1 sheet plywood rolling clamp cart design.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

1 sheet plywood rolling clamp cart design.

Just knocked this out in Sketchup, it's a basic plywood rolling clamp cart.

Sketchup File Link.

Materials:
    1 sheet 3/4" plywood. Grade not really important. It's a clamp cart after all.

4 3" locking swivel casters.

16 "Broom Clips" to hold pipe clamps.

3 2x2x8 construction grade pine, or 2 cheap 2x4x8 ripped to 2x2x8 (cheaper).

1.25" coated deck screws.

There is absolutely NO fancy joinery here. This is all utility screw and glue stuff. The cross bar heights can be adjusted to work with your specific clamps. This is sized to fit 144 Harbor Freight F type bar clamps or similar, plus 8 3/4" pipe clamps (using 6' pipes).

The advantage to this design is there is a LOT of clamp storage in a very small space. The disadvantage is that with a footprint of 12x36", and an overall height nearly 6' 5" it could prove to be somewhat top heavy.

I claim no responsibility for any accidents if anyone builds one, loads it up, and it topples on them, others, or property and causes damage. I merely offer this as an idea... Use it at your own peril...

I did consider going lower and wider, but the point of the narrowness was to be able to slide this thing into a small floor footprint space for stowage.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • tommyt654
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2008

Looks good,tho I think a wider base might offset any toppling over options

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by tommyt654
      Looks good,tho I think a wider base might offset any toppling over options
      Agreed, the idea behind it was to be able to slide in to a small space... It is possible to go as wide as 24" with the base, but that messes up other dimensions and gets out of the 1 sheet idea... But it IS doable...

I am banging around some other concepts as well... Just a scrap plywood base, and 2x2 uprights / crossbars... 18x36 base would be a lot more stable for sure...
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Take 2

Widened the base to 18"x36" which should help substantially with stability, but will increase the footprint by 1/3.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehou...2&prevstart=24

Comment

• pelligrini
          Veteran Member
          • Apr 2007
          • Fort Worth, TX
          • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by dbhost
          The advantage to this design is there is a LOT of clamp storage in a very small space. The disadvantage is that with a footprint of 12x36", and an overall height nearly 6' 5" it could prove to be somewhat top heavy.
          Your second design would help with the stability some. I really think the first design would get you hurt and/or something broken for sure, especially with swivel casters.

Neat idea, allthough I still think the center of gravity is still too high. Couple that with the weight of it filled there's no way you would ever want to try to stop it from falling.
          Erik

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

Sketchup Model

This one is shorter, allowing storage for 96 F bar clamps, or whatever combination you want. This still offers and obscene amount of clamp storage, reduces overall height substantially, thus improving stability... This would also have lots of left over scrap material...

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

Could you change the center of gravity, by placing the heads down below, and using a light chain to hold the tops in?
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• tommyt654
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2008

Better, but I was thinkin more along the lines of an A-frame than rectangle to eliminate the toppling effect and provide stability as well as strength.Overall a nice design tho

Comment

• chopnhack
                  Veteran Member
                  • Oct 2006
                  • Florida
                  • Ryobi BT3100

I know you said that you didn't want or couldn't increase the footprint due to space constraints - is it possible to mount the casters on angle iron and spread them out away from the main body? Don't know if you have the ability to sneak the casters around other machinery and nest them together or if you have absolutely zero space i.e. between boxes or cabs, etc. That would keep you within size and within 1 sheet.
                  I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by chopnhack
                    I know you said that you didn't want or couldn't increase the footprint due to space constraints - is it possible to mount the casters on angle iron and spread them out away from the main body? Don't know if you have the ability to sneak the casters around other machinery and nest them together or if you have absolutely zero space i.e. between boxes or cabs, etc. That would keep you within size and within 1 sheet.
                    I was thinking about sliding this between one of those tall plastic shelving units and the Reverse Osmosis system...

Comment

• chopnhack
                      Veteran Member
                      • Oct 2006
                      • Florida
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Maybe you can skew the "legs" in a z shape to accommodate your restrictions. Have you ever seen those department store racks for hanging clothes? The casters are on a z shaped frame allowing you to nest the racks tightly together and in crowded back rooms.
                      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                        Veteran Member
                        • Nov 2007
                        • Buena Park, CA
                        • CM 21829

Dave, not sure if this is a viable option - but you could reduce tippage by adding four (4) 12in 2x3 "pontoons" with casters attached that pivot down from the narrow sides of the cart. Might eat up a little of the width available there for clamp storage, but when lowered and locked/pinned into pontoon position, would provide up to 32in base width on an 18in wide cart. (18in w - 10in "gear up" loss [5in/side] + 24in of "gear down" reach). Leaves about 8" on each end for clamp storage. You could store shorter clamps above the retracted gear.
                        Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
                          Dave, not sure if this is a viable option - but you could reduce tippage by adding four (4) 12in 2x3 "pontoons" with casters attached that pivot down from the narrow sides of the cart. Might eat up a little of the width available there for clamp storage, but when lowered and locked/pinned into pontoon position, would provide up to 32in base width on an 18in wide cart. (18in w - 10in "gear up" loss [5in/side] + 24in of "gear down" reach). Leaves about 8" on each end for clamp storage. You could store shorter clamps above the retracted gear.
                          I am completely at a loss for what you are getting at. A sketch might help...

I am not adverse to some sort of kick down caster or leveler if that would work better.

My goals here were...

#1. Store as many clamps as possible.
                          #2. Use as little space as possible.
                          #3, Be as inexpensive to build as possible...

Comment

• LCHIEN
                            Internet Fact Checker
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Katy, TX, USA.
                            • BT3000 vintage 1999

dave, I learned from experience that four swivel casters on a tall narrow item is dangerous.
                            The reason is that when you change direction the center of gravity remains the same but the points of contact may shift several inches around the COG as the wheels swivel. The worst thing is that if you push it from the wide side that adds a vector that pushes the COG in the direction opposite of where the wheels moved to.

In other words, 4 swivel casters work against you when you push it sideways, the swivels move the support points closer to the critical COG+force vector where it gets tippy.
                            Loring in Katy, TX USA
                            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                              Veteran Member
                              • Feb 2005
                              • Independence, MO, USA.
                              • bt3100

Some other options to consider, that will change the cost, but might make this less top heavy. Use a steel plate for the bottom, or build a box at the bottom, with weights/concrete, etc. in it.

I didn't pay attention to the caster part, generally I have found I like things better with two swivel and two straight casters.
                              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...