• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Lets Settle This Right Now

This may have been asked before, but there are many new members that could have some new input. What have you found to be the best way to cap off a partially used tube of caulk?

• Cubsfan
    Established Member
    • Jan 2004
    • CO.

The way I generally use is with a wire nut.

However, in this month's Family Handyman, I saw the suggestion of using plumber's putty, so I'm going to give that a shot next time I have an open tube.

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

I simply clean the end, then put duct tape over it. Only had one tube harden on me, and that tube had been cracked on the side, not related to the capping...

I actually have a little gizmo cap thing that I got as a freebie promo thing when I bought a case of Alex Plus years ago that you just push on to the tube. It has an o ring, and it fits really nice and keeps the tube sealed up. But I haven't seen them since. Would love to have about 3 more. 1 for white caulk, 1 for clear, 1 for brown, 1 for tan... Yes I use various caulk colors around the house...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• sweensdv
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2002
        • WI
        • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I use Nozzle Caps that I get from Lee Valley. There have been times that I've used them and when I went back to finish off the tube, sometimes almost a year later, the caulk at the tip of the nozzle was still as solf as when the tube was first used.

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

I use dried caulk, it never fails to plug up the end.
          Erik

Comment

• phrog
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2005
            • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Someone on this site (and I don't remember who) suggested using the wax rings that seal the toilet to the flange.

I tried it and it works for months if not years. Simply wipe the tube off, plunge the end of the tube into the wax ring and you're done. When you go to use the tube again, wipe the wax off, express a little until the wax has all been shot out, and you're ready to use the tube again. Very simple and it has never failed for me.

It makes sense - if this stuff will seal the toilet to the floor without leaking, it ought to seal the end of the tube.
            Last edited by phrog; 01-14-2013, 11:49 AM.
            Richard

Comment

• cwsmith
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
              • BT3100-1

First off, I try not to have left over stuff in the tubes... whatever "plug" (wire nuts, etc.) always seems sort of a "last second" thought, and thus not too sucessful for months of storage.

However, I had some left over PEX tubing from a job our plumber did for us. It's 1/2-inch ID. I found it snugs nicely over the end of tube. I simply plugged one end with a fitted plastic cap and some glue.

Presently I have that on a tube of roofing seal where after a year, the tube still is useable. So, the PEX plug seems to be a viable plug for future use.

I also have used a more pliable rubber-like cap left over from a pantry-shelving project. HD (and others) sell these white plastic coated wire shelving and to cap over the ends of the main rod, they sell these small rubber caps. They're quick to use, and seem to seal well provided your nozzle tip is not cut back too far.

CWS
              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• greenacres2
                • Dec 2011
                • La Porte, IN
                • Ryobi BT3000

Originally posted by sweensdv
                I use Nozzle Caps that I get from Lee Valley. There have been times that I've used them and when I went back to finish off the tube, sometimes almost a year later, the caulk at the tip of the nozzle was still as solf as when the tube was first used.
                That reminds me...i've got a doctor's appointment on Friday.

earl

Comment

• JimD
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Lexington, SC.

I am another duck tape user. I use the silver fabric type tape, not the aluminum with adhesive tape meant to seal HVAC ducts. I always have some around and it works well for this. Latex caulk will keep close to indefinitely sealed this way.

Has anybody had success with long term storage of silicone caulk? I have not.

For little tubes with a screw off top, I like to tear off a small piece of aluminum foil and screw the cap back on over it. I've even used this successfully with silicone sealants.

Jim

Comment

• chopnhack
                    Veteran Member
                    • Oct 2006
                    • Florida
                    • Ryobi BT3100

I guess it really depends on what you are saving. I have never had really good success with silicone, but with latex based caulks the tip of one of the fingers of a used pair of thin rubber gloves does the trick. I always have a pair of used disposable gloves lying around so its free I cut the finger at the base, put it on the tube, pump out a little caulk and then wrap the finger around a little to tighten it and tape it shut.
                    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• toolguy1000
                      Veteran Member
                      • Mar 2009
                      • westchester cnty, ny

lots of good suggestions here. i really like the beeswax idea. gotta try that.
                      there's a solution to every problem.......you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

• dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by JimD
                        I am another duck tape user. I use the silver fabric type tape, not the aluminum with adhesive tape meant to seal HVAC ducts. I always have some around and it works well for this. Latex caulk will keep close to indefinitely sealed this way.

Has anybody had success with long term storage of silicone caulk? I have not.

For little tubes with a screw off top, I like to tear off a small piece of aluminum foil and screw the cap back on over it. I've even used this successfully with silicone sealants.

Jim
                        The Duck tape method works great for Silicone Caulk and RTV as well... Been doing it this way for probably 20 years, like I mentioned above. Only one failure, and that was due to a split tube...
                        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Carpenter96
                          Established Member
                          • Aug 2011
                          • Barrie ON Canada
                          • BT 3000

Caulk

+1 on the Nozzle Caps from LV. I have used wire nuts in the past but they are not as good as the nozzle caps. Regards Bob

Comment

• durango dude
                            • Mar 2011
                            • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                            • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

deck screw (Kreg)

Comment

• chopnhack
                              Veteran Member
                              • Oct 2006
                              • Florida
                              • Ryobi BT3100

To start another rub on the topic.... do you then store your tubes up or down

I store them down.
                              I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

Working...