• Show
Clear All
  • Snap Marc
    Established Member
    • Sep 2004
    • Atlanta, GA, USA.
    • Jet ProSHOP Full Cast Iron Hybrid

Civil War Barnwood

I just bought a slew of original barn wood from a downed barn that stood during the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain in 1864. In 2004 when hurricane Ivan passed through the metro Atlanta area, the barn finally fell and the current pan owner stored all of the wood.

Well, now the wood is here in my house. I let it all sit outside for a few weeks to inspect it, brush it off, blow it off, remove extras such as nails, etc., and now I just brought it into my basement.

My concern is that there may be pests such as termites, mites, etc. that I don't want in my home/shop, etc.

Does anyone have any advice on this topic? I will say there is much evidence of past pests, such as beautiful worm holes, natural decay, etc. But for the most part, the wood is rock hard and shows no signs of termites.

Aside from a couple of abandoned mud dauber mud tubes, and a few dead spiders, the wood seems almost petrified and void of life.

But who knows, could there be dormant larvae or eggs in there that will burst to life and take down my home? SOunds like a horror film?

Anyway, I would appreciate any advice if anyone has any. Treatment, storage, suggestions for projects even. But my biggest concern is termites. How can I know?

Thanks in advance,
    Marc

Photos:
    - The actual barn
    - An illustration of the battle (barn in drawing off in distance)
    - Two pics of some of the wood
    Attached Files
    --
    Marc
    Roswell, GA

\"You get what you pay for.\"
  • cork58
    Established Member
    • Jan 2006
    • Wasilla, AK, USA.
    • BT3000

Much to dangerous for you to have anywhere near your house and loved ones. Better to send it to me for freezing!

Dan
    Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• rcplaneguy
      Forum Newbie
      • Nov 2012

How are you going to get off the mold/mildew/algae? A dilute solution of chlorox (maybe 20%) would not change the color but would knock down those hazards as well as kill off most bugs. Oh yeah and keep 'em outside while freezing weather is a good idea.

Comment

• Snap Marc
        Established Member
        • Sep 2004
        • Atlanta, GA, USA.

Thanks for the suggestions. There isn't much, if any mold that's visible. Nor is there algae or fungus. But I did Use an air compressor to blow off any loose dirt, pieces of wood, or just overall dust. Seem to clean up very nicely.

I will produce a light bleach solution and spray it down. I brought it all inside today on my lumber rack in my shop basement, but will get the energy tomorrow or this weekend to take it back outside.

Would there be any pest control chemicals that I should try. I realize the bleach would have some effect towards that, pests are my biggest concern not mold mildew or algae.
        --
        Marc
        Roswell, GA

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I have been working with 100+ year old South Ga. pine barn wood for several years now. I have had insects hatch inside my shop in boards that were stacked. All infestation was on boards that were touching. When stored outside under the shelter insect damage was also noted. It seems that it was only on boards that were stacked with no stickers. The wood borer bee likes these boards too and picks out the best board and bores a tunnel right up the middle of it. None of the insects brought in the shop from these boards seem to bother anything in the shop. I vaccumed them up and dumped them in the garbage can. Any that crawl off probably get killed by the pest control guys roach and ant spray around the walls.
          The biggest hazard I have encountered is hidden nails. A metal detector is a must or your planer is toast. Lead bullets and shotgun pellets cut easily and leave character.
          capncarl

Comment

• Snap Marc
            Established Member
            • Sep 2004
            • Atlanta, GA, USA.

That's great advice. I'll make sure I use stickers on all. So you think the insects found the wood, rather than were already living in the wood?

Regarding metal, yes, I will get one, but at the same time, I'm not sure I will plane this wood. It's amazing as it is and I'd hate to plane off the character!

One piece has a hand forged metal hasp lock on it. It's quite nice. A must for a decorative touch.

I would love to build a coffee table from this wood, but not sure the look or feel. Maybe a plywood carcass and the barn wood as outer beauty??? Any ideas for plans?

What have you built with your barn wood? Of course picture frames and wall art, etc. I'm sure. I'd love to see pics if you have. Thanks my fellow Georgian!
            --
            Marc
            Roswell, GA

Comment

• tlt
              Established Member
              • Jan 2006
              • Tucson, Arizona.
              • Delta 36-682

ideas for use

This isn't quite barnwood, but I built an entry beach earlier this month out of some 25+ year old fencing. The carcass was built out of plywood, and I "clad" it with the fencing using nails and glue. Lightly sanded the wood, and put one coat of general finishes poly/oil mix to seal it a little.
              Attached Files

Comment

• greenacres2
                • Dec 2011
                • La Porte, IN
                • Ryobi BT3000

Seems like I've read somewhere that kiln drying kills any live insects or eggs--one of the benefits over air drying. If true, it would only work for what is already in the wood and not be a preventive measure for new critters!!

earl

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

Marc
                  I have spent countless hours trying to find examples of furniture that was built using old barn wood that suited my taste and didn't clash too bad with the existing decor, and that I could fabricate and sell. Most of the furniture that I see that uses barn wood with the rough finish is at consignment stores and mom/pop antique stores where someone brushes the gray off the wood and crudely cobbles a table, bar, or some cabinet together and calls it furniture. Most are junk.
                  I cleaned up about 75 bf of pine, brushed off all the old gray dead wood using a 6 inch fine wire cup brush on a large side grinder, down to the good wood that showed the old saw cuts and clean weathered wood. The intentions were to build a dining room table and side table for the barn owner. Nobody wanted a table with this much distress showing and all the cracks and crevices to catch fried chicken crumbs, grits and spilled gravy. About all I could find a use for it is walls and mantles, and it is too thick to use for walls without ripping, and then it is too wide for my equipment to rip.
                  The real character is under the gray when you run it through the planer. Then you can build something that everybody wants. It is hard to get enough useable boards planed with all of the side distress. Most planks have so much damage you get little usable wood. Most of my usable wood comes from the 2x4's that I rip and plane. (It is too valuable to use the whole 2x4 for table tops unless it is for yourself.)
                  Attached is a photo of the dining table that I built for the barn owner. It is built using the original farm breakfast table as a base, that is another story.
                  The other sorry photo is a table top of a skinny leg telephone table that I build. It shows how pretty the wood really is.
                  capncarl
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...