that the second cut is in supported material. Add tape if it isn't stable enough.

Comment

• geopilot
            Established Member
            • Jan 2006
            • Lexington, KY, USA.

Thanks to all- some great ideas. No band saw, but riving knife is on, so that will help. Will use a guide board of some sort.

Comment

Working...